1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Biden bows out, what is the Dem ticket?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rileydog, Jun 28, 2024.

1. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

it me.
    IMG_4496.jpeg

tinman likes this.
  2. HTM

HTM Member

I imagine the strength of the abortion argument diminishes the further we get away from Dobbs and doesn't drive voters like it did in the elections immediately after it.

Space Ghost and basso like this.
  3. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

given what we now know, can Biden remain president, much less a candidate?

4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yes

5. HTM

HTM Member

I've noticed the Democratic strategy from folks going on TV is to just deflect to Trump, "Why are we talking about Biden, we should be talking about Trump" - basically - "look over here" - don't address the topic at hand - Biden's cognitive abilities.

Biden could be floating face down in a pool and they'd say the same things. "Yea, maybe he's dead, but why are we focusing on that? We should be focusing on Trump"

AXG and basso like this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

To be fair that has been the republican strategy about Trump since 2015

ROCKSS and JayGoogle like this.
  7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I'll admit I always believed the story about her and Willie Brown but I will do my due dillengence tonight and research her rise. Sometimes I just believe the stuff I hear on the radio and that may be a bad habit.

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

She was involved with Brown. That part wasn't dishonest. What was dishonest is the story that is the reason she got her positions.

She had already achieved success and at the time of her big move she was not even really below Brown.

9. HTM

HTM Member

You mean Democratic strategy I assume?

When I’ve been hearing the Democrats on TV say, “Why aren’t we talking about Trump” - Im thinking … has Trump not been given adequate attention the last 8 years? Like… c’mon.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think men won't care, but women absolutely will.

This will be a boogey man for the GOP until they make some compromise bill or the decision is overturned (which is not likely with the makeup of the court).

I think yes, many people won't care about it, that's men. I don't think there are many men that will vote with this on their mind, but absolutely there are many women that must consider this.

You've seen in states where it has affected local elections, where it's just been purely on the ballot, there will always unfortunately be horror stories of minors getting pregnant or women who are forced to carry out a pregnancy that might harm them or something like that too. It's always going to be an issue moving forward.

The GOP made things worse by not signing those bills that would have protected IVF and Contraception.

ROCKSS and rocketsjudoka like this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think people will simply not trust the GOP as a whole on the issue and it will haunt the party until they reverse course on it. The party has not. It not being on the platform is because they know its unpopular but they can't say they are content with it just being up to the states because after all, the entire argument is that life begins at conception. That's the entire argument.

Just like people don't trust Dems on immigration, no one that is pro-life will put their faith that the GOP will leave reproductive rights alone.

ROCKSS, FranchiseBlade and Andre0087 like this.
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

From the perspective of a man, yes, I'm sure it seems inconsequential to you.

But from the perspective of a woman, something is forever denied to you, that's not going away. The idea that if you get pregnant in certain states you must carry that baby to term even if your life is at risk is not something that's just going to go away. It's a life or death situation and the opposing party is never going to let it just go away. They are going to bang that drum every election cycle because its an easy win for them and then you will always have fresh stories about how a woman denied proper care was harmed because of Roe being overturned.

That's not going to end. That's always relevant to half of the population because half of the population has a womb and has to think about things like that. I never had. I've never had to think about the dangers of pregnancy and the harm that can be done to my body through the process because I don't have a womb. I've never had to think about it once. Women do.

I think you also downplay that pro-lifers are not done. They don't want to stop at states rights, never wanted to stop at states rights, they want contraception gone, they want a national ban.

ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. HTM

HTM Member

Thanks for the grandstanding/self-righteous essay grandfather.

I think it’s common sense that a major change to the status quo will electrify voters in the near term but as time marches on that change is less electrifying.

And spare me the notion you posit that all women are pro-choice. It’s not even close to accurate.

The pro-life movement is in large part driven by women.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The notion that major change will just be forgotten over time is ignorant of all history on any issue, especially on this particular issue. I think its incredibly naive of you to think that people will just forget about it over time, as if that's how politics work, that people just forget a stance over time, especially one as important as bodily rights.

The rest of your post is a fantasy. I never said ALL women are pro-choice, most are. Most of the country is firmly pro-choice. To pretend otherwise or to twist it into something else, that's just fooling yourself.

The last point is irrelevant since I could counter by saying...the pro-choice movement is in large part driven by women...and the majority of women are pro-choice. You're trying to talk yourself into some fantasy scenario where people will eventually come to see things your antiquated way of thinking that women should just keep their legs closed if they don't want babies (yes, I remember our last convo on this lol) but that isn't going to happen. Just because there's women that are pro-life that doesn't mean anything to me. There were black people that supported slavery. There are always people on the wrong side of history even when they are on the side of being victims.

People don't forget, the other party is there to make sure people remember, and always remember the pendulum always swings back. One day you're celebrating Brexit and the next day you realize its the downfall of your party, because people don't forget. Not on issues as big as bodily rights.

I should clarify, since this is factually just a losing issue, that it might just go away on the basis that it continues to get on the ballot in elections and pro-choice wins, even in deep red states lol. It's not just a losing issue, it's a defeated issue.

Dobbs, in the end, was just pro-lifers running it back with the same mediocre team hoping for new results but as the season goes on we will all see that the results will be the same.

There's your essay.

#314 JayGoogle, Jul 5, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2024
    ROCKSS, FranchiseBlade and Andre0087 like this.
  15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

No. Republicans basically turned "what about X" into an art form during Trump's rise to power.

Now with Biden's age related issues the shoe is on the other foot and Democrats are having to run the same playbook.

ROCKSS and GOATuve like this.
  16. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

That depends on what laws the states pass. The more restrictive state laws get passed this issue will remain strong.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Also as time passed after Roe it wasn’t like the issue died but as we saw decades after Roe it was an energizing factor the right. Dobbs has the potential to be the same for the Left.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

If Kamala takes the top of the ticket, I think you'll see a push for a steady hand of a popular Senator to step in as VP. I don't think you'll see someone from the cabinet. I'm looking at Senators like Chris Murphy from Connecticut, Amy Klobuchar, or Corey Booker. Gretchen Whitmer would also be a popular choice if she would be interested.

ROCKSS likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I would prefer to see Whitmer or Klobuchar at the top of the ticket with Harris remaining VP. I doubt Harris would accept being the understudy again.