1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hamas attacks Israel: Yom Kippur War, 50 years on

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Oct 7, 2023.

1. HTM

HTM Member

Completely specious argument that lacks any foundation at all. Completely pure supposition.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

What is your touch point with how war affects humans outside of Fox News and social media feeds?

3. HTM

HTM Member

You're not refuting anything I said.

Your service in the Marines, while commendable, does not give any sort of basis to claim the Soviet rape of Germany and Eastern Europe was solely due to German atrocities.

Your consistent insults of me do you no credit. I'll refrain from stooping to your level but try and do better or further discussions will be suspended.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Did British citizens have more than a decade experience in their homeland experiencing German invasions killing over a million of their civilian population?

Do you know what was happening between the USSR and Germany? Do you know what the German military did to Russian civilians in mass?

When I say you have empathy skills issues it's because you can't take it consideration these factors.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

And why do you lack so much self awareness?

What experiences do you have to be so confident in your claims of inherent superior cultures?

You can't even fathom basic concepts like the differences in how the British and Russians were effected by Prussian/German militarism

You want to insult others but can't handle it yourself? Why are you like this?

6. HTM

HTM Member

Indeed I know this history very well. Perhaps better then you but I don't know that for a fact so I won't presuppose.

When assessing Soviet conduct in 1944/1945 I also look at the history of Russia and it's culture more broadly. I see a cultural of extreme brutality and barbarism. I see the culture of the Holdormor where Soviet officials at all levels let 3-5 million Ukrainians starve to death without much consideration, indeed, accusing those starving to death of doing so to spite the Soviet cause. Remarkable. I see the Soviet murder of 800k-1.5 million or innocent people in purges orchestrated by the paranoid mind of its leaders. I see ethnic cleansings and displacements. I see a gulag system.

I understand Soviet barbarity well and I don't chalk up their barbarity in Germany and Eastern Europe at the end of the WW2 simply to vengeance - and, it should be noted, many of the victims of this Soviet barbarity at the end of WW2 had absolutely nothing to do with any type of aggression towards the Soviet Union.

7. HTM

HTM Member

Have I insulted someone?

8. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

There’s the problem with sacred land
    Which is part of the ideology

Mexico doesn’t want California back from America

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Someone should tell the Egyptians that walls are not an effective means to fight illegal border crossings.

tinman likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

You really don't understand this well if you think the interactions of the average British and American civilian on their home soil with German troops is anywhere near the same experiences the average Russian civilian experienced against Prussian and German military expansion.

To think those sentiments can't be handed down through stories and lore or just observation shows a deficit in basic empathy skills on your part.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Ya? In fact you insult millions of humans at once, humans you've never met, with your accusations of cultural superiority.

Do some basic empathy exercises bro.

You say no one is born inherently evil but then wax lyrical about Russian evil culture but never move past the "why" or how hence why on your part the implication would be an inherent superiority based in where you were born and what bloodline you were born into rather than being a product of environmental and ecomimic forces.

See, you can easily dispell my accusation that the implication of your rhetoric is that of inherent racial/cultural superiority if you simply showed the most basic ounce of intellectual curiosity on how Russians become Russian and how they became who you perceived them to be like mass rape practices. Can you say something about this that isn't merely just inherent superiority of cultures? Do you see why I think this is the end result of your rhetoric? If you simply explained how Russians got to this place then it would be believable that you are sincere about there is no inherent superiority based on where you were born and what race/ethnicity you were born into. But you just stop at "Russians like rape more". So ya dude you are implying an inherent value to where you were born and what bloodline you were born into having an inherent moral character attached to it.

#11391 fchowd0311, Jul 9, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2024
  12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The mistake you make is that you make it seem like everything the Russians did was "just a reaction".

But that's not true. The Soviets had their very own history of atrocities.

It's the same false narrative that paints all the atrocities Islamists commit as "a reaction". Nah.

13. HTM

HTM Member

I'm not and I reject that assertion. But thanks for trying to tell me what I'm saying because, as always, you prefer to insert what you want someone to have said rather than deal with what they have actually said.

It's clear to most people that sometimes different societies/group of peoples/cultures have different standards of conduct.

No serious people argue the Soviets course of conduct in WW2 was the same as the the British/Americans writ large. No serious people argue that the Japanese course of conduct in WW2 was the same as the British/Americans writ large.

What is your assertion? All of these armies course of conduct was the exact same? That's absurd.

Does German crimes on the soil of the Soviet Union explain Japanese mass rape in WW2?

Why does Latin America have a particular problem with domestic violence? Why does India have a problem with rape?

What is your assertion? These problems exist in those countries just as much as they do in the United States? Get a grip.

Because it's obvious to everyone else certain cultures/countries/groups of people have different problems regarding conduct.

tinman likes this.
  14. HTM

HTM Member

Some cultures have problems that other cultures don't have or don't have in the same degree or way. That's just a reality.

No rationale person denies the conduct of the Japanese in WW2 was worse then the Western allies.

No rationale person denies the conduct of the Soviet troops in WW2 was worse then the Western allies.

No rationale person denies Latin America has a particular problem with Domestic violence more so then other areas of the world.

No rationale person denies India has a particular problem with rape.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

So why are you offended when I say the implication of your rhetoric is that yes there is an inherent moral inferiority or superiority based on what location and ethnicity you were born into.

You want your cake and want to eat it. You want to say you don't believe races of humans aren't inherently inferior but want taya say races of humans can have inherently inferior or superior cultures.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Why were Soviet troops worse than western allies in he treatment of German troops?

Was it because Russians are inherently more evil based on some genetic predisposition?

17. Nook

Nook Member

Yes and no - we saw how the US military servicemen reacted to the Japanese. They collected war trophies. The President of the USA was even given a letter opener made from the bone of a Japanese soldier. The official protocol of the US government was not to be abusive, but the reality is that there were seldom any prosecutions for the behavior. The USA opened internment camps for Japanese Americans and the media completely dehumanized the Japanese.

Then we have the fall out from 911.

To be clear, I am not saying that the Russians/Soviets are choir boys. What I am saying is that over a long enough period of time, virtually every culture and nation ends up spending time committing terrible atrocities - that it is a human thing, not a cultural one or a racial one.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Is a short or isolated period of time? Sure, over a longer period of time - no.

Western allies is rather specific.... what about the Soviet Union, were the Japanese worse than the Soviets?

Yes - the Soviet Union was invaded and lost more civilians than anyone else in WWII - I am not shocked that the Russians were more abusive than the USA.

This is a new one for me -

I know that there is a lot of femicide in Mexico and the parts of Africa.

Men have a serious problem with rape - regardless of where... but even if India has a rape issue, it isn't inherently because they are Indian.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  19. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly saying well Florida has crime when you have a thread about California is what these people do
    Avoid the topic

you can actually point to any society in any time period and find problems

Palestinians and Jews hate each other here too
    But they aren’t digging tunnels and shooting rockets at each other

they have to worry about illegals and thugs trying to rob them
    Plus to the other cultures they are in the same boat

At least the Jews and Palestinians can watch the rockets or eat James hardens restaurant or eat fried chicken at frenchys
    Without incident here
    Cause Houston land ain’t sacred

Wars are fought for land and resources

@Salvy

Salvy likes this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Yeah, while the relative restraint of American GIs is noteworthy, it's not like Americans don't have their marks against rape and genocide.

Sally Hemmings was whiter than Haley Berry. There aren't any existing portraits of her or fellow octoroon Homer Plessy, who argued for his black ancestry in Plessy v Ferguson, for good reason...or bad reason.

I mean, teaching all that stuff makes the white kids sad and their parents angrier, but casting stones at glass houses eventually comes into the picture.

Also of note, if I read about what the Japanese Red Army did in WW2 without knowing anything about Japanese society today, I'd imagine they'd end up savage genocidal rapist monsters needing even more...enlightenment.

The same samurai code and Shinto identity in a different era...

Nook likes this.