1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

GHill's response to Rose' comments

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RV6, Mar 16, 2011.

Tags:
  1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Duke and other universities that can cherry-pick have been doing this for years. Whoop dee doo! This is why I think Coach K is so overrated as a developer of "character". He didn't need challenging kids to be successful, so why bother? But at the same time, these players were going to be successful on the court and in life regardless if they went to Duke or not. Coach K was fortunate to lure them to Durham and get credit for it.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think you went way off topic, or you are agreeing with Rose. I can't tell.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

ROFL. That was about the most educated b****-slap ever... lol.

Ad ingenium faciendum...

Love me some Grant Hill. He's an awesome individual and still possibly my saddest "what could've been" story in the NBA. Awesome response to a pretty poor comment on Rose's part.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I have zero problem with his terminology in describing how he felt about Duke players. My issue is he did not make it clear he no longer feels that way. Sorry, but when you bring up a term so explosive, you must be clear about your current feelings if they have changed. Rose impaled himself with help from Grant Hill.

Regarding Duke's recruiting, I agree with him. There isn't much argument and it really isn't worth much discussion. Maybe if Duke was unique in that regard, but it isn't. Every school would do it if they could but only a few can go after "cream" only and be successful. I suppose I should give Coach K credit for crafting [whatever it is] at Duke that made it a magnet for gifted, well-adjusted basketball players.

For the record: Over the years I have developed a very strong dislike for Duke that has moderated only slightly. I now respect Coach K more because even with the one-and-done mess added to college basketball, he still produces a championship level program.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

"In his garbled but sweeping comment that Duke recruits only “black players that were ‘Uncle Toms,’ ” Jalen seems to change the usual meaning of those very vitriolic words into his own meaning, i.e., blacks from two-parent, middle-class families. He leaves us all guessing exactly what he believes today."

This is pretty much why Hill decided he needed to reply. It's also what some posters here failed to see. Hill later writes about having common sense, making adult decisions, and making the best of them. I still haven't caught the documentary, but from what i understand Rose hasn't taken back his comments or gone out of his way to say he sees it differently now. He just made an excuse for it. As executive producer of the documentary, it sounds like he should have practiced better common sense and decision making in how he explained and presented his comments.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You probably would lose. Lots of people (including white middle class people) hate and want to root against Duke the basketball program. And lots of people think Dukies don't make good professional players. Duke is kind of like the Lakers of college basketball.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

Hills is entitled to clear his name in response to Rose interview.

I for one don't want to comment on the class divide in a minority, except Hill's response is a bit over the top.

8. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

How is this a brilliant essay when Hill is addressing Rose's PAST FEELINGS like it's what he's saying now? And now that people who clearly didn't watch the documentary are realizing this, they're backtracking...

'Well, Rose clearly feels this way.' No he does not clearly feel this way.

'Well, Grant Hill is a classy ex-superstar while Jalen Rose is a dumbass ESPN analyst so Grant's essay rules.' Ummm...ok?

'Well, Rose should have said he doesn't feel that way anymore in the documentary.' Well, the story was about what was happening in 1992. Plus, my impression was Rose WAS speaking about his feelings like they were just that of an immature kid. Remember the part where he says he thought Christian Laettner was just a pretty boy b**** UNTIL he played against him and saw he could ball? To me, that was an acknowledgment of a kid growing up and realizing not all his resentful views about the world were true anymore.

Grant Hill wrote a very eloquent article...too bad it's about a situation he completely took out of context.

1 person likes this.
  9. Shaud

Shaud Member

Kind of funny that people bash Jalen for this but yet a lot of clutch fans jokes around referring to Shane Battier as a white guy.

Jalen already said he was mostly angry and jealous. He was probably a bit immature at 18 hence why he felt that way.

10. amaru

amaru Member

Jalen.......I'm disappointed in you.

Being raised by both parents does not make you a "sellout". Most "black" americans are raised by both parents even if they do not live with one of them.

11. heypartner

It was so good; it was almost unfair. Like embarrassing a kid.

Imagine the reverse, Hill saying Artest was a Queensbridge thug who could never go to Duke. Artest then does an over-the-top, hilarious Webcast retort complete with Rap song. haha. That would be just as unfair.

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

"Mein Kampf" was honest, too.

Godwin's Law...check!

1 person likes this.
  13. Shaud

Shaud Member

Jalen also said he understands why Duke recruits the players they recruit because there is less likely a chance a violation will happen like the one in Ohio St.

Even before this Jalen thing I have heard a lot of fans refer to Duke as the white boys. I guess if Jalen never said "uncle tom" this wouldn't be as big of a deal.

14. amaru

amaru Member

The fact that Jalen thinks that going to Duke makes a black men a "sell-out" shows me that he had embraced the idea, knowingly or not, that going to college was to be looked down upon unless you were playing some kind of sport.

Idk if he feels this way currently or not, but this kind of mis-education still exists in a lot of ppl.

15. Mattj

Mattj Member

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Wait, what? If he said that Notre Dame only recruits a certain type of black kid? I'm willing to bet Notre Dame would put Duke to shame if you counted their fans.

17. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

IMHO, Grant Hill responded, intelligently and with eloquence, like an 18 year old.

18. heypartner

On the ESPN interview with Bayless today, they were discussing how the UofMich can attract top talent and is a strong (very strong) state college, academically as well. Rose, in that context, was making a point that it wasn't about who could attract top talent (obviously, Michigan could, Georgetown, etc). It was how Duke wouldn't recruit certain talent based purely on HS and background--I assume no interview, letters or anything...just ignored entirely from the get go. He said something like "yeah, it's not just Duke. In my recruiting region of the Midwest, Notre Dame and Indiana recruited similar to Duke." And he was talking strictly about basketball.

You can still listen for yourself.

19. Shaud

Shaud Member

Question to Jalen Rose

question: "Those were your comments as an 18 year old but you were speaking today about how you felt as an 18 year old kid, do you guys still feel that way about Duke?"

Answer from Rose: "Well certain schools recruit a typical kind a player whether the world admits it or not and Duke is one of those schools. They recruit black players from polished families, accomplished families and that's fine..that's ok. But when you are an inner city kid playing in a public school league you know that certain schools aren't going to recruit you, that's one (referring to Duke)of them. I'm ok with it and that is how I felt as an 18 year old kid"

20. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

The only “mis-education” I see is what you’re spouting off about Jalen’s thoughts on college.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=neumann/110311_fab_five_documentary&sportCat=ncb

I don’t think a Dean’s List student thought down upon having to go to college. He didn’t, and apparently still doesn’t like Duke because he thinks their recruiting standards are unfair. I don’t get why that makes him a bad person. Some people think it’s Duke’s right, and others consider it discrimination. I can understand how a guy who felt like he was being punished for being dealt a bad hand would resent it.