1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the NBA Playoff format change

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dnjndmrc5, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Dnjndmrc5

Dnjndmrc5 Member

There is a possibility that a 50 win team may not make the playoffs this year due to the competition that is the West. I started thinking that maybe its time for a change in the NBA playoffs. I love the playoffs and its unfortunate that some of the leagues best teams record wise wont be in it.

For example who as an NBA fan wants to see New Jersey, Washington and Philadelphia in the playoffs when its clear they wont make it to the finals.

I know the MLS does something like this. In order for there to be balance they take the teams with the most points and seed them in the opposite conference who wouldnt make it in their original conference.

Take a look at this scenerio if the playoffs started today.

West Playoffs

(1) San Antonio
    (8) Golden State

(4) Utah
    (5) Houston

(3) New Orleans
    (6) Phoenix

(2) Los Angeles
    (7) Dallas

Now in the East

(1) Boston
    (8) Washington

(3) Orlando
    (6) Denver

(4) Cleveland
    (5) Toronto

(2) Detroit
    (7) Portland

The only matchup that loses interest is Boston and Washington. I think it would work well. gives the good teams a chance to play and compete in the playoffs and those who are not don't to go. The only reason sacramento (27-32) doesnt play boston is because washington is a much better team at (29-30)

2. mtran

mtran Member

no. there are divisions and conferences for a reason. as close as it is in the west and as wide open as it is in the east, 16 teams just wont work under this system. the east/west disparity will be a concern.

3. WNBA

WNBA Member

the east/west disparity is caused by the playoff format.

It is like the disparity between USA basketball and international basketball.

when they were separated , USA basketball>>>> international basketball.
    when they began to compete with each other recently, the gap is shrinking quickly.

we need a playoff format that can mix up east and west. period.

4. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

that would suck

5. tulexan

tulexan Member

I don't think it should be a radical change like getting rid of conferences, but I think that being a division winner should not guarantee you a top 4 spot. I have no problem with a division winner getting a playoff seed, but that should be it.

6. mtran

mtran Member

i think the first round should go back to 5gms for more upsets.

7. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

this thread has been done 100 times before.

8. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Its very true that we don't see many upsets because of the 7 game format. I like the 5 game thing. Makes things much more interesting and intense. Would also cut down on one team resting too long between series. I don't like watching one team sit after winning a series 4-0 while waiting for the winner of 7 game. 5 games for the second round too.

9. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

More games = more money for NBA

7 game series here to stay

10. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

It should just be top 8 teams per conference. Mixing up the conferences won't work too well I believe.

Divisions should only be used for scheduling purposes (which is why they were created in the first place) and not to determine who makes the playoffs or not.

Who the heck cares if Utah wins their division (just for example), they don't have a good enough record to be 4th seed. I just want the top 8 teams to make it.

11. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

How about this; if there are playoff teams in either conference with sub .500 records, and winning teams outside of the top eight in the other, give the winning team(s) one shot to get into the playoffs in the opposite conference by playing the team eligible for the postseason in their arena.

I'm not sure if that was explained clearly but here's an example... Let's say Denver finishes in ninth place out west with a record of 50-32, but New Jersey stumbles into the eighth seed in the east with a measely 32-50 record. Have the Nuggets play the Nets in NJ for one shot to take their place in the eastern bracket. If they win, they're in, but no homecourt even if they had a better record than the other teams to compensate for being an outsider.

It might be difficult to schedule, but a do-or-die one game wildcard-like playoff could generate lots of money and interest. It also gives the weaker team a chance to keep their spot instead of just giving it away.

12. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Same... I think making it shorter will allow teams to show even more energy in the later rounds