1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bronny James Signs 4 Year/$7.9 Million Rookie Deal With Lakers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr. Dominant, Jul 3, 2024.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So What's the story on that #2 pick?
    Just a bad game?

Rocket River

tinman likes this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

nope, lerbronny is just better.

roslolian and tinman like this.
  3. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

Still a bum in my book. Instead of working his way up for an actual contract he deserves, literally handed a multi year contract when other 2nd rounders/undrafted players are better than him. Could've been better if he stayed another year or two in college to prove that he belongs in the league but decided to get drafted this year because next year's draft is more stacked.

4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Yup, thenasis 2.0

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The Lakers FO was probably held at gun point by LeBron and Rich Paul to sign Bronny to that contract. No way any team would offer a second rounder a 4-year guaranteed contract before the guy has proven anything worth that money. Granted, the amount is minimal in NBA standard. But it just sends out a bad vibe how the league is run by powerful players and agents and be blatantly unfair.

jim1961 and clos4life like this.
  6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya thenasis has made 9 mil over the last 5 years even though he would struggle in the g league, now bronny gets that privilege.

clos4life likes this.
  7. leebigez

leebigez Member

Google is your friend. The last pick in the 2nd rd of 23 got a 4 yr guaranteed contract. I forgot his name, but he's with the bucks.

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

"Decided to get drafted this year?"

LeBron had to sign this year, either with the Lakers or some other team. If Bronny came out next year, there's no guarantee he would have been drafted, since the LeBron sweepstakes would have been over.

Bronny, whether it was LeBron's influence or Rich Paul's influence, HAD to strike while the iron was hot. Because I'd rather have an 8 million dollar contract over 4 years, than being undrafted and not getting a single cent, NEXT year.

As much as Bronny SHOULD be clowned on, this was the right move for himself. I would have done the exact same thing, if I was Bronny, and I guarantee that all his critics would have, as well.

clos4life likes this.
  9. leebigez

leebigez Member

Tell me about Sergio Lull and the other Euros who never come over, yet get drafted. No why some put their name in the draft? To get more money from club teams

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

I'd be riding daddy's coattails all the way to the bank, laughing at all the players not getting an NBA chance because of me, while I roll in my pile of dough.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This guy?
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bessohu01.html

Hugo Besson
    He was drafted by the Pacers and traded to the Bucks. I don't see him signed to a guaranteed contract. According the Wikipedia, he was signed to play in the summer league and later went back to play in Europe.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Besson

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  12. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

No need for the gunpoint. They had Kostas Antetokounmpo on the team for 3 years just hoping Giannis would ask for a trade. That guy makes Thanasis look like an MVP. It's just how the Lakers operate. Pelinka himself had no front office experience when he was given the job and was a nepotism hire.

Easy likes this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sorry, wrong guy.

Should be this one.
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/livinch01.html

The Milwaukee Bucks sign Chris Livingston to historic deal

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

He made 5.9 million on his NIL deal and around 15 million in total earnings so he was doing alright before his Lakers contract.

roslolian likes this.
  15. PeppermintCandy

roslolian and Easy like this.
  16. juicystream

juicystream Member

Good to see Bronny finally have a decent game. Crazy how he killed that shooting drill at the combine, but didn't shoot well at USC or in summer league where I think he's now 2-20 from 3.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Shooting when open and in real game are different things. Yeah he got help from daddy but at the same time 55th pick iin the weakest draft in the last 5 yrs isn't exactly the nepotiism people are making it out to be. Y'all act like every 50th pick is an all star.

18. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

Daddy can always sign a one year deal and still hold the Lakers hostage. At least if he waited a year, he would've been able to get another year of experience under his belt. Only downside is that he could be undrafted with next year's class but you know that won't happen as long as the Lakers can buy another 2nd round pick or just use their existing one.

19. juicystream

juicystream Member

I know it is very different, though that running around and shooting drill is supposed to help account for some of the difference. Makes me wonder if it is mental. He's under immense pressure. Being to son of one of the greatest players in history. Being worth getting drafted when many say you shouldn't have been. Being worth the contract that almost nobody else would get. Probably a lot of resentment from guys out there trying to get guaranteed contracts that know (or at least think) they are better than him.

I'm rooting for Bronny. I think he could easily have a Gary Payton II type of career.

roslolian likes this.
  20. juicystream

juicystream Member

LBJ did exactly that. His 2nd year is a player option. He has no reason to not have an option or opt out every season at this point. It will be so weird when he retires. Honestly feels like he could play forever as a 4.