1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Hypothetical Astros Trades Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 23, 2024.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Guerrero is the most Crane-esque trade target likely to be available. Huge name, great fit, some upside left. I’d give up 2 Org Top 10 prospects for him.

Nook, BMoney, astros123 and 2 others like this.
  2. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

He is not worth it and we do not need him. We are good this year, what we need are prospects that will be playing long after Guerrero is done.

3. Radricky

Radricky Member

4. Radricky

Radricky Member

Count me in the camp that likes splashes.
    I also think we need another proven bat.
    We’ve all seen how cold the Astros can get.

astros123, IowaAstro and Snake Diggit like this.
  5. Radricky

Radricky Member

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Meyers Whitley and Leon for Vlad Jr.
    everyone would say that package is **** for the BJ’s. There would be more war headed out than in I bet at the end of the day.

Radricky likes this.
  7. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

I think that’s a fair (or maybe too much) on our end but probably not enough for Toronto to make that trade. Hate to trade Spaghetti after his outing today but I also know it was against the Rockies.

astros123 and conquistador#11 like this.
  8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

If you are looking ON FIELD maybe that trade is fair because prospects are just prospects and not proven until they are.

But if you look at projected WAR, salary, and things like that it's a steal for Toronto but still not enough.

I still think the Astros get outbid.

It's very similar to what the Astros would ask for Tucker.

9. raining threes

He can also play 3B if Bregs isn't brought back.

BMoney, astros123 and conquistador#11 like this.
  10. raining threes

The future is now, you dont believe in Dana's ability to restock the farm?

Say Dana traded Melton/Ullola/Gordon/Corona, you dont think those guys couldn't be easily replaced?

astros123 and everyday eddie like this.
  11. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I do not believe Guerrero helps us. Melton/Ullola/Gordon/Corona don't get him anyway. We just got rid of the last 1st baseman that was going to put us over the top. The last thing we need is another overpriced ******* that adds nothing. Or less.

12. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

13. raining threes

I cant see how you think a guy like Vlad Jr. who will probably end up hitting .280-.290 with 30 homers wouldn't help the team. We're not talking about an over the hill guy like Abreu. Put him in the 4 spot and let's roll.

14. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Have you learned nothing from this season? We are better off without him.

15. raining threes

What should I have learned?

.290 with 30 hrs makes the offense elite and he's not a rental. Plus Crane will have the money to re-sign him if Bregs walks. If not the money will be there if Tucker walks. Win-Win, what's not to like, do you think he's going to fall off of a cliff like Abreu or do you not trust Dana to keep adding talent to farm system?

16. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

It's another all your eggs in one basket move. He could fall off a cliff, he could be disruptive to the clubhouse, he get injured and spend the next season and a half recovering from surgery. I would prefer to move forward with our best in house option and keep my best prospects that will surely be lost in such a trade. None of the weak packages that have been suggested here are gonna get this done. If this team is so bad that it can not win without him, (it's not) then they have no business expecting a shot at the playoffs.

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The majority of prospects don't work out.

The Astros don't have the luxury of trying the young guys out. They need a proven slugger who can sit 4th or 5th in the lineup and be another .800+ guy.

They need somebody like Vlad but cheaper.

I like the prospects but they need to compliment the middle of the order, not be a part of it.

18. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

The strong desire for a proven slugger is what got us into this mess in the first place. We went out and overpaid for a "proven" first baseman. We are playing 30 games a year better without him while playing Jon Singleton at first and without Tucker in the outfield. That says to me that his performance at the plate was not the only problem or even the worst problem signing him created.

19. Buck Turgidson

No he can not.

astros123 likes this.
  20. raining threes

What makes you think he will get hurt or be disruptive?

It's far from an all eggs in one basket. He's under contract for one more year after this year. Let me ask you this, are you against trading prospects in general or just Vlad? I know you're big into the farm system. But except for a very few, I look at prospects to be fungible and there sole reason for existence is to augment the MLB club. Most of the time they're trade material to help fill holes in the team. Exceptions would be guys like Bregs, Tucker. There currently isn't a Bregs, Tucker in the farm system, so I'm not against trading prospects at this time.