1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marqus Blakely will be in a Rockets uniform

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't know when, I don't know for how long, but it's gonna happen. Blakely is the chubby and Morey is the chaser. It's destiny.

He could be the next Chuck Hayes (i.e. a significant part of the rotation) or the next Mike Harris (i.e. great minor league guy who has a hard time getting off the bench), he might even be the next Charles Gaines (if you remember him, he was on the Rockets summer league team last year, then went to play in China) but he just seems to be their type.

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Never heard of him. Just read his scouting report and he sounds like the kind of guy we'd put on the Summer league team that helps us go 5-0. Mike Harris 2.0.

3. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

I agree. If he can develop just a set 3-ptshot, he would be a really useful player (Bruce Bowen type). It's rare you get someone with athleticism, wingspan, ability to guard 3/4 and maybe some 2, who can also rebound, pass, and block shots at a high level. Shooting a set shot is not easy to learn in the NBA, but not the hardest.

If we can pick him up late 2nd round, and send him to David Thorpe for free throw and set 3-pt shooting drills, Marqus may turn out to be a fairly decent pick in a couple of years.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I was thinking the same thing. He has already had 2 workouts for Houston, but he also has 2 workouts coming up for Boston. He seems to be very popular with 10+ workouts already.

5. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Hey anything is possible, Morey and I do both have the hots for the huskies! ;)

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/itQRvRsK7Eo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/itQRvRsK7Eo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-hlH1cn7uaY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-hlH1cn7uaY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

He truly is an elite specimen. Fast, strong, powerful, explosive, with a 7-1 wingspan...

Can he develop a handle? Can he develop a jumper?

Does he even need do?

#6 RudyTBag, Jun 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Hmmm. Interesting player.

1. Aggression in boatloads. Gets to the line at a great clip. Could be even more efficient if he could shoot free throws.

2. They didn't play anybody. Those stats were piled up against very weak teams.

All the same, very interesting prospect.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Bruce Bowen? More like Jared Jeffries. Bruce Bowen was strictly a 2/3 defender, this guy looks like he can cover 4 positions. IMHO having a 3 pt shot won't make him a fairly decent pick, having a 3 pt shot will make him a lottery pick, however with rangy defender types like him 3pt shot is always the hardest to develop. I think he'll turn out somewhere between Shawn Marion and Jeffries, in other words, a steal for the 2nd round.

Props to CH for discovering this guy. He really does look like a Rocket.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Jeffries?

I was thinking more like Jerry Stackhouse without the jump shot......yet.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Since when did Stackhouse guard people like that? Does stackhouse even have a 7'3 reach?

11. ansfjs73

ansfjs73 Member

for a second there i thought it was marqus banks.

12. Sham

Sham Member

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Please feel free to post a lot more often. We could use your insight to help our anxiety from being the best lottery team in the world.

14. Prince

Prince Member

can he shoot the ball without dunking?

15. eman

eman Contributing Member

My prayer is for him-- and even more so for Chuck Hayes-- to develop a 3-pt shot. Can you imagine what kind of monster Chuck would be at the 4 if he could shoot with range?

16. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Carl..either you are a genius and you can predict the future or Daryl Morey read this thread and took your advice..anyways, nice job

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This guy might be a better prospect than most of the players in this draft.

I am excited for him. The dude plays DEFENSE like a monster...

18. thaidizzle

thaidizzle Member

he's only a dunker, and not a jump shooter?

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

His story is going to read like Chuck Hayes's. They should hold on to him.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Summer league highlights...
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z2op3GKQRIU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    3 point shot??!!:eek: If he gets that down....ooooh!