1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets acquire Suns picks, return Nets picks to Brooklyn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 25, 2024.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

I'm happy if this means we are going to use assets to go for a star.
    I'm unhappy if we keep these picks.

Its very rare that you draft like incredibly well like OKC or GSW do. I'd say Stone did a good job drafting and we've had prime position and we are nowhere close to what OKC and GSW were.
    We are running out of time before we have to start extending guys, need to get a guaranteed performer.

Invisible Fan and htownrox1 like this.
  2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

So basically this is a 3 way deal. Nets wouldn’t trade Bridges unless they got their picks back and I guess they would try to be competitive if they didn’t have their picks.

That said it’s the Nets and they will always suck. Don’t like this deal.

Invisible Fan and Arnel like this.
  3. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

People assume we will luck into another top 3 pick next year.
    They forgot that even with a bad coach and shitty team, the Nets were able to be somewhat competitive in the weak East

JeffB likes this.
  4. AXG

AXG Member

This is an awful trade. That Nets pick will likely be top 5 in one of the best drafts. The extra draft capital doesn't make up for that.

everyday eddie and Arnel like this.
  5. count_dough-ku

Look at it this way. Let's say the current Rockets core (mostly) pans out and becomes a title contender within a couple years(which presumably is the hope for fans and the front office). That means going into the 2026-27 season, we've got a roster good enough to compete for a championship......and then, assuming the Suns have collapsed at that point, we potentially get to add a high lottery pick to that group of players.

A good comparison would be the 2003 Pistons who had the best record in the East and on top of that had the #2 pick in the draft to add to their already loaded roster(which would win the title the next season). The only difference is even Stone wouldn't be stupid enough to select a guy like Darko Milicic.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No. We get the better of the Suns and Mavs pick in 2029 and we also have the right to swap our pick with the lesser of the Suns and Mavs pick. So basically, we get one of their 2029 picks and swap rights with the other one's 2029 pick.

Woj seems to be bouncing around. Earlier it seemed like he said we were actively looking to go after KD, then a few minutes later he basically said yeah the Rockets wanted KD but now they're looking to be more aggressive with the Suns' picks to go after someone else now. Phoenix isn't breaking it up this season, so I don't want a 70 year old KD. The Rockets want to use the picks now to upgrade, and failing that, they'll look to the future to see if Booker is available and use the picks for that purpose assuming they haven't already traded the picks.

I'm not sure what Woj is being fed, but I think he's even confused. :D

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Uhhhh...why'd we trade the swap? And in a loaded draft class too? I'm ok with losing the 2026 pick but the 2025 swap is tough.

But maybe Neta dont trade Bridges if they didnt have 2025 pick back, Woj just reported the details backwards.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. CKent

CKent Member

I would have liked to see one of those Knicks first rounders included and sent our way. If only to know for certain that Stone was aware of everything that was going on. Will just have to take him at his word on that now.

Arnel likes this.
  9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

What are you missing here?

Help me to help you

10. count_dough-ku

The 2025 pick is the price the Rockets had to pay to get the 2027 and 2029 picks.

11. MadMax

MadMax Member

A top 10 pick next year would be nice. Deep draft class. And maybe you get lucky and move up higher than that. Not a draft class I’d be trading out of unless I knew my return. I’d like to believe we do, but I’m not convinced

Arnel likes this.
  12. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

So did we retain the 2027 pick swap with BKN?

Corrosion likes this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

What about the 2026 pick?

14. invocux

invocux Member

Stone is on the verge ruining everything he built so far but he's not the one at fault it's Ime making him do all these trades. Rn as we are talking he's probably threatening to leave if Stone doesn't get him some stars. It's like your fiancee is bringing up marriage **** every 3 days. Stone feels completely trapped in this relationship and honestly i always had suspicions on him being a beta cuck.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

I guess?

roslolian and Shark44 like this.
  16. MadMax

MadMax Member

Query: will we take flying cars to the 2029 Draft Party? Many people are asking.

BHannes2BHonest and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Does this mean Anunoby is out in NYC?

BHannes2BHonest and Arnel like this.
  18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Do you think they were the 3rd worst team in the NBA?

We got the pick thanks to the %s falling in our favour.

BKN was injured a LOT last year. If fit, they probably make the play-in. It takes less than 40 wins out East.

We don't have the #3 pick next year. Nor would BKN be 3rd worst if they didn't blow it up.
    They wouldn't if it would favour us.
    Well done to them for buying back their picks by overpaying us.
    Then turning around and fleecing NYK for Bridges.

Winners here
    HOU over BKN

and then

BKN over NYK

If we don't beat BKN, they can't thrash the Knicks. So they gave in to us so they could bring home a major haul from NYK.

19. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Man, Rockets bet not trade for no Kevin Durant.

Arnel likes this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

OKC's gains come from SGA and not really their draft. As far as drafts they hit on Chet, Cason Wallace and JDub and everyone else has been mid.