1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don't Panic Button 2024

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ima_drummer2k, Apr 30, 2024.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Until now, 90% of my interest has been on Astros and 10% has been their prospects.

I think it's time to change that around until spring training.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Fair. The losing trust part is huge. Probably a big part of the reason that he didn't see eye-to-eye with Click -- assume Click wanted the autonomy and maybe somewhat sold that he would have it, but then as a result of the scandal Crane needed to keep his finger more on the pulse.

But from a results standpoint, while conservative, Click made savvy moves -- and some would argue that our only legitimate WS was under his direction.

Meanwhile we now have the third highest payroll and feeling like the '08-'10 Astros. Will be interesting to see how Crane reacts.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Thats the thing though. He's not reacting.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I would suspect there's two (potential) reasons for that: 1) I have to believe they still have hope; the team is too good to move too quickly; 2) I'm not sure a reaction really accomplishes anything. They could fire Espada; DFA Abreu; demote Pressly... but what is plan B? The answer can't be *anything* would be better - that's an emotional fan reaction. You can't run teams like that. What unemployed manager makes this team better? Jon SIngleton has a .649 OPS. Pressly actually owns one of the lower FIPs in the bullpen - is there definitively someone better??

And none of those reactions address: Tucker being hurt; Alvarez underperforming; Bregman significantly underperforming; Altuve in an extended slump (.620 OPS since May 1); Pena and Diaz being inconsistent...

I just don't think there are any easy fixes here...

astros123 and Snake Diggit like this.
  5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Okay..... This is it. We've got the White Sox, Rockies and Mets for 8 of the next 11 games.

If we don't go 8-3 during this stretch, I will ask the moderators to close this thread.

ROCKSS, astros123 and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Should be 2 sweeps and a 2-1 series win.

This will not happen because it's the '24 Astros.

My biggest question is will they find new and exciting ways to screw up a game or 2?

7. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly - what does he or she have to lose? He was flat out told that unless he took the blame, and on their exact terms that there was no chance he would ever be let back into baseball - and even if he did exactly what they said, there was no guarantee that he would get back in, that he could formally petition after a long period of time and ask the commissioner's office to consider reinstating.

They were not going to have Crane take the fall, and he did what he was instructed to do - fired the GM and manager.

Hinch did what he was supposed to do - he acted repentant and was back in the game in no time, even if it means still having to act sorry for a situation he knew about and did nothing about and didn't really want to do anything about.

ROCKSS and astros123 like this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It’s just not the “high road” for someone of prominence to make petty internet comments. If she thinks Jeff was wronged, that’s fine, but put out a formal statement (or write a book) to set the record straight, then leave it alone unless someone else attacks first. Coming out of the dark to stomp on somebody when they’re down (even if they “deserve it”) shows a lack of class.

ROCKSS and Nook like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Crane did not put all of his trust in Luhnow at first - then when he did, he got rather angry at Luhnow for not closing the deal on that Orioles closer and a couple others. He eventually let Luhnow do what he wanted to do. However - there is still a lot of questions about what Crane did and did not know. He was already getting more involved in the numbers side of the game, and he was on scouting trips, etc. He also met with Hinch and Luhnow often. I personally don't buy the idea that Crane didn't know. He was pissed that the Astros didn't do a better job of hiding it - and Crane also knows a number of other teams were doing the same.

Click was gone because he was an ******* with a lot of other people in the organization and Crane had a number of people complaining to him about it.

Radricky and ROCKSS like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think of class when I think of the Luhnow's..... they are many things, but I wouldn't call Jeff a classy person. He is the equivalent of General Patton in baseball. If anything, I am surprised that Luhnow has personally waited to not say a lot - I suspect it is because he still knows some in the organization and some of the players he loved, like Altuve and Correa are in the game and could be hurt.

Radricky, ROCKSS and astros123 like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Luhnow also straight up lied to his boss's face. That typically doesn't end well.

Hiring a McKinsey consultant typically also has the same result for everyone but corporate ownership.

astros123 likes this.
  12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Then what did Cora do to get off essentially free?

13. JGuns

JGuns Member

After all, he was sitting in the first or second row of the diamond boxes for most home games... what, 25 ft. from the batters box?. There's no way he never heard those bangs or wondered aloud, "where is that banging coming from?"

Radricky, ROCKSS, The Beard and 3 others like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Is it really lying if Crane knows? That’s the billion dollar question. Crane wasn’t completely away from the club and insulated from the situation.
    IDK - at the end of the day, Luhnow was an exceptional GM. His players did not cover their tracks and Luhnow probably thought he was protected by claiming the players did it and not him directly - but he under estimated or miscalculated MLB. **** doesn’t run down to Union ball players like he thought and it doesn’t float up river to the owners either.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Because they could close the circle. It would go no farther than the Astros GM and manager. Beltran and Cora (who cheated with Boston) were able to move on. Executives got the message - they will take the fall. The manager was in the locker room with the players and that sent a message as well.

raining threes likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Of course.

Player to Coach to Manager to GM to Owner

They all knew.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Magic number for number of additional losses the Astros can have before the all star break in order to avoid selling is down to 7.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Currently 5-1. Just need to go 3-2 to keep the thread open!

19. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Don't fall for the trap games. Don't be allergic to sweeps. Don't do stupid ***t.

20. Buck Turgidson

It would be totally on point for the 2024 Astros to sweep Baltimore and then lose both to the Rockies