1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Lakers - Vegas Summer League 7/12/2024

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 12, 2024.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The league average 3 point percentage for shooting guards last season was 37.1%....

When your guy had his 8 game hot streak, it was 100% due to him shooting 47% from 3 over those games.....

He shot 31.4% from 3 before the fluke streak and his play was dogshit, he shot 27% from 3 after the fluke hot streak and his play was dogshit....

So yeah, him learning how to shoot a basketball is REALLY important to him having a future in the NBA. If he can hit 38% from 3, he can be a star, if he keeps shooting 33-34% or lower, he's probably out of the league fairly soon.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I answered he doesn’t have to shoot 38% from three. I answered what I do believe he needs to do. I voted somewhat optimistic, because I think he will improve his shooting part of which is taking the right shots. Jalen has to be a threat to hit shots or he will not be able to drive and dish. I would rather he be the one kicking the ball out to Sheppard, but nba defenses will clog the passing lanes if Green can’t keep then honest. Can you answer this question does Jalen need to improve his shooting to be a star?

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

I missed the game action live but that was a good start to SL - I’m just learning about the returning players. Think Cam and Reed will continue to play good minutes?

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Eh Jalen needs to be more consistent as a shooter if he wants to make a leap as a star. But let's be frank. His inconsistent shooting is irrelevant to how defenses play him.

NBA defenses understand Jalen is a guy where if he sees one or two threes fall in he is capable of entirely blowing the game wide open by himself just from 3 alone. It's not a Amen or Sengun situation where they know these players are never capable of getting "hot" from the outside.

glimmertwins likes this.
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully he learns to shoot. A defensive only guy isn't great starter material. Honestly, that's a big negative, and another reason I see Reed as the guy I'd rather have take Fred's place.

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

His shooting has a great impact on how defenses play him. So does the team aground him. That was a silly defend Jalen at all costs take.

7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Cam had a high percentage because he shot incredibly well in a stretch of 20 games or so but cooled off considerably. He also had a 2pt% higher than Anthony Edwards.

I am not here to debate whether he is better than Green or not. He only played in 47 games and he shot poorly in almost half the season which was about the last 2 months. He didn’t show encouraging signs yesterday either.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

The dude has one of the worst high volume individual scoring efficiencies in the league while having one of the better impacts on team offensive efficiency on/off impact. There is a reason for this.

That isn't me saying he needs to be more efficient as a individual player.

NBA team defenses don't see Green as a non shooter. They see him as a streaky shooter who you shouldn't give confidence to in the middle of a game.

Yes in situations where defenders have to have a binary choice of chosing to go under or over a screen when Green is the ball handler in a pnr situation for example, they might chose going under because they fear his drive more than his shot but that isn't the same as Green being used as a off ball fulcrum for opposing defenses to play off of like they would with Amen for example.

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

Exactly. Our shooting guard can't shoot and it's a big fat problem. If Jalen can fix that it will be huge.

10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Teams don’t play him under. In the beginning of the season they usually go over the screens trailing him while the big defender plays drop. In the second half of the season they trapped him immediately as Sengun sets up the screen to prevent him from shooting or the dribble drive forcing him to pass.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If he can't fix it, he won't be SG anymore.

#931 Bobbythegreat, Jul 13, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2024
    leebigez and DaDakota like this.
  12. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

This was such a wonderful game to watch. Reed is Game 1 ready to fly in the NBA. Thank you Brooklyn for this future All Star.

13. Ancient Moabite

With Reed the Rockets may have found their euro/Albion version of Strickland with a deadly volume range, not saying he is as natural quick/shifty as Rod, but its tricky/deceptive or some may say crafty

Plus it surely helps to be able to use that hesitation especially when they fear your shot...... I've embarrassed plenty of defenders the same way, and worse (falling/banana peel slippage)

He is going to open up the floor for whoever during his minutes on his 3 rep alone

Stone may be pretty plain when it comes to free agency/trades in his early stint, but he has drafted some high level natural talented players who seem to be gym rat - hoopers, or at least giving off that vibe......and they seem to support each other on n off the hardwood

This season anthem is the old T.I. throwback.....big thangs poppin

leebigez, JumpMan and Aruba77 like this.
  14. T for 3

T for 3 Member

You might think it is disrespectful but it is true. Holiday isn't a priority. Re-signing him doesn't mean they want him to play. It means that want him as an insurance policy/locker room vet. If anyone goes down Holiday will play. If everyone is healthy he won't play.

Same story with Jeff Green. Re-signed as a locker room vet/insurance policy. If everyone is healthy he won't play.

Ancient Moabite and justinh like this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

Holiday’s defense is all effort with little substance. He was continually hunted on defense.

16. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Just watched the recap.. hot damn he was cooking!!
    I love it. Finally someone with real bball skills
    Passing, shooting, crossover, BBIQ, defense/anticipation

17. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Ohhhhh it’s the Rockets…..have a strong feeling we’ll be seeing plenty of Holiday and Grandpa Jeff this season. As for Reed Sheppard, it appears we now have literally two FVVs on the team. Same exact player. Great problem to have, but still a problem because you can’t start two players at the same position. Most teams don’t use a top three pick as a backup. Reed needs to start day one or else be used like he was at UK and average 28 minutes a game off the bench. Only way this works is for a big trade to be made where we give up more players than we receive.

18. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Most teams drafting in the top 3 aren’t very talented, and thus, roll their freshly drafted player out with starters because they have no other options. It’s also a plus that he is used to being a 6th man, as his talents and patience will do well coming behind others and learning.

Stephen_A likes this.
  19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

That is your opinion and that’s fine but what is your take based on? My take is simply based on Udoka’s past actions in terms of the roster, his philosophy, and what he said on record. Neither of us know how he will play Reed. All we know is Udoka prioritizes defense, which Shepherd isn’t good at. He rewarded Holliday with minutes and praises his defensive tenacity. And he did not play either Amen or Cam in major roles to start the season last year.

20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

This simply isn’t true. Can you explain or give ne instances of what you’re referring to?