1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green will be the Rockets' Numero Uno

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Jan 2, 2024.

1. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

30 or more points it's not exactly difficult. Or does that not qualify for you? If you like we can go via game score and still watch Jalen make Alpi look like a second rate prospect? Let's put it even easier for you, both players have had a year where the team revolved around them (their first year it was still KPJ/Wood with Jalen in the corner, don't argue and make me pull up all the posts from the time to prove you wrong their also) Jalen in year 2 and Alpi ni year 3. When Jalen was the focus of the team he was the team's best scorer with the most number of high-scoring high efficiency games. When Alpi was the focus of the team Jalen put up more big performances in a month than Alpi put in the entire rest of the season when it revolved around him. That's your superstar? Lol

rocketchamp likes this.
  2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Sengun put up a bpm of 4.9, a vorp of 3.5, a ws/48 of 0.163 with a TS 1% above the league

jalen put up a bpm of -0.5, a vorp of 1.0, a ws/48 of 0.056 wity a TS 7% below the league

how someone can look at that and conclude that jalen is better is pretty wild. Sengun even scores more pts per 100 then jalen which is supposed to be what jalen is “good” at

also looked at game score, sengun had 19 games over 20 and jalen had 15, despite alpi missing time to injury

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Alpi's consistency is just blowing Green out the water in that regard and it shows. It's a losing proposition what you are claiming.

A more reasonable take is that Green had the most impressive month for a Rocket since prime James Harden. So Green has shown the highest highs but also so many lows...so many.

A consistent March Green better than Sengun? Sure. But Sengun was obviously the better player by a bit for the entire season.

rocketstruther likes this.
  4. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Absolutely more consistent, no argument there. But he's also nowhere close to the same star potential, as evidenced by the fact he's never produced the same level of star performances, even when he had the opportunity to do so. Green gets consistent he's a top player in the league, Alpi gets a better shot (his main weakness) he's Sabonis. That's the difference in the 2 players. Alpi's developing and chasing being able to put up Sabonis numbers, Green's developing and chasing his OWN numbers.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Little bit of a trick question there using TS% instead if EFG because while their TS numbers are similar, the EFG is vastly different.

Either way, Jalen scares the hell out of me.

If you give the guy a max deal and he never improves, you look like an idiot.

If you let him walk and he suddenly figures out how to shoot, you look like an idiot.

I think my giving him a max deal would depend on more than just that single stat - I need to see much more consistency - he can't have 43+ games shooting .286 or lower from 3, nearly 3x more than Murray's 15 and 52% of his total games played Vs 25% for Murray.
    Murray shot .375 or better in 60% of his games (35/59) Jalen shot .375 or better in 35% of his games (29/82).

We aren't really comparing apples to apples here.

Yeah, Jalen scares the hell outa me - either way.

jim1961 likes this.
  6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We have all this coming year to evaluate JG. We should have enough data and time to make a good decision.

7. MystikArkitect

Jalen doesn't have a year for evaluation. He has a month. 2 months tops.

clutchdabear, Plowman and ROXTXIA like this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Its up to the FO.

9. MadMax

MadMax Member

I don’t think they’ll take the whole season….he needs to hit early I think

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

That is the most likely, I agree. But that doesn't rule out them trading him before the season begins or waiting half the season.
    If JG begins the year abysmal or lights out the decision will be easier. But if he improves some, but not as much as hoped, they may wait a good while.

clutchdabear and MadMax like this.
  11. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

this would be the worst case scenario and how teams hand out albatross contracts. If he flops again, that’s fine. If he’s great, that’s ideal. If he’s slightly improved that’s a disaster

clutchdabear, Easy and jim1961 like this.
  12. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Okay so the year Jalen was first option we sucked and had worst record in league. The year Alpi was first option we almost made the playoffs. Hmm....

clutchdabear and NewAge like this.
  13. Sooner423

Sooner423 Member

I don't think Udoka will tolerate Jalen playing as poorly early on as he did last year. We could see him go to the bench. I understand he may not accept that and it could tank his value, but I really expect the team to be pushing even harder to win. There are plenty of alternatives on the roster to choose from.

If he goes to the bench, perhaps you offer backup money in an extension. If he declines, let him try to get an offer in restricted free agency or trade him.

clutchdabear and Corrosion like this.
  14. rocketstruther

You keep letting the same 2 - 3 delusional fanatics with an agenda stir the pot here over and over.

Just let them stew in their fantasy world where Jalen has been a better player than Sengun the last three years. It’s not a position anyone sane can take seriously anyway.

15. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

All that is irrelevant bc the team played it's best games with Jalen as the focal point & Sengun hurt. How can you make a argument someone's our best player when the team excels when he's not playing? Offensively AND defensively

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Soooo fanatical!!!!!!!

Someone I just read said Jalen has had the best month by a rocket player since Harden but Sengun overall has been a better player.

Wtf is a message board to discuss your favorite team for ? Just so out of left field fanatical bro all decency is lost!

17. meh

meh Member

To me it's not so much you want to compare their individual games but level of impact. Even if Jalen looks exactly like Jamal Murray in his 4th year, and progress like Murray in the future, that's still a non-star. Yet no one can argue that Denver made the wrong decision to extend Murray back then.

Of course the contract can look bad. But that's the nature of any long term contract. You can argue both Dwight and CP3 contracts were bad, but they were necessary contracts for the Rockets to contend.

I remember a sports executive said something to the effect of, if you always make the most reasonable offer to a player, you are never going to sign any player. If you want to win you just have to overpay.

18. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

It’s very easy to make the case, i did with the numbers i posted. Yes, we beat the wiz and blazers a couple times when jalen was hot for 2 weeks but i care more about the entire season. Are you seriously looking at those numbers and saying “jalen is better then alpi”?

clutchdabear likes this.
  19. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member