1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

JVG: Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Nov 17, 2006.

Tags:
  1. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

even though I said all the bad things earlier about JVG, but I really admire his courage to go out and say "Yao is getting fouled all over the place and he's not getting any calls".. saying that and getting fined kinda change my stance on him... the guy is not stupid, he's just stubborn... he needs to consider looking deep into his bench and giving guys some minutes just to get a big idea of where they are and if they are worth keeping or not.. now I am not saying that he should play VSpan in the last play of the game when the game is tied, that's not smart because he will probably mess up, but in the case of Gordon going D-wade on us, I think he should've played Vspan to slow him down especially that Gordon was the only one playing well.. I am pretty sure a couple of steals and a couple of hard fouls on GOrdon by SPan would've probably slowed him down and screwed up his rythm..

2. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

lol.. I know what you're talking about.. :D

3. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

He's an average coach who can win only with good to great players, thus the run we had 2 years ago w/ guys like Sura, Wesley, Barry playing great alongside the big 2......I'm sure 25 out of the 30 coaches in this league could have taken us to 52 wins and 1st round that year anyways w/ that group.........he's not one to motivate a team and doensnt always get the best out of avg. players (swift, griffin). He's a coach who's in love w/ veterans and doenst trust youngsters.....its usually his way or the highway (Wells).......imo, he holds us back more than he helps us....

Also, as far as Yao's progress, there is a big facet that has still not been developed at all .....his passing....there's no way Yao should be averaging 1.5 assists a game, it makes me sick to see him have 1 assist, 3 TO nights.....Hakeem was quite a ballhog and he still averaged alomst 3.6 assists a night in his career!

Both posts summed up what I feel perfectly. He was a good coach when we had young undisciplined players that needed to be reeled in a bit. Now JVG's coaching is a negative because he can't think outside of the box. We do well in the game until the other coach makes an adjustment then JVG can't make a counter adjustment. His coaching philosophy has one gear and he doesn't trust his players so he only plays a short rotation which wears his starters down even further.

His private war with Bonzi is another example of his inability to manage his players. Phil Jackson never let Rodman's antics effect the Bulls in a negative way. The Rockets will not take the next step until JVG is gone and our window is closing fast.

4. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

What you are failing to realize is that the emergence of Yao is a direct result of JVG.

On a side, was this thread really necessary? I mean are we going to start one of these types of threads every week again? This kind of stuff is just killing the GARM IMHO

5. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

JVG is not going anywhere. He's got the confidence of the organization and is doing an excellent job.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Let me know what your criteria for acceptable threads are. After every Rockets loss or near loss, the board is flooded with "JVG sucks" posts. I just wanted to guage how unpopular he really was around here. From these results, it looks like it is about 50/50.

7. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Rather amazing that this thread even has to be discussed. Some say it's all about the results. Some say it's too early in the season. Some say JVG doesnt know what he's doing. Some say he has no clue.

How about this, JVG since he has taken over the helm for the Rox, we have consistently been one of the top 5 lowest scoring defenses in the NBA. That is important because if your defense displays consistency in spite of your offense, it betters your opportunity for victory.

This season is still very early, but no I am far from happy much less satisfied with the Rox on court performance. That being said, it's easier when you are 6-3 and you havent even come close to playing your best ball compared to 3-6 or 2-7.

The people who keep saying fire JVG hate good defensive basketball. Would you rather play exciting basketball and bounce out in the first round or would you want a team that is going to get only better defensively as the season progresses and potentially challenge the San Antonios or Phoenixs for a chance to get back to the NBA finals for the first time in over a decade?

Let's remember Novak is a rookie and with JVG having Padgett, it affords JVG the ability to work Novak in slowiy to the rotation and try to avoid the proverbial rookie wall. Novak will be in the lineup soon. Bonzie meanwhile had better get his head out of his ASS if he wants to rake in the jack in the offseason.

In all honesty, if I had someone I would like to see as a head coach, for the near future, I would like to see Mario Elie. I think he would be an intriguing pick and with our talent already assembled combined with Elie's "bulldog" mentality on the court, could REALLY propel this team to stratospheric heights.

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

That is the biggest crock of **** I"ve heard yet. Yao is one of the most determined players to improve in the NBA and he has gone out on his own to find the people to help him. Stupid Jeffy isn,t on that list and hasn;t been much more than a detriment to his improvement. He does not understand how to coach a big man. And is only recently finally doing the obvious and going to him. Yao is the first to acknowledge those who have impacted and helped his career and rarely has a bad word for anyone and could only come up for Van Gundy is he is always riding him. Where as for Rudy he said he has been one of the most instrumental people in his career.

So please dont try to pass that bs about JVG helping Yao become the player he is as fact. At best it is an exxageration of the truth and at worst it is a boldface lie.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Van Gundy has always been preaching that Yao needs to get more touches. He said it all the time when Francis/Mobley were here. And while McGrady's been here, he's continued to say thta when you have a 7'5 center in the paint shooting 55%, you get him the ball.

But it's easier said than done to get Yao the ball. He needs to hold his position, and be able ot hold onto the ball when he receives it. You can't just give him the ball 12 feet from the basket and expect him to do something positive with it.

10. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

i have proble4ms with jeff, but i vote t o keep him: because we have noone better.

11. neverfated

neverfated Contributing Member

Yes. Yao went out on his own to get Patrick Ewing. Jeff Van Gundy had nothing to do with that. :rolleyes:

Van Gundy only recently realized going to Yao was the way to win? Do you not remember Van Gundy stating that Yao was the REASON he chose Houston? To think that Patrick Ewing and the other Gundy coaches had nothing to do with his development is just plain r****ded. Yao was a finesse player when Van Gundy joined the Rockets and to a large degree he still is. But now Yao has the best of both worlds, power and finesse. How can you say JVG had nothing to do with that? If Yao was coached based on the consensus on the message boards, the Rockets would still be relying solely on McGrady for wins. Do you not remember just two seasons ago how people were saying that JVG forcing Yao to bulk up and be a force in the middle would wreck his career? People on this message board kept saying that JVG robbed Yao of his shooting touch by making him bulk up. Well, as it turns out, JVG was right but go ahead and deny that fact. Please keep living in your dream world. The Yao on the team right now is a direct result of JVG's plan for him. Of course Yao is a hard worker, but without a plan, all that hard work would be nothing. Reading posts like this makes me wish JVG was still a coach for the Knicks, where we actually appreciate hard-ass coaches (just not insane ones).

12. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

If JVG couldnt take this team to WCF this season, he should be fired.

13. SonKhan

SonKhan Member

I would have to say undecided as well.

There are things I like about him. There are things I don't.

Leaning towards the Rockets making a change at head coach after this season (or before) , but I think the guy needs a chance after the injury "snafu" of last season.

His "be great"..."commit"...non credit giving approach is getting a little old. Like last week when Yao had a monster game the reportr asked him about Yao's performance and Van Gundy pointed to the mistakes instead of giving the big man credit for a solid performance.

Getting old...but let's see.

14. MandM's

MandM's Member

I don't believe JVG forced Yao to "bulk up"...in fact all that I read stated that JVG was a supporter of Yao staying slim and trim.

In fact, it is a known fact that Yao is lighter (weight wise) than he has been the past few years. He is 300 pounds...5 pounds lighter than his playing weight last season...10 pounds lighter than 2004-05.

Reported by Bill Worrell

15. MandM's

MandM's Member

And Pat Ewing never helped Yao. He just was a hang out buddy and gave him a bunch of crap about how good he used to be.

As far as JVG...I'll go with giving him a shot this season and then making a decision based on how the chips fall

16. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

I would love to change my stance on him right about now.

17. edc

edc Contributing Member

Excellent? Average job is more accurate.

Mister Van Gundy does not have the confidence of the organization or the fans. If he did, he wouldn't be in a "prove it or lose it" contract season.

The odds remain better than not that he is not with the Rockets come October 2007.

18. anson

anson Member

based on his record 6-4 now, a definite Nay....he got many talented players yet he just ignored them...he just sucks...

19. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

C- coach interms of stradegy and use of personals... only way rockets are winning is because Yao Ming is on fire earlier on and Tmac is healthy although he isn't shooting too well... Now that teams are zeroing on yao and tmac still plays like that we are seeing some late problems and JVG can't even fix anything after a week of 4th quarter meltdown!

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

Wonder what this poll will look like in the morning? Likely a surge of Nays.