1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Biden bows out, what is the Dem ticket?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rileydog, Jun 28, 2024 at 8:43 AM.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Let us assume Biden withdraws. (Discuss whether he should or will elsewhere). I would like a focused discussion on the short list of candidates to replace him in a brokered convention: who are the candidates, their qualifications and candidacy versus Trump, and the likelihood that they would be the Dem choice. From the articles I have read thus far, I have seen three names most prominently: Gavin Newsome, Kamala Harris and Gretchen Whitmer.

Harris: IMO, among the three, she has the lowest chance of beating Trump.

Newsome: problematic for a white male to be the choice when Harris was VP. Based on newsome’s interviews on Hannity’s show, He would murder Trump in a debate and I would guess Trump would refuse to debate him.

Whitmer: which leaves Whitmer. She could be sold as the first female president. From a key swing state. Perhaps put Warnock or another diverse VP choice.

My priority is electability and keeping Trump out of office.

[Republicans and MAGA can come here and post memes and dunk on these people and Biden if they want. Maybe they’ll post something useful. Or commodore will post false tweets. I dont care. IMO, Biden’s candidacy died last night. The only question is whether he, Jill and family know it.)

edit: @Commodore @Salvy @CrixusTheUndefeatedGaul @basso @AroundTheWorld @basso - sorry if I pinged the wrong MAGA reps for this question, or failed to ping others, but I think some of you believe this was a set up, and Biden was going to be replaced all along. I would like to know the rest of the theory … who is the intended replacement? That is very much in line with the point of this thread, albeit from a different angle)

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Whitmer seems like the most reasonable choice given the short time frame the DNC is working with.

3. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Well, apparently Trump has electability, so maybe we should put up Richard Bey. He's only 72.

B-Bob likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

5. CrixusTheUndefeatedGaul

Supporting Member

Whitmer is easy on the eyes but will be a disaster for us again. Dems have a problem of their own making and will not recover politically from this for years to come. Once you lied to the American public like this, no one else will support you.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the last good day to be a Democrat was Election Day 2008. It's been a steady slide ever since.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Whitmer looks like the best choice, but the issue will be the differing states & delegate distribution. There really needs to be a united front, and I think with this quick turnaround it might have to Kamala.

I do think there are better candidates, and better speakers for sure with more known principles. However she has a pretty high floor IMO which could easily bring back the Biden coalition from 2020, and at the same time maybe even help with the swing state metro areas if the African American vote can rally around her.

Yes MAGA people hate her because... check mark, check mark, etc, etc. but they are going to hate anyone that isn't Trump. The Dems could nominate a Republican that voted with Trump on every bill, and he still wouldn't be pure MAGA enough for them to not hate.

So I'm fine if the ticket has to roll over to Kamala because of the way the delegate process works, but I do not think she's the strongest candidate although I think she'll have a better shot of beating Trump now than Biden now at this point.

Rileydog likes this.
  8. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

How’s Jimmy Carter these days?

9. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Kamala?!?!

[​IMG]

10. fchowd0311

You say this while the GOP went from candidates like McCain and Romney, people I vehemently disagree with in many areas but are still rational actors....

To Trump.

One thing I've learned about conservative old white dudes.... Charisma is the most important factor they care about when judging competence

FrontRunner and dobro1229 like this.
  11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Without a primary, and having delegates already committed it makes it tricky for it not to be the VP. But yeah she's not the best candidate for sure. However her floor is higher than most think.

Again, not my endorsement, but it's likely to be what happens IF.. and that's still a big IF... Biden drops out for health reasons.

Rileydog likes this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Michelle Obama, since retired general without public baggage, uhh John Kerry seems harmless maybe too harmless...

Celebrity candidates where they'd definitely win but would give up their own good life...Oprah, the Rock, John Stewart

DaDakota likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

John Stewart would be the only "celebrity" I'd want touching the oval office.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

no, I say this because I have been a LIFELONG DEMOCRAT who was once proud to be a Democrat, and am now mostly ashamed of the Democratic Party, a party I no longer recognize. Folks here may continue to assume I'm a Republican or MAGA or whatever else people here think they know about me, but the honest truth is I think the Democratic Party is an absolute disgrace, and it has been that way since about halfway through Obama's second term. The Democratic Party no longer embraces moderate or conservative Democrats--that's what I am. I suppose that comes with age and perhaps is even inevitable. But the Democratic Party went off the rails a dozen or so years ago and it has seriously never recovered.

actually, let me correct one thing. I am not "mostly" ashamed of the Democratic Party; I am totally ashamed of the Democratic Party. Arrogance got the Democrats here, and I don't see them fixing that problem in the next 40 days.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Why not an even older candidate? Bernie Sanders

I'd feel so bad about anybody's chances this late in the game that I don't know it matters. Michelle Obama was the one person I felt could energize the base.

16. fchowd0311

Buddy you advocate for abject libertarian policies. Your views on education are diametrically opposed to any policy positions coming out of the DNC in the past multiple decades.

How can you call yourself a former Democrat voter with a straight face. You are the resident libertarian(there are some others here but they are far more unhinged). Mitt Romney is a significantly closer representation of your views than Obama so don't give me the "I was saying Democrat before Biden" bs.

Nothing about the establishment Democrat has changed politically in terms of policy positions. I don't know what "change" you are referring to outside of competence of choosing a cognitively functioning human to head the party.

17. fchowd0311

I doubt she wants to run... Which ironically would make her a good candidate.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

What on earth happened last night? (n/m, don't tell me—I'll read the transcript later).

If Biden drops out now, it would cause a chaotic scramble, but considering Trump is on the other side, it might still be ok. But, if history and logistics are any indication, the Democratic ticket is in serious trouble.

ROCKSS and Rileydog like this.
  20. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Under the theory that the debate was a setup to replace Biden, who is the intended nominee?

You posted that last night was a setup and part of an overall scheme, right?