1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good Sushi places

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Fatty FatBastard, Jun 27, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Fatty FatBastard

I'm trying to figure out some good sushi places. I'm in Midtown/Montrose, so that's where I'm primarily looking right now, but if you know of a good place elsewhere, put it down. I'm all over this city.

I'm also wondering if anyone knows of any places that have weekly specials. I'm having no luck in that regard.

As of now, I'm thinking of either The Fish, or Coco's. The Fish has good sushi, but they can be a tad pricey. Coco's just opened in Montrose, but their old Chimney Rock location had good stuff there.

And this is for a date. I know all about Yan sushi, and their great prices. But their restaurant isn't good for a date.

Any suggestions?

2. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Rikshaw(sp?) next to Chuys was AWFUL!!! Stay away.

Sorry, I don't know of any good ones in that area.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

My favorites are Sage 400 (in the Galleria at Sage & West Alabama) and Kubo's in Rice Village. I also like Azuma on Kirby in the Village but I was disappointed last time I went there (4 months ago) and I haven't been back.

Sage 400 has a great bar scene as well.

4. Fatty FatBastard

I've only been to Rikshaw once. Not memorable enough for me to go back there.

My favorite place is Nara, but that's way too far away.

I'm hoping someone has been to Coco's. I'm always up for trying new places. Unfortunately, I read a review that Tuesdays can be very rainbowy there, and I'm not sure if that would make for a good date.

5. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Zake Lounge on Shepard is a cool place to eat during happy hour. It's pretty trendy and the view is pretty nice too ;). Service is a bit slow though :(

6. Fatty FatBastard

Sage 400, huh? I haven't even heard of them. Might have to try that place instead of Uptown Sushi when we're in that area.

Also, I've heard the Ra has a great bar scene also, but the sushi there is sub-par. Main reason I haven't been there yet.

7. Fatty FatBastard

Where on Shepherd is it?

8. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I want to say W. Alabama? Right across from Crome the night club. Where that big bookstore is and record store. Everytime I go have problems keeping my eyes from wandering.

9. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

zake lounge is terrible. FAKE ASS FOOD.

Terrible Sushi.

10. Fatty FatBastard

From the reviews I'm reading on Zake, it seems this is more of a place for happy hour than dinner.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So, you have no problem using a word that is a slur to them, but you're too afraid to go eat sushi next to them? Wuss. :p

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I can't stand sushi, but my friends rave about Uptown Sushi in Uptown Park.

13. Fatty FatBastard

:p :p

As I said, I live in Montrose now. I have no problem going there. I was just hoping someone had already been there.

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Good luck finding some pink tuna in Montross...there's lots of good tube steak, from what I've heard...

15. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Okay we go to sushi a lot so i will give my take on a few places.

Uptown Sushi - Deifnitley the place we go to the most. We enjoy the food, service and atmosphere a lot.

Rikshaw - Don't get the sushi it really does suck but the rest of the food is really really good. (The cooked stuff out of the kitchen, I would recommend the Sea Bass ad Mandarin Beef)

RA (highland village) - The sushi was pretty good. We went when it first opened so service was really really crappy. I hope they had changed it from then. We haven't gone back to eat there. Went a couple times to have drinks becuase it's a pretty nice hang out on the bar side of it. But haven't eaten there.

Azuma - Has really good sushi, the Robata grill stuff is nice as well.

Matasasko (something like that)- The sushi was decent, nothing to rave about but the Hibachi grill is much better than Benihana and the other places.

If i were to recommend a place i would go with uptown sushi first and then azuma second.

16. Fatty FatBastard

I expect better jokes from you. You didn't even try.

Back to the Montrose place, if you frequent Montrose, there are definitely some places that are more hetero-friendly than others. I just don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable.

17. Fatty FatBastard

Matasasko? Do you mean Tokyohana?

18. coma

coma Contributing Member

I have a perfect place for your Fatty.

Blue Fish on Richmond and Kirby right by that Volvo dealership.

Quiet, good lighting, low key, a bit trendy on weekends, but not overly pretentious, and best of all, very good sushi.

eric.81 likes this.
  19. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

I'd probably go:

1) Uptown - Great sushi and consistent. Sometimes parking it a total nightmare though.
    2) Azuma on Kirby- I've had one or two not so good experiences (long waits for the food), but this is where I usually go. If you're not eating the Hot Rock stuff, the smell is a little overwhelming.
    3) Ra - more of a bar that has sushi... it's really hard to enjoy sushi when they're blasting Puddle of Mudd or Blink 182 the whole time. I've only been there at off-peak times, so parking wasn't too bad. I can't imagine trying to go to Highland Village during peak hours though.

20. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Nope i meant... Matsusaka Sushi & Grill