1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[KELLY IKO] Rockets prefer Clingan to Sheppard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chef0010, Jun 22, 2024.

1. saleem

saleem Member

Coachbadlee needs to show patience, like a good NBA HC.

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

You know what made me soft?

"Bruno Fernando should start over Alperen Sengun"
    "Rockets should pay Mo Bamba to start over Alperen Sengun"
    "Rockets brass is not high on Alperen Sengun"

"That's who he is"

- Ime Udoka

I sure am glad we have a couple of people in here holding these people to task. BECAUSE SOME CRAZY **** HAS BEEN SAID ABOUT A 19-20-21 YEAR-OLD THAT BLEEDS ROCKETS RED...

cmoak1982, BamBam, Dobbizzle and 3 others like this.
  3. saleem

saleem Member

Perhaps, they prefer Clingan over Sheppard as the former has a better chance of being traded.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

If we end up picking Clingan I would flip. Why not trade down and get Edey then? Edey had better combine numbers than Clingan and also dominated him 1v1 in their H2H.

TimDuncanDonaut and JayZ750 like this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

shenj breh runs and moves kinda funny. am i the only one?

6. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Kel'el Ware , Tyler Kolek, Ron Holland

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

But my full plan makes lemonade out of these draft lemons.
    Pray for Sarr and Carter!!!

8. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Because looking at players from that shallow a perspective is near guaranteed to backfire? Seriously, Edey's a 2x player of the year in college, do you honestly think people aren't rating him higher because he slipped under the radar or something? That level of scrutiny makes that impossible. You have to look past college (where his attributes basically make him Shaq) and see how people think he'll look in the NBA. I quite like him actually, but the reasons I've seen from scouts for him not going higher:

Almost zero explosiveness/very slow foot speed - only moves well over distance rather than in short movements
    Useless on defense anywhere other than drop coverage. Like to the point where a decent starting PG could have him falling all over the place whilst they put up a 50 burger.
    Almost exclusively post-play on offense - in a league where this archetype is the opposite of desirable.

Essentially, the differences in size and mobility are what scouts think separates Clingan from Edey. Edey is a lot less mobile and that's making them project him much lower as a prospect. Clingan's being projected as an average starter type player, Edey as a roleplayer who probably won't play any playoff minutes because he's so easy to abuse on D.

BMoney likes this.
  9. j@amc

j@amc Member

Zach Edey is sort of a taller Luke Garza. Great size, great moves, quicker than you think. Lots of questions still:

Can Edey find a coach that will let him operate?
    Can any coach live with the inevitable live ball turnovers of a young big man in the NBA?
    Can he stay connected on the perimeter?
    Can he offer steady help without the free reign of NCAA defenses? ​

10. chef0010

chef0010 Rookie

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Clingan and Sengun cant share a court together. We will not be drafting a lifelong backup for this team at pick 3. This isnt even a subtle attempt at misdirection.

12. chef0010

chef0010 Rookie

Let’s choose the one that we can win a championship with.

[​IMG]

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

14. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Edey is no Garza. Have watched hours of tapes and trust me he is much more Ming, Emblid, Jokic. These same criticisms were used on these guys pre-draft and they did just fine. Jokic 2 is sitting there for tge taking and may get taken at the same spot as Jokic. Denver doesn’t win a championship without him and we’ll regret passing up on this guy for Clingan or someone else someday.

15. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I really wish people would stop trying to wish a Sengun trade into existence, it feels too much like "**** around find out" to me to tempt fate like that. However, at least all the Sengtards would go and annoy the Pelicans/whoever fans instead haha.

roslolian and chef0010 like this.
  16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I think Edey can play but his comp is more of a Yao- styled player than Embiid ( who handles and shoots) and Jokic who does everything & at his own pace. I think he’s better than Clingan.

roslolian likes this.
  17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

If they can't get a trade worked out in time before they make the pick you might be right. I don't love or hate either at three, but while Sheppard is probably a better fit for Houston, my guess is that Clingan probably has more value around the league.

jcmoon and saleem like this.
  18. j@amc

j@amc Member

By the way, the only thing Garza doesn't have is size. Garza would be a very impactful player if he were bigger. Making this comparison is not meant to be a negative.

Jokic is an incredible rebounder with an excellent/superior second jump. I don't see that motor in Edey yet, and he's an older-than-average prospect. I don't yet see the passing of Ming or Jokic in Edey. He draws a crowd, but they are NCAA-sized guys leading to finishes.

Edey will likely have a good career if he sticks with the right coach. It would help him if the NBA would adjust some rules, and they might do that to christen the Wemby era.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

if Edey is a lot less mobile how come he beat out Clingan in the draft combine drills? Those results dont come outta nowhere. Edey wouldnt get high agility drill results if he is as slow as people say. Maybe a lot of things impacted him in college like the weight of having to be the sole offensive option. Look at Sengun people said he was also slow laterally thats why he fell to 16 despite being an 18 yr old Euroleague MVP.

I think Edey is getting looked down upon the same way people looked down upon Sengun and Doncic. But unlike Sengun and Doncic we actually had Edey do some drills and he showed he isnt as slow as people made him out to be.

You are right Edey will prob have to be benched in the playoffs against the best perimeter teams in the MBA, but thats not really any different from someone like say Gobert who just won DPOY being solely a drop coverage big.

#159 roslolian, Jun 24, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2024
    lpbman likes this.
  20. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

why do you keep calling people sengtards and act all happy if they left in a trade when you call yourself a jalen green fan... jalen green?!? rooting for jalen green right now is like rooting for the rockets to be perpetually bad. and his off the court **** is embarrassing as a rockets fan.

do you not realize there's more actual rockets fans who want jalen green off of the team than alperen? can you be any more tone-deaf?