1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade deadline needs and watch party

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by IdStrosfan, Jul 4, 2024.

1. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Honestly, I'm picky AF right now when it comes to who the Astros should go after... but once they put on our uniform I'm a fan.

2. Nook

Nook Member

I suppose it is in the eye of the beholder, and largely depending on whether you think the Astros system is underrated or not.

3. Nook

Nook Member

The M’s aren’t messing around.

4. Radricky

Radricky Member

Get er done Dana

ryan_98 and Rock Block like this.
  5. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

In other words, Montero is staying :(

Fiah likes this.
  6. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

The Astros are in on Fedde and Flaherty.

ryan_98 likes this.
  7. kaw1988

kaw1988 Member

8. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

For the team that is selling now but hopes to contend next season we could offer an entire rotation.
    L McCullers
    C Javier
    J Urquidy
    L Garcia
    JP France

9. kaw1988

kaw1988 Member

Crazy. That's actually a pretty solid rotation lol. The all-injury team

ryan_98 and Rock Block like this.
  10. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes

Be a good get....

kaw1988 likes this.
  11. leroy

leroy Member

I don't think Arozarena moves the needle at all for them. We'll see what else they pull off...but if the Astros did nothing else, I'm still picking them to win the division again.

everyday eddie likes this.
  12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

In ‘22, Peña had a 102 OPS+ in the regular season. He did not hit well. The ‘22 playoffs remain an extreme outlier.

13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The Mariners are still short bats, but anyone who thinks Arozerana "doesn't move the needle" is either not paying attention or doesn't know baseball.

It's a huge upgrade for them.

Wulaw Horn, The Beard and Fiah like this.
  14. raining threes

Ok

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

Getting a hit is good, obviously - but a stat that doesn’t differentiate between a single and a HR, counting both the same, isn’t. Batting average is (mostly) meaningless. No teams care about it.

Your argument is, basically, a pitcher would rather face Yordan Alvarez than Steven Kwan, and, uhm… no pitcher would rather face Alvarez than Kwan.

This isn’t hard. If a pitcher challenges a power hitter, and loses - it’s now a 1-2 run game. If he gives up a single, it’s still a 2-3 run game.

Correct. Hitting a home run in *any* circumstance is better than a non-HR hit.

LOL that you think a player’s “mentality” is “more valuable than scoring runs.” That’s such nonsense.

You haven’t shown that. What you’ve done is make up a scenario in which a hitter gets more hits and then equated that to batting average having value.

No one is arguing hits are bad. Just that a formula that calculates all hits are equal is bad.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

I’m not arguing singles/hits are bad; I’m arguing a formula that would determine nine singles (.900) is better than 4 HRs (.400) is a meaningless statistic.

17. Radricky

Radricky Member

Ryne stanek got traded to the Mets on his birthday

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

… in *an* inning? Dude… We’re discussing the viability of batting average not that 4 hits is better than 9 in *an* inning.

If a team goes 9/10 with 9 singles, their batting average is .900. If they go 9/10 with 9 HR, they have the same batting average.

Are you going to argue they’re the same? That’s why batting average is mostly meaningless. It treats every hit the same. Hits are not the same.

19. The Beard

The Beard Member

I agree although it's going to be interesting to see how he does there. That's been the toughest park to hit in for a few years going

20. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

You have made this about homeruns and such being better, where the point is not to discount BA. And no Kwan would not be more valuable than Yordan because Yordan gets base hits just as much as drawing walks and hits homeruns. Someone like Santana (mentioned before) would be more of a player I'd feel a pitcher could overcome in the 9th inning compared to a solid contact hitter that can put the ball in play.