1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Van Gundy just doesn't get it (lack of adjustments)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Absolut_RoxFan, May 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I agree with you on number 1. After 2 or 3 postups, it was obvious to me that Wesley couldn't guard Stack. Sure wish he would have gone to Bowen.

I think TMac did a fine job on Dirk. He didn't guard him too much. McGrady was great at both ends in this series. He and Bowen were the best choices on Dirk.

On number 3, I wished Van Gundy would have demanded that they get the ball to Yao more. But............I also wished he would have demanded that Yao not pick up more than 1 foul in the first half of the games so that Yao could be on the floor to score.

The one other thing that I did not understand was why Van Gundy isn't willing to go to the zone. When Yao is guarding Armstrong, you have to make a defensive adjustment. We should have zoned it up. But, I don't think Van Gundy has zone in his vocabulary. Instead we got to see Armstrong take Yao to the rack. Yuck.

However, I can't question Van Gundy too much on defense. He has proven he knows how to coach it. I just don't see Yao being able to do everything that he is asked to to defensively for 82 games and then throughout the playoffs without breaking down over a couple years.

2. tinypure

tinypure Contributing Member

at least he should try DEKE with 4 shooters.....

obviously refs don't allow rox's layups....

we didn't really try 3s tonight....

we should stop penetrating because refs just want to screw us they won't call any fouls on mavs...

we should try our desperate 3s with DEKE going for the rebounds....

3. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

You can't zone against a team that shoots as well as the Mavericks do. It's hard to make adjustments when you don't get anything at all from ten players on the roster.

If the bench doesn't come out and lay a collective dump in the middle of the AA Center, we have a chance.

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

If we have Juwan availiable, nobody will talk about JVG at this point. What could he do? We dont have a PG. So every time Sura brings the ball up, he is like a chicken without head. We dont have a PF. We were down eariler, and our best scoring option out there is Padgget, who sucks big time one D and deficit worsen. We lost on both ends. There was no cure. It's out of control, really cant put this on JVG.

5. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

What the hell is he supposed to do? Play Moochie? Spoon? The mavs have the talent, we have role-players that played well for us to win 51 games. Howard, Stack, Finley, Terry, and even the pathetic Keith Van Horn would be our 3rd best player. Not many people picked us to push this to 7 games. JVG didn't exactly have many options out there.... Our 3rd best player is out with a heart infection. Hmm, Padgett, or Bowen, decisions, decisions... Gimmie a break.

6. fanwq

fanwq Member

JVG should put Deke in the game with Yao when our shooters can't make the shots.
    No defence in this game at all-which was our team strategy all season, but ended with on defence.

7. wolfsheep

wolfsheep Contributing Member

Yeah. No way to blame JVG. He couldn't do better.

8. tsl99

tsl99 Member

the weakest link of this team si JVG, keep everybody and let him go.

9. Simon Honeybone

Brilliant, look I'm as disappointed as the next guy with last night's "game" but when so many players come out and laud Jeff Van Gundy as the best coach they have ever had I have a tendency to believe them.

10. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

look...Yao is the most talented player in the NBA rite now besides for shaq and maybe TD...Van gundy can barely squeeze 18 pts per game out of him...i really think he needs to utilize yao more

11. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

lemme start naming a few more TALENTED ones

TMAC
    Kobe
    Kevin Garnett
    Allen Iverson
    Lebron James

and thats just off the top of my head,

YOF :rolleyes:

12. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Who was he going to put in.......Moochie?

13. armada

armada Member

JVG did a perfect job but lack of some adjustments. He's so stuck with demanding Yao to defense guards away from the paint, which also annoyed me.
    Nevertheless, IMO, JVG deserves a champion.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I so wanted a zone defense playled to stop the jumping into Yao calls.

Oh well....JVG is stubborn...maybe he is also smarter at basketball than us....

We shall see what team he puts on the floor next year.

DD

15. tksense

tksense Member

I think he meant big men/ or centers... And it's true that Yao's talent should warrant better than 19-20 points this season.
    u can always look at his fga, but also mpg.. so i guess we'll wait one more summer to see the effectively used Yao.

16. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

You're a joke!

JVG is the reason this half-built team did as good as it did.

We lost 3 starters and rebuilt this entire team on the fly with a bunch of scrubs off other people's benches. Rather than blaming JVG, you should bow down to his ability to get us this far.

Next season, after CD fills the open voids at PF and point guard, then we'll be ready for a legit play-off run.

17. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

Hoang17 nailed it!!!!!!!!! I am done posting on the Rockets game 7 loss and nothing more needs to be said. Hoang17 should be an assistant. We have been screaming his thoughts the entire series.....ridiculous coaching decisions. Now, with all this said, hour team no showed on Saturday night and dare I say, CHOKED IN GAMES 3 AND 4 AND ARGUABLY IN GAME 7. No coach can overcome players choking, but put them in a better position than having to come back....

From Hoang17:

Throughout the whole series, the one thing that stands out in my mind is the inability for van gundy to make in game adjustments. We just saw Yao guard a 6-1 PG. I don't care if you want to have the advantage on the other end, you don't ask your 7-6 center to guard the PG. Its just a joke. Other adjustments that i think JVG didn't take into account:

1) Constantly staying Wesley with Stackhouse. Stackhouse is 6-6 and Wesley is 6-1. All Stackhouse does is post-up and does a turn around jump shot with pretty much no pressure. I'm sorry but that's stackhouse's bread and butter. He made his career off of those turn around jump shots.

2) Leaving McGrady to guard Dirk too much. It's okay in my eyes if he left him guarding Dirk on crucial situations, but the whole game drains Mcgrady's stamina and it showed in a couple of 4th quarters. And if you really look at it, Dirk wasn't the impact player of this series. It was Jason Terry.

3) The courage to tell the team to run that Pick and Roll to death. If i was JVG, I would yell in the players faces to run that Pick and Roll to death. It's unstoppable. Every time down the floor they should run that PnR until Dallas makes the adjustments. I just don't understand why we would run it 2-3 plays, get buckets from them, then watch Mike James go 1 on 3.

Lastly, I wanna say that i'm damn PROUD of this team. From day one of this series, we were the under dog. NOBODY said we could win this series and we went out and took the first 2 games. We lost to a more talented team and the time just came where the talent has caught up with us. This team is far from complete and the future is really bright. I'm just sad that I have to watch the next 3 or 4 weeks of basketball without my rockets in it. It was a great season and we learned a lot from our 2 superstars: the best is yet to come!

Go Rockets!