1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dream's Stats Predictions in Today's NBA?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spankie, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Spankie

Spankie Member

If a prime Hakeem Olajuwon played in today's NBA, what would his season averages be??

Its quite interesting to ponder about considering now the NBA is filled with superstar guards compared to the days when Hakeem had to face Robinson, Ewing etc.

I swear the only player closest to being a threat to a prime Olajuwon is Howard, and i reckon he would get abused by Hakeem.. Brains>Power & Muscle.

My prediction would be 29Points, 12 Rebs, 4 assists, 3.5 blocks, 1 steal per game with about 3 fouls each game and playing approximately 38 minutes.

Btw,let's assume he is playing on an ass of a team like Sacramento. What does CF reckon??:):)

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Why do you think his Rebounds, blocks and steals would go down?

If any of his stats would go down it would be his points, with the different rules on illegal defence (although in his time the teams already played zone defence against him). It is not that he would benefit from the hand check rule like a good guard would do. Although I think even his points would be a bit higher since there are very few good centers.

My guess is stats would be slightly higher on all accounts since the quality of the centers are much lower now than in Hakeem's time.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I think D Howard would probably struggle to score efficiently on Hakeem. I don't think anyone could guard Hakeem, though that's no different than back when he was playing.

4. Spankie

Spankie Member

... my bad Rebounds: 15. Blocks: 4.8 .Steals: 2.3ish
    I was thinking r****dedly. Btw i don't realy think zone defence hurts Hakeem too much cuz of the spacing nowadays.

5. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Dwight would definitely have all the trouble in the world trying to defend Hakeem or trying to score on him. Dwight had enough trouble in his matchups with a healthy Yao.. imagine what Hakeem would do to him.

6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

The problem for Dwight is that in todays NBA he is stronger and faster than the other centers. And he does not have that advantage against hakeem. I think Dwight would be destroyed by Hakeem.

I agree, Hakeem's jumper is to good for zone. And he was fast enough to beat double teams.

7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

When we say Prime Hakeem Olajuwon, are we talking late-80s, early-90s when he was at his athletic peak, or mid-90s when he had lost a little bit of athleticism but was at his most skilled?

I think the latter version probably would have been less affected, both positively and negatively. Young Dream would have put up insane rebounding and shot blocking numbers and maybe would have seen his scoring dip a little bit.

8. Spankie

Spankie Member

later, in the championship runs and when he got all those awards

9. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

A team with a prime Hakeem would never be an "ass" of a team, no matter what talent they surround him with. Just sayin.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

In Hakeem's day the zone was banned. Half the teams still played it against us because they had no choice; they just had to pull a Utah and pray the refs wouldn't call illegal D every single time we had the ball. We got a few more technical free throws as a result of those calls, but beyond that Hakeem was still regularly doubled and tripled.

I think in today's game people would have played Hakeem a lot different. Guys like Shaq and Dwight have changed the NBA such that it's more difficult for true big men to draw fouls on the low block now. My guess in today's game is that Hakeem's assist#'s would go up due to his ability to see through the defense and find the open man in the zone, but that his points would also go down also.

11. arubato

arubato Member

Tyreke won't pass the ball to him.

12. postaboi713

postaboi713 Member

Ive been a rockets fan my whole life and will continue to be a die hard fan through thick snd thin but some of the 'D' riding yall do on here is sickening! Smh •_•

13. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Demarcus Cousins would retire from shame of getting his A** kicked by a teammate. Hakeem would take the ball from Tyreke.

14. rtsy

rtsy Member

Dream had a hard time when he was double teamed before he got the ball. I don't know how well he would have worked out playing against a zone defense, epically in his later years. His post moves would have been stifled.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Adding Hakeem to our current group with very good three point shooters on all ends would be nuts.

16. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Kevin Martin's man doubling hakeem makes me laugh when I think about it.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They were a few times in his career. Maybe not an ass of a team but pretty mediocre. It takes 5 and I think people really underrate our role players during ship years.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

here's how you bump a 7 year old thread (@Mathrocker and @swyyyguy ), especially if your goal is to find a non-tinman one ... ;)

dmorey was responding to this tweet

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Prime Dream > all these Starscreams in the game today

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who the hell is going to win the MVP and Defensive Player of the Year and FINALS MVP in the same year?

Answer

NOBODY WILL
    THEY CAN DREAM ABOUT IT

BUT THEY AIN'T DREAM