1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets going for Durant

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Jun 25, 2024.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If we were to "only" trade Green/Brooks and some future pick for Durant...I'd be ok with it. Probably still not my preference.

upload_2024-6-26_10-38-55.png

jch1911, kspires999, Holybats and 2 others like this.
  2. PhiSlammaJamma

We got a lucky hand at the blackjack table with the Nets and decided to split it for the potential of an even bigger jackpot. It's a risky bet.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Stone got Sengun as the result of three trades.
    Stone got the Whitmore pick as a result of multiple trades.
    Stone got the pick that became Tari, the No. 3 pick, the picks that were too good to trade for 2 swaps and 2 picks, and the 2027 Nets pick in a trade for a guy that would be a free agent by now. Also, the pick that became Jalen Green probably got conveyed to OKC without this trade. If memory serves, the Rockets had 2 FRPs that would likely be Rockets picks through the 2024 draft when he became GM.
    Stone got Steven Adams as part of a trade with only losing SRPs that I think he acquired in trades.

I'm not a fan of this trade as I value the quality more than the quantity, but complaining about assets acquired via a trade were too good to be traded is not evidence of him being bad at trades. Pardon to DaDakota, but extending KPJ is still likely the worse move Stone has made as a GM by a good margin.

#103 Joe Joe, Jun 26, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2024
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think signing Theis is the worst lol.
    It gets tiring correcting clueless people honestly. Most people still think Stone just tanked and kept drafting high lottos not realizing we have 7 studs in only 3 yrs.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

That's a great way to summarize/visualize what happened.

cml750 likes this.
  6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Just heard on 97.5 ESPN, the Rockets are looking at either picking Clingan in the draft or trading with Charlotte to get Mark Williams.

If it happens, they will in turn trade Sengun and Phoenix picks for KD

vince likes this.
  7. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

There's little to no reason for the Suns to give up on the team they went all in to get after just one season of it together. If we're going after KD or Booker it won't happen this off-season.

The earliest we could get KD would be at the trade deadline this season if things went really poorly for the Suns and they were looking at missing the playoffs. But more likely than that is if they flame out and don't make it past the first round and next off-season they decide this core isn't going to win anything. Specially if KD is indicating leaving after his contract. Then it's possible you can get him and it's probably at a discount as he'd be 37 with one year remaining, plus we'd have the cap room to send back minimal salaries giving Phoenix a lot of luxury tax relief

Though I think even in that scenario, the Rockets stay patient and only take KD if it's at a huge discount and otherwise keep their eyes on Booker instead

jim1961 likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd see it the other way. He got lucky at black jack, pocketed 75% of his winnings, and instead of playing 2 more hands with 12.5% of his winnings each, he's doing the less risky (in terms of getting nothing) playing 4 hands with 6.25% of his winnings each.

I'd go the risky route as winning big bets is more important than reducing risk in terms of the NBA.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think most people here have an inflated sense of the studs on this roster. Not to say there aren't good players we have drafted, but the context for who is/isn't a stud is distorted on a team that improved by 19 games and STILL didn't get over .500%.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  10. cdastros

cdastros Member

11. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...is Windy really an insider anymore? I know he had legit Akron connections to Lebron's crew early in his career but as I understand it, he leaked information he wasn't supposed to and has fallen out of favor with those connections in recent years.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

We lost two of our best guys to injury take the 2 best players out of any contender what you think their record is gonna be?

The Rox are the second youngest team in the league they have a literal bunch of 21 yr olds and younger if they werent studs they wont be 0.500 in a very competitive Western conf.

cml750 likes this.
  13. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

He has some connections but they aren't Rockets connections and he's one of those types that will speculate out loud without insider information. Literally everything he has said about the Rockets today is pure speculation that is not based on anything real from the Rockets organization.

roslolian and glimmertwins like this.
  14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...the timing and news cycle about this all seems very planned. It feels like some games are being played.

htownrox1 likes this.
  15. cml750

cml750 Member

That would be a beyond stupid mistake.

16. j@amc

j@amc Member

I think Houston can offer Phoenix more for Booker. HIs fit next to Bradley Beal isn't great.

I'm reluctant to part with Sengun. I'd rather give them Green and Clingan Or FVV and Green and keep #3.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I agree with you that that's what I would also prefer.

18. MystikArkitect

Rockets are going star hunting! Behold, the star:

[​IMG]

glimmertwins and JumpMan like this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Rockets only got 85 games from Sengun, Tari, and Adams last year combined. While the Rockets may be light on the stars at the top end, they are incredibly deep and should be well above 0.500 with just better health next season. I'm expecting improvement from Cam, Amen, Jabari, and Tari with a little from Sengun and Green. The Rockets biggest weakness is just having that bucket getter.

roslolian likes this.
  20. TheSource

TheSource Member

Ime might get what he wants