1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Mariners

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 19, 2024.

1. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Don’t start the backup catcher!

Don’t do it, joe

seemoreroyals likes this.
  2. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

****in Howie Kendrick man.....

3. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Remember our last series vs the Mariners. We were riding good momentum and had a chance to catch them in the standings if we swept them..but Bagwell decided Jose Abreu was ready to return to the team..because his birthday was that weekend and he wanted to get back to Houston. They decided to bring back a struggling Abreu vs one of the best pitching teams in the most important series of the season. Of course he ended up with multiple errors and 0-fer at the plate. The errors and non-hitting continued and we lost 3 out of 4 and then team fell off the rails again..eventually getting behind by 10 games in the standings. We no longer have an anchor at 1st base weighing us down. And we haven't heard a peep from Bagwell lately. This team is now on the right track.

4. Buck Turgidson

What would the NFL say? OUT: Shin Discomfort

One of our last spring practices, full scrimmage, me as a HS Freshman DB/WR, our starting C goes down (later he says he took a full speed MLB helmet submarine right to the shin on a FB dive up the middle). Kevin's down. Coach K (awesomely great, yet giant old-school DL/OL coach) is yelling at him to "get up and walk it off, it's not broke, it's just a deep bruise!" Kevin tried, and he finished the last 10 plays of the practice.

Next Monday at school Kevin shows up on crutches and a walking cast on his lower leg (he had been to an actual doctor)

We gave Coach so much **** about that for the next several years. "Just a deep bruise!!! Walk it off!!!" anytime anyone got hurt in practice.

Nick likes this.
  5. PhiSlammaJamma

We're in the process of installing Tucker's October upgrade. The download time is significantly increased due to the Microsoft incident.

Stephen66 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

There's so much jinx in this post I hope you haven't doomed us all.

If you look back, if you know how to, this is not what happened.

#206 Buck Turgidson, Jul 20, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2024
  7. Buck Turgidson

8. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Stephen66 likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Member

The NFL has to be transparent AF because of gambling.

They’d have released all the reports of initial imaging and all the repeat imaging Kyle has had. They’d give daily updates as to what he’s doing in regards to “on the field activities”. They’d have to have an accurate timetable on return.

Baseball can be like “out with discomfort”, “ok, no we had to amputate”, “actually turns out they didn’t have to amputate and he’s playing tomorrow… surprise!”

10. Nick

Nick Member

You’re obsessed… there’s help for this.

11. raining threes

Yep, add a SP like Flaherty and that will give them a possible playoff rotation

Framber
    JV
    Flaherty
    Brown
    Blanco.

If Brown is pitching well then he should be leading the rotation and the other four spots go to who's pitching the best. The innings on Blanco's arm worries me a little bit.

Houstunna likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Member

Hopefully if/when JV or Garcia start taking some innings, and hopefully if/when this team has an ok cushion in the playoff race… they’ll be able to build in some rest for Blanco.

You should also be concerned about Brown’s innings, especially if he’s going to go at least 6 for the rest of eternity…

Blanco does seem “built” for the long haul… he’s got the lower frame and stature. Not surprising that he seems to get “better” as the game goes on and he starts to tire some (tends to overthrow his location early).

raining threes likes this.
  13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I also blame Abreu for Tucker's injury.. jk

Astros will likely still make the playoffs, but what Abreu did was reduce the room for error. It made zero sense to return him in the first place -- he'd been sucking against teenagers in Florida -- but doing it against SEA was beyond idiotic. Astros probably win that series instead of losing it (4 game difference in the standings vs them and 2 vs Arluckton) and probably win 2-3 other games before his overcooked (burnt to a crisp) DFA.

Stephen66 and raining threes like this.
  14. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I can clearly see both of your points. Undoubtedly getting Jbreau DFA'd can't be ignored. Team chemistry is vastly improved and they are playing so much better without him.

@Buck Turgidson you can't look me in the eye with a straight face and tell me that if Jbreau was still on the team we would have went from being 10 games behind in the standings to being percentage points in first place in less than a month.

I do agree with you that Jbreau was a jinx and we would have been doomed if he was still on the team. Thank God he is not. We can move forward and concentrate on winning.

Stephen66 likes this.
  15. raining threes

Do you think SP is need 1A and a bat is need 1B.

The Stros are playing with fire if the dont fill these needs at the deadline. I would love for Dana to add Flaherty, but would be happy with Sears. Adding a league avg to slightly above avg bat like Winker would be huge and lengthen the lineup to give the Stros a lineup that would be as good as any lineup in MLB, especially when Tucker gets back. The cost of Sears and Winker shouldn't be that high.

Houstunna likes this.
  16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Kirby pretty much dominated us in 2 starts this year. Need our best bats out there.

Qan and raining threes like this.
  17. Nick

Nick Member

They should try to upgrade everywhere. Would even include bullpen.

If I had to choose one, I go pitching.

The players coming from from the DL are notable: JV, Garcia, Tucker. No team is going to add players of this caliber via trade at the deadline, and the Astros will be doing so "for free". Not enough credit being given to the rest of the roster in their absence... those that put together this roster... and those managing this roster day-in/day-out.

Not enough credit also being given to whoever was most responsible for Blanco's amazing season... and Brown's turnaround.

18. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes

Two way different teams but we had Trey Mancini at first somehow grab that bouncing hot grounder in 2022 sort of how Howie sprays one to ding the foul pole…..ya gotta have a little luck on your side…..

Stephen66 likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Like I said a month ago, it's easy.

1 Bat
    1 Starter
    1 Reliever

mikol13 and raining threes like this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Strange that I've never asked...

But what do you do for a livin?

You've always been an incredibly smart guy