1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Week 7 Texans @ Packers

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 15, 2024.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Look at their schedule and tell me one game going forward you think they will lose?

I was hoping this one

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mixon 1 yard
    Stroud->Diggs 17 yards
    Mixon 2 yards
    Mixon 2 yards
    Mixon 2 yards
    Mixon 17 yards
    Mixon 1 yard
    Mixon -1 yard
    Mixon -1 yard
    Mixon -2 yards

#1422 J.R., Oct 20, 2024
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2024
    everyday eddie and Fulgore like this.
  3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Tank had 0 catches today. ZERO. Is the injury from last season and gunshot wound affecting him still? Worried we won't get the same Tank back. He was a lock for so many high energy highlight reel plays and catches every game he played last year and now we're lucky to get anything from him.

ROCKSS likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Lions, Chiefs, Ravens for starters. The rest are "maybe's"

5. Buck Turgidson

Running the ball today was not the ****ing problem.

6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Dude like 1 team has gone undefeated in 40 years or whatever, and that was far and away the best team in the history of the sport. This KC team isn’t remotely close to that, they’ll likely go 13-4, maybe 14-3

7. conquistador#11

The inbetweening is what irks me the most about the loss. Choose a lane.
    They would have been better off kneeling 3x
    Instead they're giving us this delusional bs that they were trying to score in the last drive. Easy say it's fixable but they did it last week and were lucky buffalo was dumber that day.

ROCKSS and Buck Turgidson like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Already penciling in a L (especially in that **** ass stadium) (Jets game last year, Ravens, Vikings…)

ROCKSS and conquistador#11 like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

Mason had a nice block on the last drive where he pulled and sprung Mixon for a 12 yard gain. Unfortunately, he also pulled on the previous play, didn't know who to block so he didn't block anybody, resulting in a 1 yard loss.

11. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

God i wish they would get rid of kickoffs, such a stupid waste of time

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  12. PackerNation

PackerNation Member

Good game. Respect to the Texans players and coaching staff.

On to Jacksonville for the Pack. That is the focus. One at a time.

OneTeamOneNation
    PackerNation!

13. BMoney

BMoney Member

No, but 2nd and 9, or 2nd and 10 killed them when it counted.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Haason Reddick is about to eat. He came back just in time.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Member

This. Maybe could’ve mixed it up a bit more but the OL was a sieve today, passing more probably wasn’t at the top of the call sheet.

Defense played admirably today, but missing multiple starters today was the difference at the end.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

It's part of the problem. We're not winning the battle in the trenches. If the other team knows we're running, we're at a disadvantage.

And that's what happened on the last drive. Everybody knew we were going to run trying to burn time. We couldn't get positive yards and got put in a 3rd and 15 situation where we thought we had to throw it. Field Goal, Packers respond and we lose.

So, yeah. It's not THE problem but it's part of the problem. If we had the run game we were hoping we would have, we probably wouldn't have been in 3rd and 15 and throwing the ball.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

“Our keys to victory this week was executing and finish, and we didn’t execute well enough,” said Ryans, whose team fell to 5-2. “All the way across the board, we didn’t execute well enough, and we didn’t finish the game. I credit the Packers. They finished it the right way.”

Quarterback C.J. Stroud finished with a career-low 86 passing yards, completing 10 of 21 attempts. It was just the second time in his career he finished with less than 100 yards passing. He passed for 91 yards against the New York Jets on Dec. 10, 2023.

The common denominator in those two games was the absence of Nico Collins, who is Stroud’s best threat at wide receiver but is on injured reserve with a hamstring injury.

Collins isn’t returning for at least another couple weeks, but the Texans have other receiving options. They traded for Stefon Diggs in the offseason. They got back Tank Dell, who was on pace for 1,000 yards receiving before his season-ending injury last year. Dalton Schultz is considered one of the top receiving tight ends in the NFL.

That none of them had more than 28 yards receiving Sunday is an indictment on Slowik, the guy whose schemes are supposed to get them open.

There’s no reason Dell should play an entire game and have zero catches on four targets.

“We have to find a way to try and get him the rock early and often and then go from there,” Stroud said of Dell. “It has to be a focus for us, not only just him but the whole offense clicking early. That is really my job to get the ball out on time and to where it is supposed to go.”

“Our goal is always to go score (a touchdown),” Ryans said when asked about his thought process on the final drive. “That’s our goal. They did a good job stopping us. Didn’t get in. Obviously, we didn’t pass the ball well all day, so wasn’t good all the way around.”

The frustrations were clear in the locker room. Dell and Diggs sat for several minutes in silence. So did the offensive line group. In hushed tones, the linemen discussed among themselves what went wrong.

The Packers' defense confused them with stunts. Green Bay sacked Stroud four times and pressured him on 48.3% of his dropbacks. Most of his throws needed to come out quickly.

“They rush as one,” Stroud said of the Packers. “They have a lot of twist game up front, so the more that they twist and turn, we just have to settle a little bit and just try to level it off. But I thought they did a good job sitting in their stunts.

“We just have to be better in protection, and I have to be better at getting the ball out on time. It is a multitude of things.”

Stunts against the Texans are nothing new. The Bears, Vikings and Colts employed them, too, with varied levels of success.
    The Packers took stunts to another level while sending a blitz on only five of Stroud’s 25 dropbacks.

“We’ve just got to communicate better,” left tackle Laremy Tunsil said of the offensive line. “All five guys have to be on the same page with the running backs.”

Sunday’s game should be a wake-up call for the Texans' offense, which hasn’t had more than 200 yards passing in the two games Collins has been out.

“We gotta cut on the tape and figure out why they played better than us today,” said Diggs, who was involved in a pregame altercation. “I said during the week we got a lot of horses in the stable. We got to find a way to make that happen. There’s too much talent on the outside to be having 55 passing yards — er, 86, whatever the (expletive) it was.

“Excuse my language. We just got to play better.”

jch1911 likes this.
  18. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

They will have Hasaan Reddick back for this game too. No bueno.

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Texans lose on a last second fg and now they’re the worst team in the league?

20. Nick

Nick Member

Agreed… although GB did adjust starting in the 2nd half. Mixon was still able to break some off, but they were begging for one more wrinkle/adjustment… a play-action, a flea-flicker, just one more alteration to really throw the defense off.

Never got to that point. Sure, they didn’t turn it over, but they finished the game with 10 singles, no XBH’s or HR’s.