1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Transactions: What’s next?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Oct 21, 2024.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On Jabari, he's 2 years younger than Tari. I think Tari has been the better player when healthy, but I think jabari will be better when we can compare Jabari at an age to Tari at the same age. I'm still hoping Jabari can be the 3 point shooting defender he showed at Auborn.

Also, I think shooting stacks well as a skill. As Jabari plays with more shooters, I think, he'll look better.

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

If you trade Sengun and Green, I think you're going to need another big. I would trade FVV for a big in this instance

Verbal Christ likes this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You dont like Adams in this fantasy scenario?

4. jch1911

jch1911 Member

What's next?

Early in season - 3 team trade (HOU - TOR - MIL)

MIL: Brown (TOR) + Fernando (TOR) + 2 2026 SRPs via HOU

TOR: Brooks (HOU) + Landale (HOU)

HOU: Lopez (MIL)

Houston gets its 2023 off-season target to pair with Sengun.

jamescar likes this.
  5. HealthyHamstring

what happens to Adams?

6. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Still there... 3rd string center

FVV (30) - Shep (18) - Holiday
    Thrilla (30) - McUnder (10) - ???
    Amen (30) - Cam (20) - Tate
    Bari (30) - Tari (22) - Unc Jeff
    Sengawd (30) - Lopez (10) - Adams (10)

#66 jch1911, Oct 22, 2024 at 9:32 PM
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2024 at 9:37 PM
  7. aelliott

aelliott Member

Well, Jason Tatum has been 1st team All NBA three times including last year's championship season.

jch1911 likes this.
  8. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Who is Boston's "transcendent" player? Don't say Tatum because he's not.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Seems like a waste of assets if Adams is healthy / playing well, I'd rather parlay Brooks into future draft assets for a potential star acquisition down the line.

Maybe you upgrade Jabari or Green should one fail to perform.

Also, as much as I like Tate & Uncle Jeff on the roster, Tate is a free agent after this year and Green likely retires. I would consider moving them for draft capital too .... I really don't think Tate resigns here for next year mainly because of the lack of playing time due to this team having so many developmental players who have to get minutes.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tate seems to like it in Houston but he also lacks the drive to prove himself out there, he made a name in Houston and seems too self content.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Considering Tate is an NBA player with his tools, I have a hard time seeing lack of drive. I do think Tate might be late to getting a good deal elsewhere. With the NBA going heavily towards spacing, I think the coach's comfort player (i.e., follows marching orders well) off the bench is no longer as desired unless the player can shoot and defend.

12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Off-loading Brooks seems like the most obvious move but that won't happen until the off-season.

Only thing I see is moving Tate & Holiday along for some random 2nds at the deadline. Otherwise we are good baby! Let's ride.

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

What’s next? Nothing but wait. We have picks, vet contracts in FVV and Brooks, and tons of young talent for a trade if the right star shakes loose. Right now only Booker seems reasonable if Phoenix falters. Getting their picks may have been a Stone chess move in that direction.

If no trades then keep resigning our guys. Honestly if you could keep the core 7 plus Brooks and FVV for the next 5 years I could easily see us winning a chip.

Look at the Celtics. All they needed was Tatum and Brown to have enough time to get there.

Nothing as a fan would be better than to see the whole core 7 stay together, grow together and win it all.

wolstein likes this.
  14. HealthyHamstring

Bill Simmons just floated out a structure on his pod and I think it’s something to keep an eye on.

he said Amen* (no way), Adams and Dillon Brooks for Jimmy Butler. No reason to discuss that as we say no instantly.

but what about Jabari, Adams and Brooks for Butler? Or maybe keep Adams and send some combo of Landale/Tate/Uncle Jeff? It allows you to keep your trade chips for another trade down the line and we extract value out of Jabari before it’s too late.

FVV/Reed
    Jalen/Cam
    Jimmy
    Amen/Tari
    Şengün/Landale

We’d still have Uncle Jeff, and Tate as some depth insurance

#74 HealthyHamstring, Oct 24, 2024 at 4:04 PM
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2024 at 4:11 PM
  15. BMoney

BMoney Member

No on Jimmy Butler.
    No on Kevin Durant.
    The wheel of fortune always makes a player available who would have been unthinkable before.
    Patience is a virtue.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/41979179/rookie-extension-impact-star-injuries-more

What could be next after Jalen Green's unusual extension with Houston?

Windhorst: The three-year, $106 million extension that Green signed on Monday kicked off a lot of discussion around the league as teams and agents studied the deal and each side's motivations. Green getting a third-year player option, an unusual structure for a nine-figure rookie extension, led some executives and agents to believe this deal was designed to be an eventual trade piece for the Rockets. Green was also the only player to get a 10% trade bonus in his rookie deal extension.

Bontemps: And opposing executives saw little downside for Green. In fact, they said this is the type of deal teams would typically sign to lure players away from restricted free agency. Multiple league sources pointed to the three-year, $46 million deal that Chandler Parsons signed 10 years ago with the Dallas Mavericks as a restricted free agent -- which saw him leave the Rockets as a result. Here's what then-Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said of the deal in a radio interview at the time: "The Mavericks are a smart organization. They obviously wanted to get him. That structure of that [contract] is literally one of the most untradable structures that I've ever seen."

Windhorst: Houston, which was linked to Kevin Durant trade interest over the summer, has put out the message it doesn't intend to make a major trade during this season, sources said. But next year, when Green's salary is on the books at $33 million, and with the trove of draft assets the Rockets own -- especially the picks and swaps involving the Phoenix Suns and Brooklyn Nets -- it could be the basis of a superstar trade offer.

For the Rockets' part, once the team saw Donovan Mitchell and Derrick White extend their contracts over the summer and bypass free agency, they moved on from wanting to save cap space for 2025, sources said. Houston focused on getting deals done with Green and Alperen Sengun, who landed a five-year, $185 million deal on Monday. Sengun garnered All-Star buzz as one of the best young bigs in basketball, but Houston faced a challenge when mapping out Green's deal. Last season, Green averaged 18 points, shot 30% on 3-pointers and had a negative plus/minus before the All-Star break but averaged 23 points, shot 37% on 3-pointers and had one of the team's best plus/minus numbers after the break. The contract ended up reflecting both sides of Green's season.

Bontemps: Rival executives praised Houston for getting Sengun to sign for less than the max, even though it wound up being, in part, because the team gave him a fifth-year player option. Sengun, a favorite of analytical models around the league going back to when he was playing in Europe before being drafted in 2021, opened the season with 25 points, 18 rebounds, 5 assists and 4 steals in Houston's season-opening loss to the Charlotte Hornets Wednesday night.

17. Holybats

Holybats Member