1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Enjoy the next 5 years fellas. It's about to be special.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bo6, Jul 15, 2024.

1. MadMax

MadMax Member

I need the premise of this thread to be true. Manifest it please :)

desihooper, clos4life, cml750 and 3 others like this.
  2. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

co-signed

Dobbizzle likes this.
  3. Rokman

Rokman Member

I'm going to bed. Y'all wake me up in October.

clos4life and Bo6 like this.
  4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I have no doubts. We've earned it for watching Rockets basketball for the past 4 years (yes I am counting the Russell Westbrook year).

clos4life likes this.
  5. krosfyah

krosfyah Member

Agreed. I'm going to wait until after we win a championship before jumping on board. In fact, I'm gonna wait until we 3peat cause if you don't have a dynasty then you still don't measure up. Now that I'm thinking, there still will be an asterisk until the Rockets get into MJ, Kobe, or Lebron territory. We'll always be second fiddle to those guys and that would be unfortunate.

So no, rain away amigo! We simply don't measure up. Wake me up during the HOF induction speech.

(hopefully my DVR has enough space on it to record everything that happed prior to that so I can binge watch it)

xaos, Bo6 and harold bingo like this.
  6. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

100% facts! This is why having a real hit in the draft is better than five dfferent good ones. like, we gotta hit a grand slam, instead of 10 singles. This is why Sengun last year was so special and so exciting. Other guys have potential, but that's just it - just potential. Ton of guys have massive potential but never pan out. We need just one more out of the other core guys to be special. If JG is that guy, I'd be ecstatic but I don't think he'll be. If Jabar is that guy, I'd be over the moon but I don't think he'll be. Tari won't be. Amen could be but shooting is a REAL concern that many guys NEVER develop. Cam looks real promising and really young but again, we're talking about a superstardom level, home run type of guy, not a Corey Maggette. Reed could be but his physical profile is a reality. I'm not saying they all won't be, I'm just saying we need ONE MORE franchise altering guy, along with Sengun. Even Sengun, I'm hoping he takes another step but he could just repeat last year this year - borderline All star but not All Star

Rokman likes this.
  7. Rokman

Rokman Member

Just remember, All-Star is a popularity contest and really just an award of acceptance for the players. Doesn't make them the most coducive to winning.

wlekfjv923n likes this.
  8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I know history says otherwise, but I think the new cap rules are going to change the dynamic. Teams that are super deep with good to great players are going to have a legitimate shot. The over all level of athleticism has increased exponentially, making “superstars” very hard to differentiate themselves. Look at Boston. Tatum and Brown are borderline superstars. I think if you have 2 or 3 guys that can take over a game offensively, then you have a model that can succeed in the NBA. I also think the definition of superstar needs to change to include defense. I love our mix of talent and think we are one of the deepest teams in the league. Our mix of talent is still not quite right and I’m hoping our FO can navigate the next several years to keep our depth and work with Ime to get our rotation optimized.

wlekfjv923n and cmlmel77 like this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

We have a war chest of picks and promising players. Feels like the next few years will be very interesting and exciting.

Just TBD if we have a future top 20 player or can trade for one (or two).

Bo6 likes this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sengun will be top 20 this year.

wlekfjv923n, Bo6 and pippendagimp like this.
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Tired of the old narrative that you can’t win a title without a legit superstar. That’s revisionist and mostly irrelevant. Almost none of those guys were considered “legit superstars” in their first few years. Most of them were only considered legit superstars after their title and/or in their prime.

That means if we had a future legit superstar, they wouldn’t look like a legit superstar right now. So the fact that you can’t see it is meaningless. That’s not unique to us, everyone has to build with that uncertainty. You keep pushing on with development until a great l turning point or trade opportunity pops up.

What’s different for us is all those teams had one or two players who could become legit superstars. We have at least 4. Logically, were should be more optimistic. There’s no need to be more cautious or as cautious as other teams. Nothing is guaranteed but our odds are amazing.

Further, there’s not been many teams in history that have a chance to have a beautifully balanced starting lineup, all homegrown like us. So even if we were going to do it without a clear #1, our odds are relatively elite.

Can’t wait for the team to rise next season so that the most fearful among us can relax.

#51 Mathloom, Jul 25, 2024 at 6:22 AM
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2024 at 12:50 PM
  12. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

You sure he won't be top 1?

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He could eventually be, but he would have to be featured more, in a heliocentric offense. I am not advocating that. Team success over Westbrook-style stat padding.

wlekfjv923n likes this.