1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets 2024-25 Win Prediction Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Jul 15, 2024.

?

How Many?

This poll will close on Oct 15, 2024 at 10:11 AM.
  1. 55+

2. 52-54

3. 50-51

4. 48-49

5. 46-47

6. 44-45

7. 42-43

8. 40-41

9. 36-39

10. <35

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Draftkings initially posted a 41.5 win total O/U yesterday, which seemed obviously too low to me.

Looks like the sharps agreed, it’s moved to 42.5 already. I anticipate it creeping up further.

Previous year net rating is the best predictor we have, and HOU was a 46 win expectancy team from net rating last year.

There are a whole bunch of reasons for improvement - just based on age curves and injury recovery we should expect improved play from 8/10 rotation spots, and regression at none.

The only argument for regression is opponent 3pt shooting success, where we were “lucky” last year. Still we weren’t a huge outlier there , and sometimes poor opponent 3pt shooting is not “luck” - teams with long athletic wings tend to consistently do well there, like BOS and NOP.

Meanwhile with all the talk of a Western Conference bloodbath, there are 4-5 teams above us that have clear regression reasons - LAL, GSW, PHX, LAC, DEN - and by my count 6 or 7 teams in the league that will likely hard tank at some point this season, more than last year.

freckleslol and OremLK like this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'll go 45 wins just because I always try to be lower-c conservative about these things. But given our net rating last season, additions, the likelihood of internal improvement from seven (7!!!) young promising players, I think there is some upside to get as high as 50+ and be this season's version of last season's Thunder team. That could happen either from a bunch of guys getting a little bit better and good injury luck, and/or 1-2 guys having major breakout seasons.

Stephen_A, No Worries and jim1961 like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Im hoping for a OKC type leap.

If there was a team to make that type of leap this season it's either us or the Magic.

Stephen_A and Mathloom like this.
  4. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I've gone for 48-49 but what the **** is this poll? Do real ranges instead of ranges of 2 which make no ****in sense, the way you've set this up is too granular so you won't get much of a good trend/impression from it at all. I'm actually in the 45-50 range, I think as long as we don't get injuries out the wazoo we should be a playoff team this year.

Stephen_A and fchowd0311 like this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

Interesting that Vegas has Houston at 41.5 wins. I think folks are underestimating how hard it’s gonna be to win in the west. I have us at 44-45 wins.

Stephen_A, Corrosion, saleem and 2 others like this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya mid 40s would be a great season. Fvv and alpi are good but we don’t have anyone who’s close to a top 10 player and you need that to get close to 50

8. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

and only spurs are projected to win less than the rockets. it is crazy.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is a basic baseline and positives and negatives that will impact it on the Win scale.

42 Wins is a decent starting number, if they go on a big run, 51 wins is not out of the question, if they suffer fatal injury blows then 38 Wins is not out of the question like last year when Stone refused to trade for a major piece at the deadline and it seemed the team was capsizing.

Nobody knew draft luck and the pick ending at 3rd.

The West is tough, at the same time opponents have injuries and tough slumps as well, it evens out.

#29 daywalker02, Jul 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2024
  10. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I think 45-37 is a good, not overly ambitious prediction for wins.

I'm not expecting a championship or a deep playoff run, just continued progress and hopefully some great play from our core players. Development isn't a marathon NOR is it a sprint--it's a ME, MARIO!

[​IMG]

OremLK, Stephen_A and saleem like this.
  11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

CF says 48

12. fattz

fattz Member

With our depth and new players taken we should get effective play from all positions, all season and coach trying to win; some will just get buried on the bench just because of math (playing time). This season is do or die for some, so I expect the season to be filled with media all the while the wins just keep coming in. Overall our players as a whole has been very passive till now that it’s payday. We seen team first but the team has not been forth coming with extensions. This maybe become a bigger show then what’s on the court. We are three deep across the depth chart with at least one potential star at each position. Not everyone is going to stay happy the math (cap space) isn’t there.

13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

the west do be crazy this year. 50 might be a tall task for any team.

14. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

I’m going 44-45 wins, a lot of it depends on which Jalen shows up if he does make a leap or not, Segun has had to improve his 3 point shot this offseason, and then of course factor in the strength of our schedule, and if we make a big trade or not. But I do think we improve from last year

Stephen_A and jim1961 like this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I predicted around 36 wins before last season began. Then after a good start, I quickly changed my expectation to 40 wins. 40 ended up pretty close.

I'm going to be conservative again this season and say 46 Ws. Hope the same will happen again.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

I don't think 46 is conservative. It's more of a reasonable prediction if there are no major set backs like a Alpi injury.

The Rockets were really unfortunate last season to miss the playoffs especially given that the Rockets broke a NBA record for most wins for a 11th seed. That just is unfortunate timing to make a leap as a franchise. This should have been a playoff team last seaaon for any other normal year.

Mathloom and Stephen_A like this.
  17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am assuming a relatively healthy core. Adding 5 wins to last season's squad is kind of conservative to me.

We added Adams and Sheppard. Tari is coming back. Landale looks like he is fully healthy now. All the young guys have one more year of experience under their belt. The only thing that will hold us back is injuries. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Stephen_A and fchowd0311 like this.
  18. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Honestly, I feel like, if you take out any player other than fvv from the roster, this team can still beat 40 wins.

Easy likes this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, we are pretty deep in terms of talents. We are actually worried about enough PT for everybody. Even if FVV goes down for a not-too-long stretch, there's a good chance that someone will step up.

The Rockets' concern going forward is not depth but identifying or acquiring the real cornerstones.

20. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

At least 10 wins.