1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson - Point [Forward or Guard?]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Oct 6, 2023.

?

Where should Amen spend most of his minutes?

1. Guard

212 vote(s)
    66.9%
  2. Forward

86 vote(s)
    27.1%
  3. other

19 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

this is why i don't understand why he and his brother can't shoot. they live in the freaking gym and are basketball geniuses

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Someone should be sued for malpractice honestly, if this dude had started seriously working on his 3pter a few years ago he would be worth $30-40m already.

3. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

I look at DreamShook's avatar and then look at Amen's shot. Some people struggle to shoot. Not very many people can shoot at an NBA level.

Edit: I am rooting for him to get to a passable 33-35% level on 3's. It may never happen.

don grahamleone and DreamShook like this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Member

Feigen: “Anyone looked different from when you last saw them”
    Coach: “Physically, yes. Immediately saw a few guys. Amen stood out.”

about what’s the biggest difference in new facility, he said most of them (the coaches) were used to having this from previous jobs. “the biggest deal is having two courts.” Yay! We’ve finally arrived, sigh.

MystikArkitect and Mathloom like this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Or maybe he would have not ended up with his agility if he worked more on his shot than other things. Look at his brother. His brother does not have the quick twitch/body control that Amen has. Sure Ausar is talented and athletic, but Amen's agility makes it incredibly difficult for non-guards to guard him.

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, but if Jalen performs that knocks Reed out. He was drafted 3rd in a really weak at the top end draft. He hasn’t played a single NBA game. Ime is the coach and he will not defer to Sheppard in his rookie year. I think you will be surprised at to how little playing time Sheppard gets unless Jalen gets traded. Holiday will get more time the first half of the year than Sheppard. Hope I’m wrong, but Ime will defer to veterans until it results in losses piling up. Amen needs to get 30-35 mins a game right from the start, but I predict he doesn’t even get 30 and he and Brooks will get about the same amount of minutes on the floor for at least the first 25 games or so.

Dobbizzle and don grahamleone like this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

3PT shooting is just too valuable, so many players have a better 3pt shot than him when they arrive.

We'll fix it but I just can't believe how they have been watching the NBA and didn't realize they need to be better shooters.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  8. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Green performing doesn’t “knock” Reed out. Sheppard / Green / Amen / Smith / Sengun is an excellent fit. I have no idea why people are obsessed with pigeonholing Amen to PG when he’s shown he can play 1 - 5. Again, I think Sheppard will make his mark early. Ime won’t defer to vets over pure talent.

9. MystikArkitect

Reed's shooting is too important. If he's north of 40% from 3, which is probable, then he'll end up playing and contributing. To what degree depends on matchups (defense).

Amen needs to be starting. Whether it's in place of Dillon or Jalen but having your second best player, best defender, best transition player, best rim finisher and highest upside player on the bench is lunacy.

Y2JT likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Amen statically is not the best finisher. Jalen already has similar scoring efficiency at the rim as Amen but then you remove his offensive put backs...

Don't know why you make such definitive claims like this especially at the expense of Jalen. Like you always have this aha it of being absolutely certain that Jalen Green isn't part of the future as a matter of fact opinion and at this point I'm assuming it's because you have grudges against some posters.

And you never back up your opinions with anything. We e been through this claim of Amen being our best rim finisher multiple times already and you just do that Donald Turnp that ng of being corrected and then repeating the same claim in another place. The two best finishers on this team is Alpi and then Jalen.

Just a reminder Jalen Green has a 69% fg% 0-3 feet from the rim. Amen has a 70% fg% 0-3 feet from the rim. Take away Amen's dunker spot open dunks that Green hardly gets, and offensive put backs which Green hardly does because he's a guard and you can see that Green is more efficient at attacking the rim against a set defense. Amen has a touch issue around the rim so far. It definitely has a chance to improve but he simply doesn't have Green's lay up package and touch at the rim.

Dobbizzle and don grahamleone like this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I’m not pigeon holing. Looking at the makeup of our team and the fact that FVV will probably only be here this season or maybe next. GM’s and coaches have to work together on how to manage the cap and how to put viable rotations on the floor with the players you expect to be on the team for the next 2-5 years. We are absolutely loaded at the wing. We are right now 1 deep at PG. I do think having a multiple headed monster as the initiator in the half court is a gift. The vast majority of fans are crowning Sheppard as the PG of the future, much like crowning Jalen as our future before most had ever seen him play. I do think that a Sheppard, Amen backcourt could be our future, but the coaches will give Amen every opportunity to be the PG of the future, because of how it would strengthen the squad as a whole. The other aspect is having incredible athleticism at all 5 positions. Amen, Jalen, Tari, Jabari, and Sengun would be the best transition team in the NBA.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I strongly disagree, the performance of Sheppard does not impact Jalen in any way and the performance of Jalen does not impact Sheppard in any way.

Sheppard is the PG of the future, if Jalen turns his career around, Sheppard is still the PG of the future... if Green fails to turn his career around.... Sheppard is still the PG of the future.

In fact, if Jalen turns his career around and finally learns how to shoot a basketball, Sheppard will be a perfect fit next to him. If Sheppard fails, it just means the team will need to find someone else to be the PG of the future.

They simply aren't competitors at all. Jalen can't do what Sheppard can do, Sheppard doesn't have Jalen's height or athleticism. One is a highly athletic SG, one is a high BBIQ PG.

13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Perhaps you and I differ with respect to Tari more than Reed. Tari is way lower on my prospect list than Reed at the moment. I far prefer an eventual core of Sheppard / Jalen or Cam (or trade) / Amen / Bari / Sengun as opposed to Amen / Jalen or Cam / Tari / Bari / Sengun. Again, I think there's a very good chance Reed takes over the backup PG role early in the season, and the Rockets part ways with FVV either via trade at the deadline or this upcoming offseason.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I was saying it would not him out of the top 4 keepers that was articulated by the previous poster. Crowning a guy a sure fire PG after watching him play 3 summer league games is pre-mature. I like Sheppard and think he has a really good chance of being good, but he is not a slam dunk to be a star PG or even a starting PG on offense. I hope he comes in and is an immediately upgrade to FVV, I just have my doubts.

Dobbizzle and A_3PO like this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

feels like Im supposed to be offended, but Im not sure, lol

Steve urkel shoots better than Amen and his brother combined

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a pretty extreme pessimistic opinion that I'm not sure many share.

Even if Jalen turns around his career and becomes the guy his fans thought he already was 4 years ago, Sheppard would still have the 3rd or 4th highest ceiling on the roster behind Sengun, Jalen, and MAYBE Amen.

Also, of those he's got arguably the second best odds of hitting that ceiling because he doesn't have to learn how to shoot a basketball, isn't set back by a low BBIQ, and you don't have to factor in years of failure.

I think if you watched more of him in college, you'd have a different opinion... you'd know nothing is based on a few summer league games.

There's a good chance he ends up the best player the Rockets draft in their rebuild.

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I just want to see Reed against real nba players that will constantly muscle him and harass him when he has the ball. We saw how ineffective he was when that occurred in summer league. I’m not saying he won’t be able to overcome his lack of athleticism, but I think crowning him the backup PG in his rookie season, a season we are trying to get in the playoffs, will not be a tact that Ime will take. Let me be clear, I think Sheppard has a good career ahead of him, but he will see very limited minutes for at least half the season, maybe the whole season.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  18. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

The idea that Amen has more levels to his athleticism is crazy to think about.

Mathloom, OremLK and A_3PO like this.
  19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You are being very sensible. Reed will begin the season playing mostly off the ball as a floor spacer. As he learns and depending how fast he progresses, he'll get some time at the point. More than anything else, Ime is going to put Reed into situations where he is most likely to succeed. I will be shocked if Reed is ready to step in as backup point early in the season.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He seemed to have a good form in 9th grade and then I guess he had too many inputs from bad coaches. Tweaking a form takes a nosedive in consistency which causes frustrations.