1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    It's time for the second round of the Draft! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room at 3:00pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. We're also talking more about the Rockets acquisition of AJ Griffin ...

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Houston Rockets 2024 NBA Draft Workouts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coachbadlee, May 25, 2024.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I call either Washington or Atlanta a smoke screen.

saleem likes this.
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Interesting. Risacher has only worked out for the Hawks and the Spurs. Sarr has one with the Wizards.
    No workouts for the generational one.

3. MystikArkitect

Alex Sarr looks like French Christian Wood. Can't set a screen to save his life. Disappears from the games at times and has a terrible game feel. If you're gonna get a big, just get Clingan. If you want a wing get Williams or Buzelis. Williams can actually dribble which is nice.

4. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Shead at 44 or as UDA would be nice for PG depth. He has potential to go undrafted and have a FVV type career. The guy just knows how to win and lead.

5. maj21

maj21 Member

Last year’s top wasn’t that hard to predict lol

napalm06 likes this.
  6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I remember when we got Jabari, he only worked out for the Magic and OKC:

https://www.si.com/nba/rockets/news...mith-limits-workout-orlando-magic-okc-thunder

Clutch City1993 likes this.
  7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think the assumption of building around Sengun is not a certainty and I know Vecenie has similar concerns that Sengun might be a guy who gets exploited too much to lead a deep playoff team. He is the best player on the roster hands down but I'm not as convinced he is baby Jokic. I think he can be a really good player but if I told you he was likely to have a similar trajectory as Domatas Sabonis, what would your response be the question of "should we build around this player"?

That's an important question to answer before the draft because there is a possibility that Houston is deciding between upside with a guy like Sarr vs fit with a guy like Reed. If they keep the 1st pick, I think their pick will really determine the team's plans with Sengun. I think Reed can be a decent player anda good fit with our current team, but I don't see All Star with him - maybe a Kirk Heinrich/JJ Reddick type - both of which are guys you want on your team's rotation but not exactly the stuff of #3 pick dreams. Curious what your idea of his ceiling is?

8. PeppermintCandy

raining threes and coachbadlee like this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No one in this draft is replacing Sengun.
    The people claiming “concerns” are the same people that have been proven wrong over and over again by Alp, now it’s just rewording it.
    Clingan and Sarr aren’t replacing Alp. They are nowhere near his talent level.
    If anything, Jabari would be the odd man out and I don’t think they’re better than him either.

10. MystikArkitect

No one in this draft is replacing anyone as we have a player at every position that would go #1 overall in this draft. Amen (PG) Jalen (SG) Cam (SG) Jabari (PF) Sengun (C). We need to draft for need/depth and the biggest position of need is at SG. There is only one SG prospect worth a lick in this draft.

11. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Sabonis is an All NBA player...so I'd say that's a pretty good trajectory. Plus I think Sengun might be potentially better than Sabonis in some areas (including defensively), so I'd definitely be fine rolling the dice.

I think you do need to surround Sengun with a rare combination of long, switchy, athletic plus defenders and elite shooting to ideally make it work. But hey it just so happens that you have some guys in the core that potentially offer that long term.

I'm pretty high on Sengun, especially after this last year. But yeah if people want to go into this with the assumption that Sengun is not that guy, I get it. I'd want to hear some projections on how exactly you end up on a better path (vs "hey maybe a super mega star gets traded here"), but I'm open to different viewpoints there.

I'd say his 70-80 percentile outcome is something like Fred VanVleet. If he literally hits on pretty much everything (90-100 percentile outcome), then we're talking somewhere between that and like... Steve Nash.

This basically assumes all his elite college skills were legit and translate to similarly elite NBA skills (with increased usage). We'd be talking about a potential 50/40/90 guy, possibly 7+ assists, 2-3 stocks per game, etc. The odds of him getting there are pretty low, but I do think we're talking about a 19 year old guy who is already highly skilled with great feel/BBIQ and a good motor. I think those kind of guys have really high ceilings.

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The Brooklyn picks in 25 or 26 should be off-limits for most of the players in the NBA much less for Sarr.

ROXTXIA and Plowman like this.
  13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They dont have to be at his talent level to replace his defensive deficiency which is what the team needs at the 5. You all keep taking it the wrong way. The Rockets need shot blocking at the rim. Although Alpi can do it, he's just not known for it.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No, he anchored a top 10 defense. Is one of the best defenders on the team by most metrics.
    What this team needs is someone that can make shots. We don’t have that.
    Alp is the future of this team, then Amen.
    I love Jalen but he is too inconsistent to be given the keys or build around……yet. If he can show he can live up to his potential, then the 1-2 combo of Alp and Jalen would be nice

AroundTheWorld and cml750 like this.
  15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Maybe Risacher sending a message to the Wizards don't draft me.

Tidjane Salaun is another French Player, that can be a Star.
    Very Similar Kenyon Martin Sr.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

We all saw how great the Rockets can be with better rim protection last season. Just imagine if we had a 5 who specialized in that like a Clingan/ Sarr type. Yall just dont want to admit because yall love Alpis dirty draws. I like Alpi too but I love the teams success 10x more.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Stop it. No you don’t.
    You want to be right about Jalen.

If we move on from Alp we are literally starting over, all the tanking was moot. Your best player and the only young gun on the team that has shown he has the ability to at least be a top 2 player on a great team is Alp.

AroundTheWorld and cml750 like this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The Alpi can’t play defense rhetoric was proven wrong last year. We were a top 10 defense and Alpi’s offense is key to that side of the floor. We need more offense. Our defense is going to be even better this year with Tari and Amen getting significant minutes. Sengun should have been an all-star last year. I’m not sure Sarr or Clingan is a worthy starting player in the NBA. They might very well start, but not sure they are career starters. Clingan has backup center written all over him. I haven’t seen enough of Sarr to say he’s worthy of a normal lottery pick much less no. 1. I call it the Wemby effect. All of a sudden, these French guys are being extremely overrated. Other than Parker and Wemby has there been any other French players that have made it in the NBA?

19. cml750

cml750 Member

Sengun is very close to Sabonis now and better than him in some aspects. Sengun is much younger than Sabonis and no where near his ceiling yet so there is absolutely no reason to not expect Alpi to blow right past "Sabonis level". The bigger question is how close will Alpi get to "Jokic level".

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Even if it’s somewhere between the two, that’s a star.