1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Chuck Hayes logs one of the most improbable triple-doubles in history

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daeyeth, Mar 24, 2011.

1. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

The Chuckwagon has arrived!!

ARTICLE

2. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

lol at javale mcgee

3. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Certainly seemed unlikely, but he had a game that he came pretty damn close (like three assists away), just a week or two ago. That alone made me question if and when the Wagon could get himself one. Certainly happened sooner than I thought, but with his vastly improved passing skills, I assumed it was only a matter of time until Chuck gets one of these.

4. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Ha Ha - That was a crack up. Dude is way way over rated on this board.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Hayes getting the props he deserves -- he is the true glue of this team.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I agree. It's not that unusual for a good passing big man to get an pts-rebs-ast triple double, especially when he plays in a passing-friendly system like Adelman's. It's not unusual for Chuck to get 10 pts and 10 rebounds when playing starters minutes nowadays, and he's averaging 3 assist a game, a couple more long outlets and smart back-cuts, open spot up 3s and you can get up to 6, 7 or 8 assists in a hurry.

Kenny Thomas, for example had one with the Kings. Others who have had them include Oakley, Brad Miller, Vlade, Antony Mason, Larry Johnson, Diaw, Odom, etc.

My theory is that if you are a big man who can get 3 or so assists per 36 minutes, there's a good chance you will come close to a triple double a few times.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Is it me or is all this "love" Chuck is receiving bordering on disrespect? "The most improbable triple double ever", really? Chuck can rebound, pass, and more recently score with his left. Why can't he get another one?

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

chuck has had zero - and i mean ZERO - offensive game until very recently. most improbable ever? probably not. but damn close.

9. highlander3128

It is somewhat true that Chuck may not get another triple double again in his NBA career, but he is the heart and soul of the team right now.

10. liljojo

liljojo Member

If we played the Warriors 82 times a season, how many tripdubs would Chuck have?

I'd say about 15.

11. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Good point. Why not? Next time it will be againt a better team.

I also think he can average a double double season if he polishes his offense a bit more.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't think you guys are giving enough credit to the relative rarity of the triPle double. It's not a no-hitter but also doesn't happen regularly and rarely by role players. Reread the article. Chuck rarely gets double doubles. If he keeps playing like he has and gets another one it doesn't invalidate the improbable-ness of it, rather it validates chuck's gotten a LOT better. He has seemingly gotten a lot better, hence the near trie double and then actually getting it. Bit will it last? Who knows.

The article was in no way disrespectful.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Chuck is rated 66 and has a Michael Jackson skin tone on NBA2K11.

No respect.

14. SternSuckS

SternSuckS Member

No.

If you read the article it's based on his career stats, not his actual game. We wouldn't be talking about this, or having this thread, if the chances of him getting triple doubles were great.

15. BigBull17

BigBull17 Member

What an embarrassing defensive team.

Yeah, and his man defense is a d.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No kidding. I think Hayes benefited at the nexus of good rebounding and passing skills, being in an Adelman offense that racks up assists for everybody, and playing a Warriors team that allows a ton of possessions and plays matador defense. Hayes is still awesome and the triple-double is still awesome, but it wasn't an accident that it was against the Warriors.

Speaking of, does anyone collect stats on how many triple-doubles teams have allowed? I bet the Warriors lead.

17. Prince

Prince Member

way to go Chuckie!

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Agreed. The people saying it's improbable don't watch Chuck Hayes very often. I'm not saying he is the next Oscar Robertson but it's no secret (or maybe it is outside of Houston) that he is a fantastic passer. The scoring and rebounding part are a piece of cake.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he picks up another one before the season ends.

19. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Yeah they lead the league, they've given up 4. Interestingly, all four have been low scoring ones, including one to Duncan in only 33 minutes lol.

20. rju1986

rju1986 Member

[​IMG]