1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LOR predicting Clingan over Sheppard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by groovemachine, Jun 25, 2024.

1. j@amc

j@amc Member

Getting Toronto's pick was a nice bonus for SA. Agreed. They are in a great position to build.

While Houston would like someone to overpay for Clingan, I doubt anyone will bite. I'd hate to see Sheppard playing with Wemby. That would be awful and a constant reminder of what we let get away.

Since it seems likely that the Rockets will hold on to this pick, can Stone do something else to consolidate resources? That's the big question.

2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yeah, if they take him it's to trade him later. I'm pretty convinced this pick will absolutely get moved one way or another.

albuster likes this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

the trade partners for doing anything significant this year are just not there. We can only hope that Tillman is telling the truth with his new patient thinking about our youthful core. Any trades will probably be for a useful vet or two around the edges, not a blockbuster. If they aren’t as convinced of Sheppard as the fans, they may still use #3 to acquire a helpful vet role player. I think the one thing that is not a smokescreen is that the Rockets want to trade down or out of this draft.

groovemachine likes this.
  4. danoman

danoman Member

Let’s take him for insurance purposes.

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

A Royal Rumble between the Green Gang, Mobley Mob, Sengunians, Jabari Jungle, Amen Apostles, Cam Jam, Clingan Clique and Sheppard Stans???

I'd buy that on PPV --- @sirjesse

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

I really like what OKC did with Giddy. Now they are significantly ahead of us in their rebuild and their championship window is just now opening, but I applaud being decisive.

there’s also something to be said for being patient, but there’s a fine line between being patient and indecisive. You don’t really see the Rockets front office being proactive, it feels very reactive. So while I appreciate the draft chops, I don’t trust the front office to make the team building moves an OKC or a Boston has. They just haven’t demonstrated that ability.

the two guys we really need to make consolidation decisions on are Dillon Brooks and Jalen Green.

Dillon is blocking Tari and Cam (two guys that are hugely impactful to winning for this team).

Jalen will be an RFA next yr and we need to avoid a zero-sum game where we are either forced to match an overpay or lose our highest pick since Yao for nothing. That’s why GMs like Presti don’t put themselves in that situation. It’s backfired before of course (see James harden), but the difference is that was entirely about money as opposed to Giddy or Jalen, which is about both money and player questions/fit.

Jalen is not worth what TO and Detroit just paid their top picks from that draft. But Jalen will be seeking close to that compensation. To me, especially given all the other promising talent in the roster, you have to get maximum value for Jalen now, and move on. It provides so much more future cap flexibility, helps recoup value and replenish coffers, creates more minutes for other guys, and Jalen might even bring back an upgrade player depending on how the deal is structured.

moving Dillon and Jalen could give us close to a max salary slot and create valuable minutes that can be filled by better shooters and 2-way players. Being decisive and proactive would be refreshing to see. A consolidation trade is needed; we shouldn’t wait until we are backed into a corner with fewer trade options returning less value.

j@amc likes this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

Agree on Dillon. they can give him away for a bag of chips far as I’m concerned, not because he isn’t valuable, but because we need the minutes and Ime is not the kind of coach that will bench a vet as long as he is giving max effort. I get your take on Green, but it really depends on his trade value. Right now, i think a top 5 pick in this lousy draft is about all you could get for him. I think the better gamble is to keep him and see if he can turn the corner and if not dump him for nothing.

8. The Cat

The Cat Member

You guys obviously can and will believe whatever you want, but let me clarify one thing: I don't know if there's a bigger Sengun supporter out there than Jackson. The idea that he's anti-Sengun is just silly.

(That said, for the record, I don't agree with him in terms of what's likely to happen. I think it's Reed if they stay at 3, and the alternative scenario is trading down. Could be wrong, that's just my hunch, at this stage.)

9. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

The problem I have with this narrative is that it’s very short sighted and can be made for any one game.

Sengun dominated Wemby. Are you really taking Sengun over Wemby long term?

Reed Shepherd completely disappeared in the last game of the tournament. Does that mean he can’t handle pressure or isn’t “that guy”?

You can’t judge who’s the “better center” after 1 game.

#49 htownrox1, Jun 25, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
  10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

This is one thing I don't get. Why dump him at all? Why not just sign him for a lot less money to play off the bench? If the value isn't there, it's not there from anybody else either, but he's already shown he's a starter level player in the NBA. I'll never understand why it's always extremes on this board, superstar or get him off the team, this player OR that player and never both players.

11. j@amc

j@amc Member

This is the way...

12. MystikArkitect

Letting Spurs get Sheppard and the Grizzlies get Clingan is going to torture this franchise for a long time.

groovemachine, Jags, Genesis and 4 others like this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Okc got a lucky break with the pg trade not to mention draft lottery luck with getting chet at 2 while we got Jabari

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

I mean, they targeted an up and coming star who actually hit with SGA. They also were smart enough to draft JWill who I think is one of the next big stars and a top 2 player in that draft. Their war chest of picks they’ve been accumulating for years is unlike anything the league has ever seen. They can dominate any draft or any Bidding war for a star. And they are the youngest team in nba history to finish the regular season #1 in a conference. It’s definitely not just luck. ;)

15. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Man you know Sheppard is praying he goes to SA. That would be perfect for him. He would not have to worry as much about guys getting past him when he's got an 8 ft praying mantis behind him stalking the lane. And you also know Wemby's going to love having a dude out on the wing that hits his treys over half the time.

Oh wait! It gets worse!

They also have the 8th pick where they can grab Knecht. Another clutch sniper for the big man.

Could be Christmas Eve in SA today.

Wemby 32%
    Sochan
    Knecht 40%
    Vassell 37%
    Sheppard 52%

100% :eek:

16. bustamove

bustamove Member

yeah if he keeps Clingan for sure a fireable offense

but what it he trades him a top 10 2024 pick and a future lottery pick

17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Ben, just curious if your belief that Reed is the pick is based on something youve heard behind the scenes or just a hunch based on all the info that is already public knowledge?

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sheppard helps now, and he will have a career at least like Mark Price.

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

It's a good smokescreen if Atlanta is thinking about trading down to 4.

It's also a good smokescreen if another team is trying to trade up to 4 to take Clingan.

The Rockets want to put into the universe that they are Clingan's floor. I don't buy it for a second but i've been wrong before and i'll be wrong again.

Hopefully the result is Clingan going #1 and none of this matters.

20. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

**** it. I rather have Clingan than trading down at this point. None of the rumored trade down partners make me excited.