1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets, Alperen Şengün agree to 5-year, $185M deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Oct 21, 2024.

?

Do you like the deal?

This poll will close on Apr 21, 2025 at 4:48 PM.
  1. YES

94.2%
  2. NO

5.8%
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't think Alpi cares.

But if there was any doubt who the top dog is, it has been settled. And that was necessary.

Anyway.

ONE team from here on out. No more arguing between fans and "haters" of different players. (I can dream.)

Melik, Y2JT and persian hoopa like this.
  2. invocux

invocux Member

Hmmmm

evo8lover and amaru like this.
  3. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

A no-trade clause in an NBA contract gives a player the power to veto a trade and prevent their team from sending them to another team. No-trade clauses are rare in the NBA, and only a few players have them.

Interesting! If that's true, Alpi really likes to stay Rockets!?

amaru likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I am not sure but lol the "no trade clause" thing might just be from my totally unfounded speculation here.

5. harold bingo

harold bingo Efficiency Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You are literally in a thread where the topic of discussion is "Do you like the deal". And you're telling me not to post about whether or not I like the deal, and why? Give me a break. That's what this website is for.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

https://clutchpoints.com/sources-jo...ngun-jalen-green-contract-extension-decisions

Alperen Sengun, Jalen Green – Houston Rockets
    [​IMG]
    Troy Taormina-Imagn Images
    If it weren't for a freak leg injury to Sengun and the Rockets running out of steam last season, they would've been fighting for a playoff spot in the Western Conference play-in tournament. General manager Rafael Stone and Houston's front office have done an excellent job through the years of building a team in their own image, one that can sustain long-term growth through the draft. That is the main reason behind the mindset of keeping Sengun and Green for the foreseeable future.

Despite hearing his name come up in rumors ahead of the trade deadline last season, particularly when the Rockets expressed interest in Mikal Bridges, Green remained a focal point in Houston. At 22 years old, Green continues to evolve into an offensive weapon that uses his athleticism to his advantage at the shooting guard position. Due to the Rockets having talent in their backcourt, Green has not had to expand his usage and take a step back from being a high-level scorer in order to help facilitate the offense. This is also the case because of Sengun's ability to be a do-it-all center like Nikola Jokic and Domantas Sabonis, who tend to initiate their team's offense from the perimeter.

The Rockets have long believed in Green and his potential to be one of the faces of the franchise, which is why the two sides ultimately came to an agreement on a three-year, $106 million contract extension on Monday before the NBA extensions deadline. More importantly, this deal is a win-win for everyone. While Green gets his new contract with an annual average value of $35.3 million, he also gets the ability to opt out after the second year in order to seek a long-term, max contract from Houston. On the other side of things, the organization gets to keep their rising star while also maintaining a level of flexibility since he will need to prove himself further to get that max-level deal.

Essentially, Green is creating opportunity for himself while also cashing in on his value right now. In addition to signing a three-year, $106 million extension, which will hold an annual average value of $35.3 million, Green will be eligible to extend his contract in October 2026 and agree to at least a four-year, $227 million extension, according to ESPN's Bobby Marks.

There is real belief from the Rockets that Green can be an All-Star-level player in this league and that he can grow even more heading into his second season with Ime Udoka as the head coach of the team.

With the same belief existing for Sengun, the Rockets reached an agreement on a five-year, $185 million contract with their star center on Monday, sources confirmed to ClutchPoints. Sengun is coming off a career year in which he averaged 21.1 points, 9.3 rebounds, and 5.0 assists per game while shooting 53.7 percent from the floor. He finished third in the NBA's Most Improved Player award voting after suffering a season-ending leg injury and missing the final 19 games of the regular season.

For years, the Rockets had been tied to conversations about big men hitting the market, both in free agency and on the trade market. Prior to his new contract with the Milwaukee Bucks, Brook Lopez was seriously considering signing with the Rockets in 2023, sources said. Ultimately, the Rockets stuck with Sengun, and this is a decision they have not regretted whatsoever. Sengun has shown flashes of being one of the best centers in the NBA given his ability to score in the paint and make others around him better as a passer. Houston added Steven Adams last season not only to fortify their frontcourt but also to help mentor Sengun.

The situation between Sengun and the Rockets was somewhat similar to Kuminga's with the Warriors in terms of the player and his representation wanting max value given his production leading up to the NBA extensions deadline. In Sengun's case, he was a borderline All-Star a season ago and wants to capitalize on his future with a high rookie-scale extension before the 2024-25 season. The Rockets, sources said, were not close on a deal with Sengun, with a week remaining until the start of the 2024-25 season. While the two sides were talking, it was believed that no deal would be reached.

This changed when Sengun and his camp were willing to accept a deal with an annual average value less than $40 million, which is how the sides came together on a $185 million extension that holds an average annual value of $37 million. The team was also willing to offer the 22-year-old center a deal similar to Green's, which would've given him a chance at a max contract a couple of years from now. The need for long-term commitment was needed to make a deal happen, which is why Stone and the Rockets were happy to make this extension their reality.

Green and Sengun are now the future of the Rockets. This has been the case over the last few seasons, and now this will be the case moving forward. Although there have been rumors suggesting Houston is wanting to be active on the trade block, they will no longer do so with Green nor Sengun in mind. With a plethora of other young talents and draft picks, the Rockets are well-equipped to be aggressive on the trade market with any All-Star-level talent that becomes available between now and February's trade deadline.

13 in 33 and vince like this.
  7. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

True! I apologize; I didn't mean to be disrespectful. What I meant, though, was that they are happy so why do we discuss their contracts one way or another?

8. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

This one for sure messes up our cap space. I love Sengun but why not wait to do this like Philly did with Maxey?

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't think there really is anyone better than FVV and Steven Adams to be had in the free agent market for our team.

And when you can get a player like Sengun with such a massive discount, you just have to do it.

13 in 33 and clutchdabear like this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Love Mitty, great poster on Twitter.

13 in 33, BigMaloe, cmoak1982 and 3 others like this.
  11. invocux

invocux Member

Somebody check Clutch he could be having a seizure

Boii and HeyBudLetsParty like this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

@Clutch is the no. 1 Rockets fan. I am sure he is happy we locked up our franchise player, at a bargain value.

13 in 33 and BMoney like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Cry more

14. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

This is 100% false. Please delete or edit this post to avoid spreading inaccurate information. No Trade Clauses cannot be added to extensions, and a player must have both eight years of NBA experience and at least four years with the team they are signing with.

I am guessing that whomever is spreading the rumor is confusing a no-trade clause with the "poison pill provision", which makes it difficult to salary match if you're trying to trade a rookie who has signed an extension before it takes effect. This falls off at the start of the new league year once the extension takes effect (see Josh Green last year, who ended up being involved in the Klay Thompson S&T, but only after July 1st).

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...

Sengun is a hero.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm sorry if I contributed to that rumour spreading to Twitter, with my unfounded speculation.

I wonder if he has a trade kicker, like Jalen Green?

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Voted No because it should have been a 6 year deal

Dankstronaut likes this.
  18. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Hero of what?

19. cujo

cujo Member

I’m so happy

20. duluth111222