1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

JVG: Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Nov 17, 2006.

Tags:
  1. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

I think u got me wrong, I said "he went on to explain his irrational opinion" which means: he didn't make any sign that he was being sarcastic.. and IF he was sarcastic, they would've included something like [laughs] after the quote..

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

JVG laughing is like a lunar eclipse. Anyone have that scary video of him laughing?

3. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Umm. It's doubtful JVG has much of anything to do with Yao's emergence. Credit should go to Yao Ming, not JVG.

Yao would likely be even better under a different coach. JVG is holding both Yao and T-Mac back from what they could achieve.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Didn't vote. Should have had a column for undecided.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yeah. I wish there was a way to edit the poll.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Never heard of deadpan sarcasm?

But even if it wasn't sarcasm, who cares? I hate it when people nitpick media quotes. It's such a waste of time. We don't know what he was thinking when he said it. Van Gundy pays very close attention to the details. When you look at the game at such a low level, each game may look different.

7. uchlha

uchlha Member

nay, JVG is a good Defensive coach, however his lack of offense just purely overshadows his defensive schemes. Either hire an offensive assistant coach or just outright hire an offensive Coach and keep the defensive assistant coaches.

defense wins championships but it makes the crowd fall asleep

offense gives everyone energy and will cause the crowd to be in the game which will then energize the players even further.

8. ruhroh

ruhroh Member

i think he gets the job done, there might be better coaches, but a lot of ppl on the team fit into jvg's system so y get another coach and mess up this building chemistry we have?

9. rumcoke

rumcoke Member

i dont really care about being excited all the time as long as we win consistently. i dont want to root for a highly energized losing team. besides, watching tmac play is exciting enough for me.

10. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

He's an average coach who can win only with good to great players, thus the run we had 2 years ago w/ guys like Sura, Wesley, Barry playing great alongside the big 2......I'm sure 25 out of the 30 coaches in this league could have taken us to 52 wins and 1st round that year anyways w/ that group.........he's not one to motivate a team and doensnt always get the best out of avg. players (swift, griffin). He's a coach who's in love w/ veterans and doenst trust youngsters.....its usually his way or the highway (Wells).......imo, he holds us back more than he helps us....

Also, as far as Yao's progress, there is a big facet that has still not been developed <b>at all </b>.....his passing....there's no way Yao should be averaging 1.5 assists a game, it makes me sick to see him have 1 assist, 3 TO nights.....Hakeem was quite a ballhog and he still averaged alomst 3.6 assists a night in his career!

11. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I guess the question (to the poll's 1st option) is how far is "far"? What's far for one guy is probably not far enough for another.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

I voted NAY. I was in favor of him coming here, mainly because the Francis team was sooooo undisciplined and out of control. There seemed to be little structure or system. Basically, five plays, Francis one on one, Francis one on two, Francis one on three, Francis one on four, and Francis one on five. On occasion, Mobley broke into this sequence. At 7 foot six inches, they could not find Ming.

Now, I believe that the team has gone the other extreme, too much structure, too much system. Plus, JVG's dispositon is just too negative, and I am very tired of it. I want positive motivation for the players. In my opinion his lack of flexiblity and creativity is hurting the team. But at 6-3 things are good and he is going nowhere. But you asked.

13. akuma

akuma Member

i won't say that he is bad for the Rockets unless bad means not winning it all this season or the next 3 (the last of the T-Mac years). if it doesn't happen by then, it may very well never happen. someone with a more gifted offensive scheme and motivational ability might even be able to lead the team to a dynasty or at least multiple titles. but if the Rockets go far this year, it will not be because of him. he's not supposed to be the enemy, and yet i feel the players have to work harder than they need to because of him. not the most efficient use of resources, and he's not exactly the best at having his team focus on he task at hand, especially with his overreactions with every little mistake. mental strength begins with the coach, and he has none. it shouldn't have to be like this.

14. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

LOL.

Well, Detroit in 2002 mercilessly sacked Rick Carlisle after he had led the Pistons to consecutive 50-win seasons and playoff appearances and just won the COY that year. The hiring of Larry Brown proved to be a stroke of genius by Joe Dumars. Not sure if Morey the stats GM can pull a similar coup, though.

15. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I thought about the poll. JVG is a very stubborn coach, I wish he'd be less negative.

I voted Nay because I honestly don't think he has what it takes to lead this team to a championship. I think he's too negative even after a win, at times. He's a terrific coach I'm sure, but I don't think he can motivate his players and instill that drive in them to win. na'mean?

For me "far" means a ring. Anything short of that is failure. I don't think JVG will take us to a ring, but I'm not solely blaming him.. I just don't think (even with 2 superstars) this team is in any shape for a championship run. Maybe 2nd round.

But hey, look at the bright side.. We won't be the only team that isn't getting a trophy. There will always be 29 other teams that won't be getting it either.

16. entirelydave

entirelydave Member

he's passionate and all he wants is to win. i'm with him. YAY!

17. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Yay. JVG is an excellent coach.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i don't really see an alternate that's available that has had any more success in this league then van gundy. i like him. i like that he holds players accountable, that he prepares the team better then anyone, and that the players overwhelmingly seem to support him.

people spend too much time picking apart individual plays and games to look at the big picture. we could have any coach in the league and the same exact **** would happen eventually. no coach is infallible and certainly i've had issues with a few in game things this season. i mean i yelled at rudy through the television when we were winning freaking championships. that doesn't mean i felt like he needed replacing.

if you're to the point we're you're thinking, bah he doesn't play novak, fire him! or he looked angrily at yao ming, fire him! you need to take a step back.

19. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Too few choices! We need a strong Offensive Coach who's voice is respected by Van Gundy, If we had this Coach on our staff JVG would be quite satisfactory, as this coach would possibly offset JVG's deficiencies in mentality .

20. ikfit

ikfit Member

I vote for Yes but He is too smart.

First year he is in Houston, make team to playoff ok good.
    But he also use too many old old knicks, is he try to pay back for them?

Second season, we have tmac, sura, jb, dw. we are great, I saw the hope.

third season, we all know. disappoint.

Now, his last season for his contract. He finally he focuse on D and same time he let team play fast break when they have chance and also don't force to pass to yao, when guards have the chance they can shoot.
    But I still don't like him for not use Novak, V-span, at least give them some time to try then we have more options to attack and D. More otions more good, more chance to win.