1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Kyle Lowry becoming a star?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Treeza, Mar 8, 2011.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I sure hope so. I didn't like Lowry before; but now that he has a semi-reliable jumpshot. I'm liking the new Lowry.

2. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Aren't you the same guy who claimed 2 years ago that Brooks was at Steve Nash's level?

1 person likes this.
  3. thejav

thejav Member

The only thing I've seen that I would like him to work on..are the last second plays he makes..either it be in the 1st quarter of the final seconds of the game..he takes it by himself a little to many times..he needs to try harder to find the open man..other than that he's our pg for years to come..

4. marky :)

marky :) Member

^ This. There have been plenty of times where he would dribble till the last possible second and pass off the shot. Also, I would like to see Bud take a last second shot to see what hes capable of. Maybe not to win a game yet, but at least at the end of the 1st half or a quarter. I just want to see what he does.

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Brooks’ season before he was a backup so he didn’t really play enough for us to know how he would be as a starter. He certainly didn’t look like he was going to drop 20/5 the next year.

Lowry has improved since last season, continues to improve and is young. All indicators point to him being at least this good for the next couple of years. I felt the same about Brooks last season…that he was a legit player on the rise but his play this entire season says otherwise. I believe the present (I mean this season and not five or six games) is a better indicator of who a player will be going forward than the past is.

Since I never answered the OP, I will now. Lowry isn’t becoming a star but I think he is on his way to being a better than average PG and one who is certainly capable of starting on a Championship team. He isn’t going to reach Rose or CP3 level (he just doesn’t have those gifts) but he can certainly hold his own against any of them on any given night.

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Hilarious, if true. Ironic bc Adelman compared Lowry to Nash earlier this season :cool:

7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=4538220&postcount=642

So 2 years later, not only is Brooks far inferior to Nash, he's backing him up from the bench. And Brooks' replacement, Kyle Lowry, has played well enough to be compared to Nash.

1 person likes this.
  8. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

Well, you kind of have to expect the hater accusations when you make sarcastic comments about Kyle being the next Magic Johnson. And every time someone praises Kyle, it doesn’t come at the expense of someone else, like you say. I admit, the threads along the lines of “HAHA! AB SUCKZ KYLE RULZ!!! I WAS RIGHT, YOU WERE WRONG!!!” are dumb and annoying. Most of them look at the +/- from bench vs. starters the past two seasons and conclude Kyle > AB, when it’s really not that black and white. We’ve had players shuffled around and AB was also coming off of an injury this season. So while I will admit, while I’ve always thought Kyle was the better FIT as our starter, I wasn’t sure he was the clear cut better PLAYER. But he’s really surprised me with his recent play and IF he keeps it up, there’s a good chance I’ll change my mind. I think that’s all people are commenting on here, that he’s had some stellar play recently. I don’t see much overreaction, except from maybe one or two people, so it’s not fair to Kyle to sarcastically compare him to Magic Johnson because of them.

As far as the thread about feeling sorry for Kyle after the Suns game, I don't see what's wrong with that either. If you can't see that Kyle played his heart out, more so than anyone else on the team then maybe you really are blinded by hate. Didn't it tell you something when all the Phoenix players came and paid their respects to him afterward? I felt the same sense of “sorriness” that game where Martin dropped 45 on the Blazers, he sat down for a second, and then the team choked away the game. Yes, you win and lose as a team, but sometimes it's okay to say, 'Damn, I wish everyone else had shown up the way he had.'

1 person likes this.
  9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Tsk tsk. You have some explaining to do, Mr. Larsv.

I think comparing Lowry to Rondo or even Paul is a lot more accurate than Brooks to a 2 time MVP. Nash is still running circles around opposing point guards.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Some folks are still butt-hurt about Brooks being traded.

Especially those who spent a lot of time denigrating the basketball knowledge of anyone who didn't believe AB was more integral to the success of the team than Kyle.

It must hurt to be so publically wrong.

3 people like this.
  11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's a layup ....

Better defense , better rebounding , better at actually running the offense , higher assist numbers and fewer turnovers per minute played. (0.0602 - 0.0677).

Lowry is shooting 10% better from beyond the arc for the season than Brooks , believe it or not.

The only place AB0 has an advantage in the numbers is FT%.

12. M.ANGEL4

M.ANGEL4 Member

hahahaha, wow that is hilarious!

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

14. Possum

Possum Member

And the backup we got for Brooks made Brooks look like a little beyatch in their first meeting. :grin:

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Nah. Nicely played, now.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Hmm, for starters, I am flattered I have people who remember things I posted 2years ago. Trully, that is...well actually...its kinda creepy.

So, lets see the allegation. "Arent you the guy who said Brooks was better than Nash". On paper, seems like a silly statement two years later. Lets think back to what was going on at the time. This was the offseason after the Lakers series. Phoenix hadnt made the playoff because pairing Nash with a half court big man was a disaster and his stats were on a steady decline. Brooks just had a breakout series and was on his way to another with his MIP year. So it would appear my line of thinking was Nash is declining, Brooks is getting better, is this a good trade? So surprise surprise look what else I posted:

Hmm, well, that seems like the exact opposite....gee...sounds like someone likes to make things up and try and use context to thier advantage because they have nothing else to stand on.

Oh and whats this? Another quote of mine from the same thread:

Well, gosh golly, it appears I was on board with trading either PG for Nash. Wait wait, I thought I hated Lowry! So in actuality I was on board with trading Brooks for Nash, I just wanted more in return.

And actually I am glad I re-read the thread, otherwise I would of missed this gem:

Kidd of course went on to average 8 points on 30% shooting in the next round of playoffs while being crushed by a weak Spurs team.

Meanwhile Bynum completely locked down Howard on the way to one title and then helped exploit the Celtics lack of size in the next year for another title.

17. choujie

choujie Member

LOL. Thanks for digging that up. I reviewed that post, and found this:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=4532381&postcount=211

AB groupies usually don't have a clue when it comes to what is more important for winnning a game.

18. jaybiddyforeal

I couldnt stand you last year when you were hating on lowry after every missed shot or turnover. Now, I just want to take a sledgehammer to your keyboard.

You had a man crush on the lesser of two players. Admit you were wrong, laugh about it, and be happy the Rox have finally dont have a question ? at the PG position. Stop trying to defend yourself, it only makes you look more stupid

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

JESUS CHRIST, I LIKE BOTH PLAYERS. Why is this so hard to understand? This is exactly what I am talking about. In order to like Brooks, I apparently have to hate Lowry.

There is this gross misconception about what my personal beliefs are.

If my posting bothers you, then put me on ignore. Lord knows I have like 30 people on mine.

#159 larsv8, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  20. choujie

choujie Member

We all know that, and we all know you like the worse player more.