1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[KELLY IKO] Rockets prefer Clingan to Sheppard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chef0010, Jun 22, 2024.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

My sauces, say that the Rox prefer Sarr and Sheppard over anyone else.

DD

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, if you want to make the playoffs, dump Jalen and go with Cam. That one move alone moves the needle enough.

When it comes to Sheppard, I get it, you don't see just how good the kid is...but it's flat out absurd to say that the best guard in a draft class would be "defying odds" to be a backup....LOL, I mean, I get that maybe there's some unspoken non basketball issues that might be affecting some, but that's still a facially absurd statement.

We're not talking about some super raw prospect, we're talking about an elite shooting, super high BBIQ guy that should be good to go from day one. He'll sit behind FVV for a year then take over the reigns. If FVV wasn't here, he'd start from day one.

Personally, I think players are better off if they get to be brought in more slowly the way Cam and Amen were. Some guys get the Green light from day one and fall flat on their faces.

Snow Villiers and DaDakota like this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I’m just saying what I think will happen if they draft Sheppard. Ime is not going to be comfortable with a rookie backup PG in a year where he firmly believes we are going to the playoffs. If we draft Sheppard and now we have 7 core players, who is Sheppard immediately going to take minutes from. I know your answer is Jalen, but I see no evidence that Ime will let that happen early in the season. The fact is we don’t have enough minutes to go around for all the guys that need development and, as we saw demonstrated last year, Ime is going to give even vets of 2 years precedent over a rookie. It is the main reason, I want them to jettison Brooks before the season, because Ime will feel obligated to start the vet (Brooks) over Amen who was the much more effective SF than Brooks. Everyone, including you, was screaming that guys need to earn their minutes, but want to gift Sheppard the backup pg position day one.

Da Wink likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That comes off as wishful thinking than anything based in reality.

I just spelled out to you where Sheppard was going to play, he'd be FVV's backup at the PG spot. He's not taking minutes away from anyone....the fact that you reflexively are worried about Jalen kind of shows your true concerns about the Rockets drafting Sheppard and why you are hoping for a trade down so that the Rockets draft an inferior player who won't threaten your guy....however, you shouldn't worry, Sheppard is FVV's replacement, not Green's.

Jalen's replacement is already on the team in Cam Whitmore.

There's plenty of minutes to go around even with guys like Jalen and Brooks getting minutes they don't deserve.

You have

Sengun - Adams

Jabari - Tari

Brooks - Amen

Jalen - Cam

FVV - Sheppard.

You have 2 starters I'd love to dump in Brooks and Jalen and one in FVV that will be gone at the end of the season, but basically you have a scenario where you can legitimately run a 10 man rotation with the bench potentially being better than the starters. That means no one should get overly tired and that hopefully limits injuries.

If you can dump Brooks and Jalen during the season, even better...but I'm not holding my breath for that.

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I am on record over and over again that Jalen shouldn’t get more than 10-25 games before being trade bait. I’m just looking at the evidence that our coach is still going to give Jalen every chance to be the guy and I also see evidence that Ime is reluctant to give rookies significant minutes until something like an injury forces his hand. In fact, I want Jalen insurance because I don’t think Cam is ready to be the starting SG and I think Jalen is probably 60-40 going to fail for this team. If Sheppard can step in and be the backup PG for a playoff team then congratulations to you and all of us, because that would be great. Just think it’s pie in the sky thinking.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's a big difference between raw rookies like Cam and Amen and a top tier NBA ready rookie like Sheppard.

I don't think it'll happen, but it wouldn't be crazy for Sheppard to be the best guard on the roster next season... he's that good.

It'll probably still be FVV, but it could be close.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I hope you are right if we get Sheppard, but your hyperbole regarding him is over the top. At times, you display solid reasoning, other times your hate or love for a player clouds any logical arguments you have. In my opinion, it is a stretch to think Ime will give Sheppard meaningful minutes unless Jalen fails and one of Amen or FVV gets hurt. It could happen, but it is not at all likely. If Sheppard was what you are saying, there would be no discussion about who the #1 pick should be. If they let Holiday walk, like they should, I guarantee they are going to sign or trade for a vet combo guard and Sheppard’s chance for meaningful minutes this year will be even more remote. I hope you are right and I am wrong.

joshuaao likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If I'm wrong, it won't be the first time, but with this guy it's really hard to see a scenario where that ends up being the case.

I had him as the #1 guy in the draft class after I watched all of the consensus top guys and so did the guy who called Sengun as a top player in 2021 (full disclosure, I didn't, but I liked what I saw once I finally watched him.... but that was after we drafted him)

I trust the analytics guys over the more old school scouts and that's why the guys I typically like don't always match up with the guys pushed by the TV talking heads.

Let's hope whatever the Rockets do ends up being the right thing.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

Great. Now that is a reasonable take. I don’t see Sheppard as a can’t miss, but you do. That’s fine. Hope the Rockets don’t screw the pooch, because regardless of this draft, i believe we are headed for a championship in the next 5 years.

10. BreakYoSelfFool

Actually, I've been looking for highlights, but none have been impressive. I don't watch college basketball and don't start looking into draft prospects with a favorite in mind. If you have some please share. I check out the prospects afterwards and come to my own conclusion, without caring what the media says. My observations about Clingan:

• He is tall with high reach
    • Decent passer for his size.
    • The fact that Clingan rode the bench behind a 6'9 undrafted center his freshman season is concerning to me.
    • Clingan looks out of shape on film. He also looks slow and appears to lack quickness. His combine numbers confirm this.
    • He is primarily defensive guy and promoted as a great defensive prospect, but only averaged 2.1 blocks per game in college and 2.5 per game last year. Doesn't block many shots above the rim
    • Guys get past him pretty regularly off the dribble but he can at times recover. Seems to be average at recovering and contesting the shot.
    • Doesn't appear quick or fast enough to be a good roll man or pick n roll defender in the NBA.
    • Slow shot and poor free throw shooter
    • Not a strong post defender

coachbadlee likes this.
  11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

This has to be a smoke screen.

awc713, BMoney, groovemachine and 2 others like this.
  12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan

But why would Portland do that? They need young players with upside and there not that much difference from the #3 to #7 pick unless they fell in love with someone. Having both picks for them to stock up is ideal for them. Rockets would have to give up one of their young core on top of the #3. Like Tari.

Philip K. Nick likes this.
  13. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan

I see no way Portland is inclined to do this trade. They need more young players who can make positive contributions the court. Even if they love Clingan, they will get better bang for their buck with 2 lottery swings. Unless the Rockets are also trading like Tari or Jalen, there is no way I see Portland interested.

14. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

I think sooner the Rockets trade Sengun the better. These hush hush leakes create a toxic environment for Sengun himself, the team, and fans. Hopefully everyone will be happy at the end!

15. Yetti

Yetti Member

If the Rockets take another Big man in the Draft they should tale Z.Edey,Z he is a very special player!
    I tell Mr Fertita the Owner, Rafael Stone The Team Manager and Ime Udoka The Head Coach reorganize the team!!!!
    SENGUN unt tall enough to be the CENTER !!! He would be a great starting Power Forward !! ZC.EDEY would be the BIG

houtown likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

if they actually drafted Clingan, things would get very interesting moving forward

17. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I said my dreamish sequence.

Also, I did mention Time Lord over #14.

18. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

This report sounds like Rockets are trying to get someone to overpay to move up to 3. Most likely the Rockets will trade this pick if they are prioritizing playoffs next season.

19. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I believe they are drafting Clingan. He is a younger Brook Lopez except he cannot shoot 3s yet. The Bucks want to trade Lopez and he could trade Dillion For Lopez BUT this would be to crazy. Lopez would want to start and Sengun would hate this as he is looking for a summer extension. Draft Clingan, he would be a future anchor of our defense, provide sensational mismatches on our offense end and I believe he would work well with Jabari and Sengun. Do not worry about Sengun’s shooting, his shooting will improve next year.

He is the same size as Lopez….7’2 and 282 pounds….

20. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

It’s a big thing that his free throw percentage is that bad because teams will hack him a lot and he will become unplayable.

apollo33 and wlekfjv923n like this.