1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A lookahead to the potential starters for Kansas City and Detroit

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Yordan The Great, Sep 25, 2024 at 9:10 PM.

1. Yordan The Great

Detroit
    Skubal
    Reese
    Mize
    Montero
    Holton (opener)

We all know know the imminent AL Cy Young winner Skubal. That's going to be a major challenge.

Reese has only been back very recently from injury and has not gone past the 3rd inning in those 2 starts. He's clearly their 2nd best starter but he is limited in what he can give them.

Mize has also returned from injury at the end of August. He too has failed to go deep in games in his 4 starts.

Montero is the equivalent of our Montero but the starter version. He's all over the map. He is a rookie forced into the rotation since the end of June.

My guess is he'll combo start Reese in game 2 or 3 and have Mize start the other.

Kansas City
    Lugo
    Ragans
    Singer
    Wacha
    Marsh

Marsh is definitely out of the post season rotation entirely.

So the question then becomes Singer or Wacha in the 3rd in this short series? I'm betting on the veteran Wacha. Singer has struggled in the 2nd half of the season after a tremendous start. A 5.92 ERA since the start of August. Plus Wacha gives you valuable post season experience on his resume.

Wacha since May 9, a 2.61 ERA and 18 of 21 starts allowing 2 runs or fewer. He's actually been their best starter as Lugo's sizzling first half has cooled off a great deal.

Lugo since June 4 has a very pedestrian ERA of 3.85.

Ragans is Mr. Reliable, doesn't miss starts. He's one of the hottest starters in September, 4 starts with a 1.08 ERA.

I would go Ragans, Lugo, Wacha.

I look at Kansas City as having Seattle's rotation (top 4) but a much better lineup. But that lineup has been shuffling the past few weeks with only Witt showing any life. Losing Vinnie Pasquantino has been huge for them. He was the most clutch hitter in baseball.

Bullpens:
    Detroit with the huge advantage. What plagued them in the first 4 months of the season blowing late leads has totally resolved itself and they have one of the absolute best and deepest (7 quality relievers) pens in all of baseball.

Kansas City has had a turbulent season regarding the bullpen and will go into the post season very vulnerable in late close games. Erceg has solidified the closer position but everyone behind him is pretty much a crapshoot.

Conclusion:
    I would take the Tigers all day long. Yes you face the prospect of going down 1-0 because of Skubal but the Tigers aren't set up starter wise even for a short 3 game series. The Royals can go toe to toe with all 3 Astros starters. And their lineup is definitely more potent. That being said, the Tigers are 29-11 since August 11 (best in baseball) and they have won almost ever close game during this stretch. They simply believe they can win at this point.

#1 Yordan The Great, Sep 25, 2024 at 9:10 PM
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2024 at 9:21 PM
  2. Rileydog

Rileydog Member

I prefer KC. They are night and day home vs road the last time I looked. The offensive numbers are so skewed it makes people wonder if they are cheating at home. Their SP are good, but the pen is relatively weak.

Detroit is scary hot and their pen is formidable. Skubal can win a game himself, and Hinch can bullpen his way to another W.

3. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

KC’s offense has been absolutely pathetic for awhile now. It’s Bobby Witt and no one else. We have hit Ragans pretty well. Give me the Royals.

4. Rileydog

Rileydog Member

All that said, I would like the Minnesota twins please.

5. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Lol this would be the most ideal outcome but doubtful it happens. Minnesota does own the tiebreaker over the Royals though. And the Royals are going to be playing a desperate Braves team this weekend.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Also just a FYI…if Detroit and/or KC somehow have to win Sunday to get in, Skubal and Ragans are scheduled to start.

With the games being Tues-Thurs, they would be pitching on short rest on Thursday if it even gets to game 3.

7. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Analysis on the managers? Not too familiar with whoever is in Detroit.

conquistador#11 and Stephen66 like this.
  8. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Well we know his opinion on our manager lol

9. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

vince likes this.
  10. torque

torque Member
    Supporting Member

I want no part of Detroit. That team has an ace and is hot - that is the classic recipe for the underdog World Series run.

rockbox, raining threes and justinh like this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Definitely would rather Houston play KC than Detroit. It’s interesting to me that both those teams really have their entire hopes built around 1 player. KC banks on Witt to generate offense and Detroit banks on Skubal to guarantee them a win each series. Baseball is fluky but I like Houston’s odds against either team. Wish it was a 5 game series instead of 3.

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Houston has the deepest and most experienced team among all the possibles.

The shorter the series, the less that matters.

13. SuraGotMadHops

I don't ever play the "I would rather play this team instead of that team" game because that has a way of biting you in the azz.

I am also an overly nervous fan and all playoff opponents scare me, all the time.

14. raining threes

If the Stros face Detroit and Skubal wins a game, I'm betting Hinch can piece together a bullpen game for another win. How I'm wrong.

15. conquistador#11

The format scares me more than the teams.

16. Radricky

Radricky Member

17. Radricky

Radricky Member

Yeah really wish they could have secured the first round bye.
    I don’t even like 5 game series. A 3 game one is too random.

everyday eddie likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

I don't like playing teams that are really playing well - and Detroit is really playing well.

The Tigers are 29-11 in this last 40 games.

They are 3-0 against the Royals in that stretch... 4-2 against Baltimore.... 3-0 against the A's

GOATuve likes this.
  19. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Yet Dodger and Yankee fans claim their first round failures due to rust.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

Skubal and Ragans are both ace tuff. I don't care. They both have to go through our lineup.