1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hamas attacks Israel: Yom Kippur War, 50 years on

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Oct 7, 2023.

1. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

Moses was there kicking balls before the Arabs knew who Mohammed was
    @tallanvor

go Jews

basso likes this.
  2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The problem is that they haven't gone hard the Rome in Carthage or the US in Germany and Japan. They have used very limited strikes, even cancelling strikes when they observed civilians in the line of fire.
    It is only indefinite warfare if they don't get total victory. Indefinite warfare is the situation they have been in for 76 years, and they got that way by making concessions to the enemies on their doorstep.
    Yes, they fell to the people they "made peace" with (as well as internal division). The Goths and Visigoths weren't invading from Africa, they were the emboldened people of northern Europe that were not crushed by Rome who swept in after two devastating civil wars destroyed Rome's ability to defend itself. Even so, as far as empires go, they had a pretty good run of it (and that's just counting the Western Roman Empire). 622 years between the destruction of Carthage and the end of the Empire.

basso and AroundTheWorld like this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

So you’re saying Israel hasn’t done enough and they should level Gaza and sell any survivors into slavery like Rome did to Carthage?
    As you note the massive amount of wars and internal divisions in Rome led to its downfall. as it happens the past two years Israel has suffered major internal divisions even as they are fighting more wars.

And again as noted Rome didn’t just rely on total warfare but also made conquered people Roman citizens and built infrastructure and economic development in conquered area.

While Israel has blown up Palestinian infrastructure and strangled economic development.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

To be a fly on the wall in that room.

Netanyahu has seemingly made every move he's made with the assumption that Trump is going to win in 2024. Biden, who I really admire & respect, has been foolish in dealing with BiBi. Giving him way too much benefit of the doubt, and naive to understand how unpopular he is in Israel. He also does not realize how much BiBi wanted to see Trump back in office and would undercut him at any chance he could get.

I don't see Kamala as being a fool when it comes to Netanyahu, and I'm sure he has zero trust in a damn word he says.... and Netanyahu likely knows that as well. I saw reports yesterday that Harris is likely to signal some major changes in foreign policy, and I'm assuming a big piece of that will be how we deal with Netanyahu as a bad faith actor and a major part of the deterrence to peace in the region.

I'm sure Kamala is totally pro Israel like Biden, but I think this meeting will be a power play stare down of sorts on him really testing her resolve, and gaslighting her a bit to see how much she'll give in to give him the same type of manipulative relationship he has with Biden.

I guess we'll see during Netanyahu's address to Congress what he says, and while he is a skilled politician who rarely shows his cards in the media, I would assume that there will be a signal in that address to Congress about how that relationship would go moving forward under a Kamala Harris administration, and we'll see how desperate he is for Trump to win which will be the biggest tell.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Does anybody acutally listen to this guy anymore:

“We can’t rely on miracles. We need action to eliminate the threat. Only one action will accomplish this, and that’s to topple the Hamas regime in Gaza.” These fighting words were uttered by Benjamin Netanyahu—in 2009, when he was running to become Israel’s next prime minister. “I want to say here and now: We won’t stop … We’ll complete the task. We’ll topple the regime of Hamas terror.
    Consider Netanyahu’s landmark 2009 address at Bar-Ilan University, where the conservative prime minister—under pressure from a newly elected Obama—claimed to have embraced the two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, after having spent his career opposing it. “In my vision of peace in this small land of ours, two peoples live freely, side-by-side, in amity and mutual respect,” he declared. “Each will have its own flag, its own national anthem, its own government. Neither will threaten the security or survival of the other.”
    At a press conference in December 2023, Netanyahu told a reporter that he was “proud” to have thwarted the establishment of such a state “for almost 30 years,” because after the atrocities of October 7, “everybody understands what that Palestinian state could have been, now that we’ve seen the little Palestinian state in Gaza.”
    “The ability to spot danger in advance and prepare for it is the test of a body’s functioning,” the prime minister told a popular Israeli talk show a decade ago. “The Jewish nation has never excelled at foreseeing danger. We were surprised again and again—and the last time was the most awful one. That won’t happen under my leadership.” (It did.)

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2024/07/netanyahu-speech-congress-israel/679207/
    More empty words from Israel's version of Trump who has truly only one policy idea - stay in power to keep from being put on criminal trial.

maypk likes this.
  9. StupidMoniker

No, I think that they should follow the example of the US in Japan and Germany. Total war until the enemy is eliminated, then rebuild and occupy with a new government that is pro-Israel and war crime trials for any remaining Hamas.
    The CIVIL WARS I noted. Rome fighting itself. As of now, there have been no civil wars in Israel. Certainly, it would not make them safer if part of their government broke away, raised and army, and attacked another part of their government.
    You win the total war, then you rebuild. The Romans were most successful when they completely defeated an enemy and then rebuilt, including settling Romans in the conquered territory, governing the conquered territory, and yes, trying to integrate those who do not continue to oppose them into society.

10. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

11. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Japan and Germany were world powers before being defeated. Rebuilding infrastructure of already great powers is an entirely different story than trying make a group of humans that were just living off the land for multiple generations and then got kicked out into a ghetto rebuild.

I have a sincere question. Do you play a psychopath because you think it looks bad ass or are you a sincere psychopath?

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

14. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

Elon cares about the Jews

Kamala doesn't

[​IMG]

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

16. maypk

maypk Member

IDF terrorists don't want them alive. That's heartbreaking.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

18. StupidMoniker

Neither.

19. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

**** Kamal/Rashida.

tinman and AroundTheWorld like this.
  20. tinman