1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The question of trump immunity

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Dec 24, 2023.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I think
    I’ve criticized Biden more than I’ve seen you criticize Trump.

ROCKSS and B-Bob like this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Kevin Roberts seems forget about Jan 6.. I’m sure those LEO defending the Capitol felt it was bloodless.

ROCKSS and B-Bob like this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Says the guy who is rejoicing, and trying to troll for sport over the President now being given the powers of a dictator.

If you are serious, and not just trolling you are a complete moron. One of the dumbest takes I've seen on here, and that's saying alot.

No Worries likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

He is just waiting to stop attacking Biden and replace [Biden] attacks with attacks on [Harris}, [Whitmer], [Newsom], [Booker], [Buttigieg], etc. Since we all know he is a trump supporter despite all his claims otherwise.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Member
    Supporting Member

Much like the current Supreme Court, basso is likely to defend any outcome as long as it is favorable to the modern GOP. His "centrist" persona now belies decades of posts on this BBS.

ROCKSS likes this.
  7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Member
    Supporting Member

Take a look at the faces of the Heritage Foundation under staff, directors, experts, trustees, interns etc...

White Supremacy

https://www.heritage.org/about-heritage/mission

No Worries likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

12. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

unlike you, I won't be voting for either of them, so I feel no need to be equitable in my criticism.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  13. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

don't know enough about Whitmer to have an opinion. I wouldn't vote for any of the others you listed.

I'd probably support Shapiro, if he were the nominee.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

I guess we all should ignore your years of (1) only posting positively about republicans and criticizing Democrats and (2) defending trump and attacking Biden.

[​IMG]

ROCKSS likes this.
  15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

Why am I shocked that you wouldn't support *any* of the likely replacements, regardless of how different they are from Joe Biden.

I'd easily vote for a republican over trump.

ROCKSS likes this.
  16. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.wsj.com/articles/suprem...-biden-chuck-schumer-sonia-sotomayor-7ea655b3

The ‘MAGA Supreme Court’ Doesn’t Exist
    Democrats are fuming, but look at the record of the cases this term.

The Editorial BoardJuly 2, 2024 at 6:03 pm

Chuck Schumer was even less nuanced. “This disgraceful decision by the MAGA Supreme Court—which is comprised of three justices appointed by Mr. Trump himself—enables the former President to weaken our democracy by breaking the law,” the Democratic Senate leader said. Messrs. Biden and Schumer are echoing Justice Sonia Sotomayor’s doomsday dissent in the immunity case, Trump v. U.S., but it’s a caricature of the ruling and the Supreme Court.

As the Justices go into their summer break, the scholars at the Empirical Scotus blog have crunched the statistics for the 2023 term: 45.8% of cases were unanimous, down slightly from 2022, but higher than in 2021 (26.4%) and in all of the three years before that. The perception is that boring, minor cases get unanimous rulings, but not always, and not this year.

Nine Justices agreed that Colorado can’t remove Donald Trump’s name from its ballot as an “insurrectionist” under the 14th Amendment (Trump v. Anderson).

Nine Justices agreed that pro-life doctors lack standing to sue the Food and Drug Administration over the abortion pill mifepristone (FDA v. Alliance for Hippocratic Medicine).

Nine Justices agreed that the National Rifle Association can sue a New York regulator for coercing insurers to stop doing business with gun-rights groups (NRA v. Vullo).

The list goes on. There were 22 cases decided 6-3 this term, but only half produced outright ideological splits, with six conservative Justices in the majority and three liberals in dissent. The other 11 rulings were at least somewhat scrambled, sometimes in significant cases.

Six Justices rejected a claim that the federal government had unconstitutionally pressured social-media websites to delete user posts, particularly on Covid-19 (Murthy v. Missouri). Justice Amy Coney Barrett wrote for a majority of three conservatives plus three liberals, while Justice Samuel Alito filed the dissent.

Six Justices said prosecutors had stretched the law in charging Jan. 6 rioters with obstructing Congress (Fischer v. U.S.). That majority included Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson, and the dissent this time was by Justice Barrett.

The 7-2 and 8-1 outcomes are also hard to interpret through a political lens. Justice Clarence Thomas wrote an opinion to uphold the funding scheme for the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB v. Community Financial Services Assn.). Who had that on their bingo card?

A cross-bench majority in a tax case (Moore v. U.S.) refused to close the constitutional door to a wealth tax. Eight Justices said the Second Amendment permits the government to disarm an alleged domestic abuser via a civil restraining order (U.S. v. Rahimi). Justice Thomas vigorously dissented in both of those cases.

Today’s Supreme Court takes a textualist and originalist view of legal questions, but it’s no MAGA court. This term the reversal rate for the conservative Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, not double counting cases consolidated for argument, was 67%. That’s higher than the rate for the notoriously progressive Ninth Circuit. If Republican lawmakers imagine these Justices are ready to fulfill their wildest constitutional dreams, they are courting disappointment.

As for Presidential immunity on core executive functions, the Supreme Court is enforcing the constitutional separation of powers. The amazing thing is that Democrats are so surprised. They unleash history’s first prosecution of a former President, they’re astonished when it turns up novel legal issues, and then they’re outraged when the Justices consider the matter in light of the Constitution.

Who should they blame instead? Well, special counsel Jack Smith could have declined to file a Jan. 6 indictment. Or he could have written it narrowly to exclude clearly official conduct, such as Mr. Trump’s consultations with his Justice Department. But Mr. Smith didn’t do modesty. Neither did the appeals panel at the D.C. Circuit, which ruled in sweeping fashion that Presidents have no immunity whatsoever. The Justices almost had to take the case.

Democrats denounce the Supreme Court for making the Presidency too powerful, while they also denounce the Justices for stopping Mr. Biden’s unilateral regulatory actions, including his effort to forgive $430 billion of student loans without Congress. Who really thinks he’s king? The Justices are keeping each branch in its constitutional lane, and those decisions will apply to President Trump, if he wins, the same as they do to President Biden.

Journal Editorial Report: Several decisions reduced bureaucratic power. Photo: Valerie Plesch/Bloomberg News

Astrodome and Os Trigonum like this.
  17. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

I'd vote for a republican over trump as well.

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

Remember that thought when in the privacy of the voting booth you vote for a third time for trump.

ROCKSS likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Member
    Supporting Member

that's like NERF calling Thomas a maga justice. Thomas has been on the Court since 1991

Salvy and basso like this.
  20. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

why does NERF hate strong black men?

Salvy likes this.