1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case to Draft Reed Sheppard at #3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, May 20, 2024.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yes nobody is crowning him as the next Steph Curry you guys are saying he will be better than Steph Curry.

Just read the posts above.

"Sheppard will shoot 46% in the NBA"
    "Curry shot 40% as a junior in college, Sheppard shot 50% as a freshman"

Also you are literally being disengenuous if you dont think he will be the next Curry why are you comparing him to Curry?

coachbadlee likes this.
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wait, they been in here all day squeezing Sheppard tighter than a pair of jeans. A few of them did say that he will be Steph. It's too late. Dont try and save them now.

htownrox1, roslolian and J.R. like this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sheppard shot .521 from the 3. That's a big difference from 40%.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Lots of people also said short guys aren't worth drafting, or can't shoot. Everyone has an opinion I guess.

REEKO_HTOWN and AroundTheWorld like this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

NBA is a big difference from college.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Not me. I have always said that Sheppard was going to be a good player. Just not in his 1st season. I also said that Devin Carter was going to contribute in year one off the bench because of his elite defensive prowess and lengthy wingspan. Both are short and dangerous in their own way. Both are role players.

roslolian likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True but to earn enough playing time in Year 1 is the topic.......I do not mind developing him but I think Udoka wants to play veterans now more than ever.....

It will be interesting to see how the 50% is going to impact winning if the volume is not truly high.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

LOL. So let's decide whether Reed Sheppard is a benched player in college or the next Steph Curry in the NBA. :D

9. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

You forgot "CP3 with a more lethal shot"

htownrox1, coachbadlee and roslolian like this.
  10. cml750

cml750 Member

I am pretty sure the post you were replying to was pure sarcasm.

cmoak1982 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am glad Steph went to Davidson and not Kentucky......that move to a minor program did him good.

Easy likes this.
  12. cml750

cml750 Member

Stating that he had better stats than Curry in college is just a fact. That ≠ he will be better than Curry in the NBA although it is dumb to assign a ceiling to a player before he even steps one foot on an NBA court. Many assigned a low ceiling to Alpi that he has easily blown past. Sheppard college stats make him more than a great #3 pick and the fact that his best skill was our biggest weakness makes him a perfect fit if he is not already drafted by the time we are on the clock.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is a start but we misunderstand collective shooting improvements vs individual shooting.

One guy is getting his shots and numbers up but it has to be collectively and that is why it is imperative that Sheppard turns out to be a Nash type of player.

Getting others involved and quality looks.

I do not wish to see 1 guy shooting 49% and the rest of guys are dwelling at 34% again.

14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Obviously, you missed my post about the Rockets getting shooting in FA, since I don't think Reed is as good as most of you all do.

There are PROVEN players they can obtain that will cost less, than given nearly $10MM per yr to for the next 4yrs. Especially, since he's only shot that well for 1yr.

BUT OBVIOUSLY YOU MISSED THAT.

15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

So, you're saying the higher the usage the lower his percentages are? As of now, based upon what we know, he's best used as a role player off the bench, correct?

And if that's the case, like I said earlier, I think the Rockets can get that production in FA at a lesser cost than spending a #3 pick in the draft.

coachbadlee likes this.
  16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

We know that.

17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Exactly. It's so ridiculous.

cml750, AroundTheWorld and Easy like this.
  18. CXbby

CXbby Member

This is correct for any player who has ever played in the history of basketball.

There are no other sure fire stars available at #3, or #1 this year. It shows that he would be a generational shooter if you use him as a role player, and he should still shoot 40% at higher usage in an expanded role.

19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Who's the 10 million dollar a year player in FA that's gonna come in and replace one of our starters, and move us out of that bottom tier in shooting? You presume Sheppard will only be a bench player 4 years, and won't develop skills with more experience and a higher level of coaching. That's crazy.

Sure, some guys don't raise those shooting percentages up after 3 years, like Jalen, but that doesn't speak for everyone, and especially guys who demonstrated consistently shooting at the highest level for in decades, with high BBIQ. Not only that, the kid has a very high steal rate. Quick hands and great timing, along with great court vision and passing are added skills that can't be taught. Those are natural skills.

#1259 deb4rockets, Jun 10, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2024
    cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think he will be a starter on this team, I think he will be a role/bench player, about 15 - 20 minutes a game. And like I said in an EARLIER POST, similar to what the Boston Celtics are doing. They are an avg 3pt shooting team, nothing like Golden State was, their best 3pt shooters are coming off the bench.

I think the Rockets need another player with length in their starting 5, either at the center position or at the SF position. Thats the reason why I think Sarr would be perfect for this team!

However, for what Reed Sheppard would bring, especially now, we can get that in FA and it will be proven.

coachbadlee likes this.