1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

What players do you miss watching?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Defy9, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Defy9

Defy9 Member

Non-Rockets as well, we obviously all miss Hakeem...

From the top of my head i've got Mitch Richmond, Glen Rice, Tim Hardaway, Penny Hardaway, Chris Webber, Shawn Kemp

More to come as I think of them...

From that you can see the era of basketball I started watching...ahh.

2. clippy

clippy Member

Magic & Bird

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Larry Johnson
    Hakeem, Mourning, Robinson Basically any of the great Centers from the 90's

I miss the great post players. I'm not happy with the league getting more Guard Orientated.

4. Defy9

Defy9 Member

Oh yes! Larry Johnson and Mourning added to my list too...

I enjoy watching guards as you can tell from my list so that bit doesn't effect me too much, however I do miss seeing the battle of the big men, there aren't any matchups now that could even compare to matchups like Ewing v Olajuwon and such...

5. Defy9

Defy9 Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-lAvILelIUg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  6. sw847

sw847 Member

I miss the all the big men battles, ewing, hakeem, robinson, kemp, young shaq, dekembe.....

guards...I miss magic, tim/penny hardaway, kevin johnson, miller...

one person is particular was the Sir Charles. Damn I enjoyed watching him play.

I hate the modern nba basketball is not cause of the guard orientation, but because of all the ticky tack fouls. I miss the physical play of the nba. Looking back at the highlights of the 90s and 80s, a lot of those plays would of been fouls in today's game. hate this 'can't breath on a guard *****'.

Also one thing I hate the most is the Charge call. it seems like guys are reluctant to drive all the way in cause so many charges are being called. which in other words, all the damn floppers.

guys like barkley and rodman were undersized for their position, but i doubt you would ever seem them deliberately try to draw a charge. I mean comeon, I hate seeing centers/power forwards step up and draw charges. either go up and block that ***** or dish out a hard foul so no one will bring it back in again.

7. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

All the greats from the 1990's:

Guards: Tim Hardaway, Clyde Drexler, Michael Jordan, Gary Payton, Terrell Brandon, Reggie Miller, Penny Hardaway

Forwards: Charles Barkley, Shawn Kemp, Chris Webber, Dennis Rodman, Glen Rice, Anthony Mason, Glenn Robinson, Grant Hill (in his prime), Detlef Schrempf

Centers: Hakeem Olajuwon, Dikembe Mutombo, Alonzo Mourning, David Robinson, Shaq (in his prime), Patrick Ewing.... such a great era for big men

I like the NBA now, but back in the 1990's it was really something special.

8. Steve_Francis_rules

There aren't even any matchups now that could compare to Rik Smits vs. Vlade Divac.

I really miss the great centers.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Pete Maravich, Rick Barry, Larry Bird

10. DouggYsTyLe06

DouggYsTyLe06 Member

Steve Francis for sure, even though we didnt win much for a couple of seasons with him, i dont remember a game of watching him i didnt enjoy, he plays with so much energy and always plays hard every night, not to mention his crazy dunks/crossovers. Thats what i enjoy to watch.

11. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Payton to Kemp
    Oakley to anybody
    Rodman vs Malone
    Miller vs NY
    and my all-time favorites....Shawn Bradley highlight/lowlight segments on Sports center :cool:

12. VBG

VBG Member

Tracy McGrady when he was good. Vince Carter when he was pure explosiveness.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I remember walking in Jowers center on the campus of SWT on a beautiful day in October 1991. I was getting ready to warmup vs Supple, the president of SWT before practice. Coach Jim Woolridge comes in with this look on his face I had never seen out of him. He told us to come into the office to watch something. It was the Magic Johnson retirement deal becuase he contracted hiv. Man, talk about a kick to the nuts.

I've never cried for another man or after a person I really didnt know, but I felt like crying. I thought Magic was gonna die and we were robbed of his continues greatness. I miss Magic playing big time. The NBA has tried finding the next magic, but there will never be a pure pg at 6'9 who was a franchise changer. I mean, he made ac green and byron scott into all star players. That performance in the finals as a rookie will be forever legendary.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

15. Sanity2disChaos

The Vince back when he played in Toronto was something to watch ...!! T-mac wasnt that bad either.....its crazy that the Raps had both and couldnt keep either together....SMH...

16. Mr Chuck Norris

That my pick too T-Mac and Vince

17. Steve_Francis_rules

It was fun watching him lose in the playoffs every year.

18. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Dennis "The Worm" Rodman... the rightful owner of Frank Brickowski:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Upoao1L1dSo" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="480"></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/htRsHwtsWic" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="480"></iframe>

19. Shakee

Shakee Member

I agree with this list...just add:

Pre-Injury Penny Hardaway and Tracy McGrady
    Larry Johnson
    Alonzo Mourning
    Latrell Sprewell

20. payaso

payaso Member

As a kid:

Paul Westphal had about 4 or 5 seasons in the late 70s where he was the best 2-guard in the league. He scored from everywhere, and he could get out on the breakaway and throw down some vicious jams on the dead run. He was my favorite back then.
    Of course, Kareem was a constant with the sky hook, from his time with the Bucks and with hair- automatic. His going to the hated Lakers removed him from 'my five'.
    A more bizarre choice would be Rich Kelley, just because everything he did looked so awkward, and he had such a hideous shot (looked like he was shooting with a broken arm) it was amazing that he was an effective 7-footer.

As a teen:

Magic broke the mold of what I felt the human body was capable. The way he ran the point from the top of the key and put passes on a line to his big men in the paint, and handled the ball on the break at 6'9" was a game-changer. Even as a hated Laker I couldn't deny him that.

Forward from that:

Tom Chambers was to the 4 what Magic was to the 1- he played the position with 2-guard skills.

After Kareem, the next Mr. Automatic was Olajuwon; even more impressively so because of his footwork and repertoire. 'How does he do that?'

Mario Elie, all grit and guts, plus that looooong stride made it look like he was moving at half-speed as he went past defenders in the paint for a jam.

But one name that seems strangely absent here is Sean Elliott. Maybe because I've seen him play since high school my opinion is a little slanted- but he still moved quicker at 6'8" than anyone else I've seen at that size. The only one who comes close is 'Melo.

Yeah, it's hard to find anyone to appreciate these days; I'd have to say Scola and Ray Allen would be the most enjoyable at this point, from a skills and smarts perspective.