1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case to Draft Reed Sheppard at #3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, May 20, 2024.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

These dumb asses are out of their minds.

Alex Coruso and a future first or second for 3rd pick overall?

I can’t even take it seriously.

Give me Coby White & 11 & we’ll talk.

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Very good thoughtout analogy. And yes, Boston's 3pt shooting is better than the Rockets overall. My thoughts are, I just don't know how much if any difference Reed will have this coming season, if drafted by the Rockets.

Ime is going to want to win at all cost this season and with Reed or any other rookie, how much will he be able to contribute? Where will his mins come from? Right now, its Jalen, FVV, Amen and Cam in the backcourt and if they resign Holiday....he may as well wait until somebody gets hurt or traded.

I think the only minutes readily available is in the frontcourt. They need an athletic body at center and a shooter at the SF.

3. 9baller

9baller Member

I'll give you Royce White and a second rounder. Final offer ;)

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So do we.

maj21 likes this.
  5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Member
    Supporting Member

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Your suggestion is as much of an overpay for Chicago though, considering White is on a very reasonable contract.

Maybe Ayo + either #11 or a future first? I feel like Ayo probably has less trade value around the league than White, but might sneakily be just about as good of a player.

7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Member
    Supporting Member

I have no idea how he would use Sheppard, or if he would do so well that Ime might actually move him into more minutes halfway through the season. Probably not, regardless of how well he learns or grows. That's the big question, even if he could be the best 6th man over time, or even better. So are you saying someone will have to replace those other two positions as a starter in order for us to win more?

#1307 deb4rockets, Jun 10, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2024
  8. dmoneybangbang

Sheppard at the #3 isn't something I'd be happy about or upset about.

coachbadlee likes this.
  9. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Huge overlap between Green stans, Alpi non-believers and Sheppard haters. Tells you all you need to know.

10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. I would put Jabari at the SF and getting Sarr to play PF, if he falls to #3. However someone else mentioned Jalen Smith, who I think will flourish next to Alpi and Jabari.

jch1911 likes this.
  11. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I wouldn't go down that road if I were you, the people who are massively overrating Sheppard (CP3 with a more lethal shot, Nash, Curry etc) overlap with the Jalen haters just as much, and those are objectively the most insane opinions in this thread. Some of us want Sheppard because he fits our biggest need, but just think people should pull their heads out of the clouds and realise he's not a superstar prospect, just a phenomenal shooting one...

maj21, HD729 and coachbadlee like this.
  12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Just heard a new comp for Sheppard.
    Frederick VanVleeterick.

13. H. Christopher

14. MystikArkitect

There isn't a player on the Bulls not named Coby White that I'd want more than Reed Sheppard (or Stephon Castle if we need to absolutely draft another wing that can't shoot).

Those Bulls fans are out of their damned minds. Bill Simmons said we should trade the #3 + Cam + a future 1st for Mikal Bridges. Getting to a point where people are going to be saying that we should pay teams to take the #3 overall pick.

15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

So we should just take a 25 year old career backup guard on a losing squad for the 3rd pick in the draft?

Man I’d rather take my chances on the 3rd pick in the draft no matter how weak you THINK it is. That’s crazy talk.

No team in the NBA is just going to GIVE away a top 3 pick.

#1315 TEXNIFICENT, Jun 10, 2024
    cml750, Shark44 and Sooty like this.
  16. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Yeah I see people saying “it’s perceived as a weak draft, therefore HOU should take way less than the normal price for the #3 pick”

That’s… not how this works.

HOU has the premium asset that people want, the #3 pick. We can happily stick and pick. If a bidding war can be created, we listen. We have no reason to fold in the negotiation.

Stone taking less than the typical price ( a future expected lottery pick) to move down would be booking an instant L for himself. For selfish reasons GMs don’t do that.

Just doesn’t align with GM incentives. Much better to stick and pick unless you’re overwhelmed with an offer. If the player busts, we won’t know for 3-4 years. And anyway, busts happen.

#1316 carl_herrera, Jun 10, 2024
  17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lots of players shot better than Curry why even mention that? Lots of players shot better than Curry in the past lots of players will shoot better than Curry in the future but in the NBA nobody has shot better than Steph Curry.

If we are just basing it on college stats Edey should be the pick his college stats are a lot better than Sheppard in fact Edey won MVP while Sheppard just had 12.5 ppg.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Even the guy boosting Sheppard thinks he is too high at 3 lol.

If Risacher is off the board at 3 not sure who is the right pick at 3 besides Sheppard maybe Castle or Ron Holland.