1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you believe in Creation or Evolution?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by 3814, Mar 1, 2011.

Tags:
?

Do you believe in Creation or Evolution?

Poll closed Mar 31, 2011.
  1. Creation

37 vote(s)
    28.5%
  2. Evolution

93 vote(s)
    71.5%
  1. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I think that people believe in creationism because they are afraid God will hear their thoughts on how logical evolution is and send them to hell (as it has been taught by parents, church, and religious schooling). So they believe out of fear of being rejected into heaven and put into eternal misery in hell.

It's simple, believing in evolution buys you nothing. But believing in creationism gets you a ticket to salvation IF PER CHANCE the heaven/hell thing is true. So why not invest your belief into something that might pay off later?

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I believe in the inevitability of infinite possibilities. Especially given propensity of carbon based chemistry to produce amino acids. A hundred trillion planets bubbling away for maybe 10 billion years, so far. All sorts of things are probably happening, of which we are 1.

Because it conflicts with what you understand to be true? Because you are who you are and you think what you think and you can't convince yourself otherwise.

#42 Dubious, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  3. Pushkin

Pushkin Member

Are you saying it is impossible to believe in God and accept evolution as fact?

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed!

Rocket River

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

It was a space issue and they got left behind.
    [​IMG]

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I look to God for my spiritual well being, and to Science for matters of science, how the earth began, etc.

8. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

I wish more religious people were like you.

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Science rules. Bible stories don't explain gravity or chemical equations; nor do they explain how species mutate.

Of course sensible religions including serious Christian sects support evolution.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I believe in and support evolution. I do not believe in creationism.
    I do not disapprove other's belief in a creatOR. I disapprove of the "Guy In The Sky" who controls events and actions.

I seek spirituality to keep me away from the douchedom of evolutionist atheists. (Yes, I do not like people like myself). It takes one to know one, and sorry kinfolk, we won't cause holy wars and use religion to justify doing bad things, but that doesnt mean we're any more or less a pleasure to be around.
    :)

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I'm having trouble with this thread.

Creation, for purposes of this discussion, is centered around the biblical account of God's creation of man and the universe, is it not?

Evolution and creation are incompatible in this way.

Creation posits that man came into existence in his present state from nothing, and the rest of the galaxy formed by his divine inspiration, perfectly crafted as is, right out of the box.

Evolution shows that man came to be from genetic mutation and adaptation from a main/common ancestor or class, and that the stars, planets, and galaxies formed through a particular explainable scientific process and is still going on to this day.

If you want to tweak your definition of "creation" to be "God made everything and then set the wheels in motion for evolution purposefully" then you're rewriting creationism to fit your own personal needs, no?

12. Classic

Classic Member

I believe in creationism but not necessarily the young earth theory.

Anybody ever catch the series on History called Ancient Aliens?

I've come to the conclusion that our world has been destroyed by world wide catastrophes several times over and man has survived each time though becoming more and more ignorant with amnesia as we've gone along. The show kind of highlights the engineering feats of our ancestors and old world lore about Gods/Angels/ETs giving mankind knowledge and advanced technology. A lot of literature from different sources and cultures tells the same stories but from their own perspective of events they don't quite understand.

Also have read that there have been changes in our atmospheric levels of carbon over time and that things we use to date may be inaccurately skewed as there is evidence that that earths atmosphere may have contained much less carbon than it does now.

I think anybody who would definitively state anything about our origins is just as crazy as the pro-evolutionist views the pro-creationist and vice-versa. I believe the truth is somewhere in between but that mankind definitely has a Creator. Guess we'll find out for sure when we die.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This question doesn't even make sense from a scientific perspective.

Not to sound demeaning, but do you know how unintelligent you would have to be to not "believe" in evolution, a collection of facts and data. It's like disagreeing with the theory of gravity...

Until proven otherwise, Creationism is as reputable as fairies, Zues and the millions of other religions.

"The religion of one age is the entertainment of the next"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Evolution is more comprehensible to me, and there is a lot of evidence for it. I believe in the evolution of life.

I've tried to follow the creationist arguments, but they always just completely lose me or seem obviously wrong.

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

You can create a purpose for belief in creationism. (Root word "create").

That does not mean you CAN'T create a purpose for evolution(ism).

16. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

God & Evolution

17. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Both. I believe that God created the earth and that we evolved from monkeys

18. Rumblemintz

Rumblemintz Member

Do you concede that Evolution had a starting point? Big Bang perhaps? Something, some force had to start it, right? Evolution from a creation continuously evolving but guided by a force that threads through everything.

That's how I look at it and justify it. There's too much coincedence that's explained by 0's and 1's that drive home my conviction. I don't need a 2000 yr old book tailored by the Romans to tell me what I already know. For some reason it's always been in me. It's something I don't even question.

Of course I respect anyone's right to believe whatever they choose. It's your God given right - Free Will.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

blah blah blah GOD blah SCIENCE blah Darwin blah blah JESUS blah TRUTH blah win.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

I believe in Darwin's theory of evolution. But I don't think it's that mutually exclusive with creation stories.

Also, does creation goes beyond just the Old Testament version? Honestly, if I were to truly believe in a creation myth, I'd be much more inclined to believe in Pagan stories like Greek/Roman/Norse mythologies. Because (A) one God would be infinitely boring and (B)God/gods should act in self interest with their own personalities rather than just be a bored judge of masses of small puny humans.