1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case to Draft Reed Sheppard at #3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, May 20, 2024.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

63 pages. I'm impressed.

[​IMG]

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I feel differently. I just don't think you should use a #3 draft pick on a player who had one breakout season and from Draft Analyst accounts, they are saying it was filled w/UPS and DOWNS; 20pt games and 7 pt games.

In the Top 5, you have to be more certain or trade the pick.

3. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

You keep mentioning draft analyst accounts like you've accurately summarized the general consensus on guys like Sheppard, but it really seems like you pulled from just one outlier analysis (and even then, you're probably misconstruing it). I notice you're not quoting guys like Sam Vecenie, Kevin Pelton, John Hollinger, etc., but instead I think it is just some random guy I've never really heard of from nbdadraft.net (or was it somewhere else?). Plus you have Vecenie noting that certain front offices have Reed #1 based on their analytics/etc.

I do think this draft is weak at the top, and you're not going to find anyone better than a Cam Whitmore type of prospect. But I think depending on your perspective, Reed is definitely in or around that top tier of guys in this specific draft. Could trade it, but I'm not sure the value would necessarily be all that great. I've seen a number of trade proposals involving the pick, and for the vast majority of them, I'd rather just draft someone like Reed (or even Castle or one of the other prospects).

Shark44, cml750, cmoak1982 and 3 others like this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Weil er autismus hat.

5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

6. cml750

cml750 Member

Over the course of his career maybe but don't expect him to be Nash from day 1. His main responsibilities starting off would be to play good defense and nail his own 3 ball attempts. Of course if he can shoot in the 40+% from deep, he will have to be guarded which will help open things up for others.

I will also point out he may never be asked to do what Nash did. Nash was the one who initiated the offense in the D' Antoni system much like Harden did under him. With Alpi and Amen, the offense will flow through those two most of the time. Even though Sheppard would likely be in the PG position, his first responsibility would likely be to get the ball to Alpi or Amen who would set up the offense to get everyone good looks. Reed's responsibility would then shift to making open shots when they pass it to him.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, if he went to Kentucky, he probably wouldn't be a starter as a freshman either. But if he stayed, he'd be killing it in his junior or senior year. He might even get to be an NCAA tourney star. But he probably still wouldn't be picked #3 because there wasn't a Steph Curry for him to be compared with and 3pt shooting was still not as fashionable as now.

#1267 Easy, Jun 10, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2024
  8. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

I thought Rees Shepard was 6 foot 3

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It was a post mocking the @hlmbasketball type folks.

#1269 AroundTheWorld, Jun 10, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2024
  10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I also forgot this classic, " its Caliparis fault that Sheppard isn't starting".

11. MystikArkitect

It really isn't/wasnt that different from Silas starting Bruno Fernando over Alperen Sengun. Anyone with eyeballs could see how ****ing dumb that was but there was other reasons why that was happening. And even with his wings clipped by his organization, Reed/Sengun still somehow managed to be the highest rated prospect on his team.

Not saying that Reed will become Alperen Sengun and definitely not Steph Curry...but there are definite parallels to both players that can't be denied. Mainly in people's negative view of him because he doesn't "look a certain way" even though his film and almost every stat say otherwise.

BamBam, Little Bit, YaoMac09 and 5 others like this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If we stay at 3, he is my guy.

He might be the next Steve Nash, or Steve Kerr, guys that have elite skills like he does always find a way to be successful.

DD

13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

The only issue with that is, the Rockets view Amen as their top player at the moment and his most ADVANTAGEOUS position will be PG.

Can Reed and Amen co - exists in the backcourt if things don't workout with Jalen, possibly. But I think we are seeing how size matters in the NBA Finals. Boston's length is effecting one of the best players of all time in Kyrie Irving.

I think the Rockets are hoping to have a future backcourt of Jalen and Amen, with Tari or a similar size player at SF and Jabari at the PF. I think they are looking to get bigger across the board, which is one of the reasons they traded for Adams and tried to get Lopez last yr.

14. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Valid point... the NT-MLE is still available at about $12M per year (Jalen Smith?) and the BAE as well (Mo Bamba?)

So free agency is still an option to improve height / length (TWSS) if Sheppard is the pick.

And this is coming from a Kel'el truther

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The top player is Sengun.

Amen is great, but he has a lot of stuff he needs to still learn and fix.

cmoak1982 and cml750 like this.
  16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

First of all, the Celtics shot 38.8% from behind the arc as a team this year. That was 2nd highest in the league. How do you consider that average?

Also, Sarr would be great in other aspects but I doubt he's a realistic pick at #3. I would be just as happy if he was available and we took him over Sheppard though, as much as I would love getting Sheppard. As far as that proven FA who will be a deep threat at a high level I don't see us signing that starter before they decide if Jalen can up his game next year. Who else would they replace in our starting core to be that FA to make immediate impact as a deep threat, and who would they replace on our starting core? Brooks?

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

So IF Ime starts Steven Adams over Sengun is he going to be ****ing dumb??

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The reaching is absurd here

19. MystikArkitect

I dont know....if Jason Kidd starts Jaden Hardy over Luka Doncic is that ****ing dumb?

YaoMac09, AroundTheWorld and cml750 like this.
  20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

That's not the same. It's a possibility that Adam's will be our starting center. Not because hes better than Sengun but because he fits what Ime is trying to do.
    That's the problem with most fanatics. They don't care about the team. You all want to draft Reed and just throw team dynamics out the window just so you can snuggle up nice and cozy with your favorite player(s). How many 30 pt games has Sengun had? How many 40pt games? I'll make it easy for you. How many 25 pt games?? Yet you snuggle bunnies have crowned him king of the Rockets and are ready to do the same for Sheppard.