1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 6, 2023.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Leandro Morgado and Frailin Yan hit their first career home runs (both solo) in the DSL Orange team's 6-2 loss to the Dodgers' Mega team.

Morgado, a 17-year-old OF from Venezuela, is currently the youngest position player in the organization. He signed in February, after the current IFA period opened. Yan, a 20-year-old OF from the Dominican, was one of the last signings the Astros made during the previous IFA signing period as he signed in December.

2. Rockets34Legend

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Nehomar Ochoa hit his 5th homer for Fayetteville.

AznH-TownFan, Zen Tabak, Nook and 4 others like this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It’s probably time to start taking Shay Whitcomb seriously as a prospect. His ops since May 1 is over 1000 and he’s been one of the 10 best qualified hitters in all of AAA this season. I’m surprised he hasn’t gotten more time at 3B. As well as he’s playing, he’s a viable potential solution to replacing Bregman next season.

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

6. juicystream

juicystream Member

Not if he can't play 3b well enough. Though his numbers at 3B are very good this season, while they were terrible in the past. I forgot how little Bregman played at 3B in the minors, but it was only 23 games.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

#1587 Snake Diggit, Jun 25, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
    No Worries likes this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Ryan Gusto seems to have figured something out in AAA. He threw 7 scoreless tonight and has a 1.57 era in his 4 June starts with 20 k and 4 bb.

9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Well, uh... Cam Fisher went 0-5 with a golden sombrero in the FCL game last night.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

He the next man up for the couple starts we need someone else coming down the stretch into the all star break you think? or they spot start Martinez? Or someone else?

11. Buck Turgidson

Announced his presence with the wrong kind of authority

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Who knows. They have been pretty unpredictable about who they have called up when they’re short handed. I think Martinez has something wrong with him so I’d be surprised if they used him as an opener. Gusto and Gordon are both rule 5 eligible and I would be surprised if either passed thru with the way they’ve been pitching, so one of those 2 would be my guess, but it’s just a guess.

BlindHog and Wulaw Horn like this.
  13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Jackson Nezuh @ Myrtle Beach: 6 IP, 3 H, ER, 2 BB, 8 K

Miguel Ullola @ Frisco: 5.2 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, BB, 7 K

14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I’m starting to officially get kind of excited about Ullola.

15. Astrofan59

Astrofan59 Member

I find it interesting that he has pitched 71 innings so far this year and has issued more walks (43) than he has given up hits (39).

Wulaw Horn and Snake Diggit like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

That's the only thing holding him back

Nook likes this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He’s had a half breakout. Getting as many k’s as he is in AA is huge. It is proving he has big league quality stuff. But without another big step forward in his ability to limit walks, he’s not gonna be more than a AAAA guy like 2021-2023 Enoli Paredes or 2019-2021 Bryan Abreu. For now the hype is getting a little unwarranted; nobody walking 5+ per 9 ip is going to come up and be badass in the majors right away.

BlindHog and Wulaw Horn like this.
  18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Generally agree, but...
    Arrighetti- 4.8 per 9 BB
    Javier- 4.9 per 9 BB
    Abreu- 4.7 per 9 BB

All those guys are right at that 5 per 9 threshold- Abreu is a badass, Javier was doing just fine and Arrighetti has been pretty good (certainly playable) since May 1, more or less. Framber had a couple seasons where he got by at 5.8 and 5.9 walks coming up.
    I guess what I'd say is if he's going to be able to limit his hits to 5 per 9, and strike fools out than that walk rate will play just fine. I doubt he's able to limit his hits that way with big leaguers, and you are right he's not going to be a bad ass right away if he keeps doing that- but there's a path there for a playable major leaguer while he tries to figure it out... maybe. He was on my breakout watch last year and he was terrible. This year feels like what I was hoping last year would be and I'm gruntled. He's a guy I'd be looking to next year potentially filling a spot in the rotation or maybe as a 7th inning guy if you could move off Presley (Abreu moves up to 8th).
    We've got 5 or 6 guys in AA and AAA that I think can be competent major league starting pitchers some day. He's the guy that feels like he's got the highest upside to me. And we need an ace level guy to hit somewhere b/c they are so very expensive to sign at the major league level.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This made me think about how I’d group Houston’s pitchers under long term control:

Legit potential aces: Blanco, Brown

Enigmatic #3/4’s (ace one day, awful/hurt the next): Arrighetti

Solid #3/4’s: Bloss, Blubaugh, Gusto

BoR/long relief: Gordon, Hicks, Dombrosk, Fleury, Knorr, A Brown, DeVos, Pecko, Taylor, Guilfoil, Mancini, Guedez, France

Wild range of outcomes (likely leverage RP): Ullola, Santa, Tredwell, Santos, True

20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I watched Whitley pitch last night. He was garbage.

1 IP, 2 H, ER, BB, 1 K

He almost hit multiple batters. He was all over the place.

Wulaw Horn likes this.