1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Snopes] No, Trump Did Not Call Neo-Nazis and White Supremacists 'Very Fine People'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jun 26, 2024.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Member
    Supporting Member

this should make heads explode

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-very-fine-people/

excerpt:

In sum, while Trump did say that there were "very fine people on both sides," he also specifically noted that he was not talking about neo-Nazis and white supremacists and said they should be "condemned totally." Therefore, we have rated this claim "False."
    more at the link

Salvy and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Now Snopes should should do the Bloodbath or Dictator Day 1 quotes too.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

The type of people who go out of their way to fight for the keeping of a Robert E Lee statue are going to be at the very least white supremacists, some I even assume would be Neo Nazis.

But come on dude. What type of people do this? What type of people are this adamant about keeping around confederate statues of coward weasel racists like Robert E Lee who became a traitor in the most cowardly way.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

1) Why is this surfacing nearly 8 years later? Nothing has changed.

2) I don't think Trump was stupid enough to not realize that what he was saying was at the very least provocative, if not deliberately inflammatory/controversial. He was quibbling and equivocating way too much. He farted out far too much word salad before addressing the elephant in the room, that the event was primarily attended and organized by white nationalists (he downplayed their presence and role, of course), and that those people were not "very fine".

In total, I think Trump deserves to get **** for what he said. What should have been an elementary level thing to say turned into a crazy act of mental and linguistic gymnastics. It was an embarrassing moment for the office.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Member
    Supporting Member

the story isn't Trump. The story is that it took Snopes seven years to get around to this

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

The individual who organized the protest and requested the permit to organize in the square was a self labeled white nationalist.

It's safe to say that pretty much every protestor who attended that event to defend the keeping of the statue was sympathetic to white nationalist causes.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

People forget that the name of the rally was “Unite the Right”. That included uniting with groups like Neo-Nazis.

FranchiseBlade and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

Jus curious. Did you listen to the entire message?

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Member
    Supporting Member

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

What good people were in the side of joining a protest organized by a self labeled white nationalist?

What type of people go out of their way to fight to keep a Robert E Lee statue up?

FrontRunner likes this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

Read the transcript many times.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Member
    Supporting Member

maybe on this schedule Snopes will get around to the Hunter Biden laptop story by 2027 or so

Hunter Biden story is Russian disinfo, dozens of former intel officials say
    More than 50 former intelligence officials signed a letter casting doubt on the provenance of a New York Post story on the former vice president’s son.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/19/hunter-biden-story-russian-disinfo-430276

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

What type of people who join a protest organized by a self labeled white nationalist where the agenda is to protest the removal of a dude most famous for fighting for slavery are "good people"?

Snopes is not some grand arbiter of right and wrong.

Maybe Snopes believes in the gaslighting of people who say they aren't white supremacists but defend every talking point of where supremacists at every corner. Maybe Snopes is full of dumb people who believe that only people who say "I am a Nazi" are the only people sympathetic to white nationalism.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

15. jo mama

jo mama Member

reading the transcript is a good reminder of what an unhinged, blathering moron trump is. thanks for sharing! incredible that his supporters would start a thread like this as if its some kind of "gotcha". the reality is that its a good reminder of what POS trump is.

did he straight up say "neo-nazis and white supremacists are very fine people"...no, but he did say the group that included neo-nazis and white supremacists who marched through the streets of an american city chanting "jews will not replace us" are "very fine people". he desperately tried to "both sides" the group that included nazis with the ones protesting the nazis.

there is nothing new here. threadstarter is doing a very fine job of combining desperation and gaslighting with this thread.

Trump: "Okay, what about the alt-left that came charging at -- excuse me, what about the alt-left that came charging at the, as you say, the alt-right? Do they have any semblance of guilt?

"Let me ask you this: What about the fact that they came charging with clubs in their hands, swinging clubs? Do they have any problem? I think they do. As far as I’m concerned, that was a horrible, horrible day. Wait a minute. I’m not finished. I’m not finished, fake news. That was a horrible day --

" I will tell you something. I watched those very closely -- much more closely than you people watched it. And you have -- you had a group on one side that was bad, and you had a group on the other side that was also very violent. And nobody wants to say that, but I’ll say it right now. You had a group -- you had a group on the other side that came charging in, without a permit, and they were very, very violent."

Reporter: "Mr. President, are you putting what you’re calling the alt-left and white supremacists on the same moral plane?"

Trump: "I’m not putting anybody on a moral plane. What I’m saying is this: You had a group on one side and you had a group on the other, and they came at each other with clubs -- and it was vicious and it was horrible. And it was a horrible thing to watch.

"But there is another side. There was a group on this side. You can call them the left -- you just called them the left -- that came violently attacking the other group. So you can say what you want, but that’s the way it is.

Reporter: (Inaudible) "… both sides, sir. You said there was hatred, there was violence on both sides. Are the --"

Trump: "Yes, I think there’s blame on both sides. If you look at both sides -- I think there’s blame on both sides. And I have no doubt about it, and you don’t have any doubt about it either. And if you reported it accurately, you would say."

Reporter: "The neo-Nazis started this. They showed up in Charlottesville to protest --"

Trump: "Excuse me, excuse me. They didn’t put themselves -- and you had some very bad people in that group, but you also had people that were very fine people, on both sides. You had people in that group. Excuse me, excuse me. I saw the same pictures as you did. You had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down of, to them, a very, very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name."

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

@Os Trigonum is probably the type of dude who believes the only people who are racist are the ones who explicitly say

"I'm a racist"
    Or "I'm a Nazi".

jo mama likes this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Member
    Supporting Member

that's bait.gif

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Do you think I don't sincerely believe that you are that guy who believes someone cannot be racist because they never said they "hate black(insert any ethnic or racial group)people" explicitly word for word?

You seem like the type who cannot fathom the concept of rhetoric or what someone fights for or defends as being enough to signal that someone is racist.

You can believe it's bait. But it's what I sincerely perceive of you.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

If anyone wants a short series on the life and history of the dude these white supremacists wax lyrical about

mtbrays likes this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What has changed is that the lying "fact checkers" finally - 7 years later - admitted they had been lying for 7 years.

Most "fact checkers" are just leftist political activists.