1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tyler Zeller in the first round?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Brandyon, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

As desperate as the Rockets are for a legit big man, it doesn't mean that just any player will fit into the system that has been successful for us under RA. Yao Ming did nothing but slow the team down while he was playing early on in the year. That's not to say that we couldn't have made it work with Yao, but it, along with any minutes Brad Miller gives us, shows what a slow big will do.

Tyler Zeller has progressed enough for me to think that he would be a solid pick for the Rockets with a mid first round pick. He's always been able to run the floor better than most bigs, and has only continued to prove that he can finish the ball in transition due to a nice, soft touch around the rim. Solid rebounding, solid range, improving shot blocking, and seems to display the basketball IQ to excel in Adlemans read-and-react style of offense....

He fits what this team needs at the 5 better than any other player that might drop to us in this years draft (Barring an amazing lottery draw). The guy needs to add quite a bit of size to his frame. He's not strong enough to guard a lot of 5's that are currently in the league, but he will still be 21 until early 2012. If we end up in the 14-20 range, and he is there.... he is the best option if you want a 5 who has any chance of contributing in under 3 years time.... Injury may be another concern though.

2. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

He's not much of a shot blocker, but I like Zeller quite a bit.

I'd definitely consider drafting him, depending on where we'll pick and who else will be available.

I was thinking about a NBA comparison for him the other day. Poor man's Pau Gasol maybe?

3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Please stop talking about him. He's coming back. I refuse to believe otherwise. :mad:

4. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind scooping up the White Falcon at the end of the lottery... he's got the best right-handed baby hook in college hoops, it's pure gold.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Spencer Hawes?

6. lionaire

lionaire Member

He's a big softy with one offensive move.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This is my first impression as well, but I could be swayed otherwise depending on what Morey's crew thinks.

8. University Blue

TZ could become the fourth line in my signature.

9. University Blue

Oops, KM, the ninja, is so quiet, I forgot he was there. I meant "fifth line."

10. favhr#12

favhr#12 Member

maybe well be the vcu of the loterry n end up with a top 5 pick n get...Harisson Barnes or jared sullinger if he goes out

11. thebender

thebender Member

I must admit I did like what I saw out of him in the last few games and this had crossed my mind. I wouldn't be disappointed if we took a chance on him with our second pick in the first round (depending on what we do with the first pick I guess)

12. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I really liked what I saw as well so count me on the bandwagon.

He is a quite skilled 7'. Can run the floor very well, seems like a solid rebounder.

Only thing which concerns me is his weight. He could bulk up and add in the strength department.

Late lottery for a draft class which is supposed to be weak seems about right.

Overall, if the Rockets drafted him, I think I'd be pleased.

13. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I don't know.

Hawes is a better shooter and has range beyond the 3 point line. Zeller is more a 15 feet in guy.
    Zeller is more agile and his overall game more fluid. He runs the floor real well, while Hawes is a bit of a stiff. Hawes is a center, while Zeller is more a PF/C.

The more I think about it the more I like your (young) Boozer/Sullinger comparison from the other day though.

14. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

He only uses one offensive move right now, but he's a 7' center. Name a hand full 7 footers who have entered the draft with a bevy of low post shots... They aren't common. You need 2-3 go-to moves, and he definitely looks to have the needed footwork.

His weight/strength is my biggest concern as well. I'm not sure how he is expected to develop physically, but I thought his frame looked like it could carry more weight. I'd feel pretty confident about his future is he were to show up to the summer league at 260-265.

15. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Zeller is not a 7-footer. He's listed at 6'11 (on DraftExpress; just noticed UNC/ESPN list him at 7'0"), so he's probably more around the 6'10ish range. I think he's a PF in the NBA -- he doesn't have the weight/strength to guard the center position in the NBA.

I've always thought of him as one of those really good college post players, but not somebody who will make a big difference at the next level.

He's got a decent hook that developed nicely, but he's not really a spot up shooter like Hawes is. I don't think he has much of a post game outside the hook. He does run the break extremely well for a big man, often beating the opposing center down the floor twice a game. He's starting to finish with dunks instead of layups more this year, so he's looked a lot better.

He's had some health issues his first two years, but he managed to stay healthy this year. I don't really think he's great defensively.. uses his length to alter shots, but he doesn't possess a shotblocking instinct or great athleticism/length. He could use another year getting stronger.. and winning his second national championship.

#15 LongTimeFan, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Tyler Zeller's projected to go in the bottom of the first. I would hope that at 14 or 16 there's better talent available.

17. McWai

McWai Member

can we have John Henson instead? he is PF though. i think he could be in the center position.

18. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

19. pople

pople Member

Looks like we're going to end up with the Magic's pick (via Pheonix) in the mid 20's. If TZ is still available then, I think he'd be worth a shot, but I wouldn't use an earlier pick on him.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He's not ready for the NBA. A guy like him needs to stay another year in college.

Would not draft him before the last couple of picks in the 1st round. It will take some time for him to develop.