1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green will be the Rockets' Numero Uno

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Jan 2, 2024.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Being better than Jalen will ever be is not a high hurdle... it doesn't even mean you'll be a terribly good player. It just means you are a starting caliber player in the NBA.

Y2JT likes this.
  2. MadMax

MadMax Member

I think there's a fairly noteworthy gap between how Jalen has played in his first 3 seasons and guys who have won championships. There's quite a few players in between those markers.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

daywalker02 likes this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Jalen fans are lagging behind Sengun fans, Amen fans, and Tari fans, even Jock fans. They need to work harder in the offseason.

Bo6 and J Sizzle like this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's sentences like this that make me wonder. Do you realize if he averaged that for a season, he'd be worth $50m? His max is $35m.

Let me relieve you of your worries: there is no chance anyone on the roster or anyone acquired in trade will achieve that. In fact I believe the top few MVP vote getters are the only people who achieved that last season.

No wonder you're so disappointed. The perceived gap is vast.

#3925 Mathloom, Jul 29, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2024
    Verbal Christ likes this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Jalen had a baby or 3, he is probably a bit distracted this offseason.

DD

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

Nobody knows for sure who is working out and who is not. My guess is all of the new core 7 are working out every day in some capacity or the other, Jalen included. Sengun reportedly is working out 3 times a day, but who knows if that is true. The one I am positive is working out hard is Jabari, because he always has and his dad drives him to be the best he can be.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Guys like SGA and Booker were doing their thang on 22 win teams in their third season. Impressive stuff.

If only Jalen could be like that.

Hell SGA was still leading teams to mid 20s wins in his FOURTH season.

9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Sga 2nd season his team was 44-28, a 50 win pace if it had been an 82 game season

Corrosion likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

I'm not going to do your work for you so I'll ask you to elaborate on context like if certain players were added to that OKC season and what happened after they left.

11. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

That’s the point, rockets improved cause they replaced kpj with fvv. If the rockets decided to tank last season they’d have won in the 20s also

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Bingo. And Jalen would probably build on his second season offensive numbers under the Silas regime letting him cook and not worry about expending energy to be a better all around player especially on defense.

Jalen his second year averaged 22 ppg on 54% ts. If he continued into his third year on a team expected to win low 20s where he's allowed the same continuity in freedom and lack of accountability his scoring numbers would naturally improve but the team would be still losing and Green wouldn't develop on other aspects like defense.

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Maybe, maybe not. His TS peaked as a rookie, he dropped considerably his 2nd season

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

55% ts to 54% ts isn't a considerable drop and in fact can be seen as an improvement given the 5 ppg increase in volume and 10% increase in self creation rate from 50% to 60%.

If you aren't a hater I think it's pretty obvious Green would have built upon his second year of scoring if the same regime and team expectations carried on where he was allowed to do what he wanted on offense with notch expectations in putting on effort anywhere else. Wouldn't have been good for his long term development or the team's development as a whole but good for his individual offensive scoring number and maybe better for online discourse over Green on websites like this.

15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

He went from 3% below league average as a rookie to 7% as a sophomore. To me that’s a big drop.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

7%?

Buddy adjusted ts isn't a percentage. It's a normal distribution around 100 being the mean ts% for the league that season. So the degree of 3 to 7 is a much different measurement than dropping from let's say 60% to 53%.

It's akin to saying the drop in 4 degrees in Fahrenheit is the same as in Celsius.

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Correct

18. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

Yesterday....as in before last season. Yeah!

Tired of the excuses.

He DID play some speculative value in near the end of last year when Sengun was down. ( against teams tanking and teams with injured critical players)I dont think JG can play with Alperen. Dude needs the ball in is hands.
    It seems so many are willing to just ride that penny stock down.
    Time is not our friend with him, and he most certainly will lose a ton of value if he starts out like last year.

I'd say JG STILL has #5 pick or so speculative value to the right team. (he goes in a deal for a real good vet)

#3938 Plowman, Jul 29, 2024
  19. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

I think there's a very good chance JG goes out with assets for Booker.
    PHX won't stay healthy, and they don't play well together.

#3939 Plowman, Jul 29, 2024
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It doesn't really matter if you or I know how to make Sengun and Green a dynamite pairing because Udoka does and he's dying to get started. He brought this up without being prompted about it.

Doesn't matter that you're fed up either. Udoka just got here a year ago and he sounds motivated AF about Green. He wasn't here for Silas years, so impatience won't bias him.

When players get traded in the final year of rookie scale, 99.9% of the time it's a contract dump. Team has given up and return is garbage. There's no one netting a #5 pick at that point. If Green is getting you that, it's totally illogical to trade him.

The idea of him losing value is fake panic. I get that you are obsessed with Booker, but I don't think you see that it's driving your panic. Green is worth 1-2 mediocre picks a year ago or in 6 months. Marginal impact on our assets. Would be absurd to rush into trading him when there's far less risk he'll walk for nothing or receive an unreasonable offer from the market. Those are demonstrably rare things.

I hope you can at least see no one in management is interested in this strategy. Unless you're one of the posters who believe the front office, coaches, senior and junior players are conspiring to act like they are confident about Greens future. That I can't help you with.

#3940 Mathloom, Jul 29, 2024