1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Whitmore putting in work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Sep 12, 2023.

?

Is he ready with a bigger role and more responsibilities AKA minutes - this early

This poll will close on Sep 12, 2025 at 3:14 AM.
  1. yes

308 vote(s)
    84.8%
  2. no

55 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

MY GAWD that aggression - superstar incomming.

DD

2. bcast89

bcast89 Member

Watching the finals right now and if Cam can become anything close to Jaylen Brown, we’ll be set at SG.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Man if Udoka can get Whitmore’s defense to Jaylen Brown’s level we will have a heck of a player.

I see his future as primarily an excellent shooter. Excellent at floaters, cutting, transition and close outs. Good defender. Solid rebounder for his position. Will have a good handle by the time he’s in his early to mid 20’s. Might develop a post game to bully smaller guards to the basket.

He must improve dramatically at defense, creating and/or getting to the FT line to elevate his career. Let’s hope he has a good work ethic.

4. bustamove

bustamove Member

Just like Bari's significant shooting efficiency improvement, I believe Cam and Amen will significantly improve at least 1 aspect of their games

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

At SF

6. leebigez

leebigez Member

Cam is fluid and strong in his body. He just needs to learn when and when not to be aggressive

don grahamleone and DaDakota like this.
  7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Or that being aggressive doesn’t mean always shooting the ball yourself.

leebigez likes this.
  8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

He will get that once his playing time is solidified.....he is trying to make an impression by what he does best....attack.

DD

Plowman and red5rocket like this.
  9. leebigez

leebigez Member

I feel better with him starting vs Green

DaDakota likes this.
  10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

In the long run, I agree. This coming year maybe too soon to expect Cam to start at the two and be successful right out of the hole though.

don grahamleone and glimmertwins like this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Sometimes people have weird feeling and it's okay.

don grahamleone and Mathloom like this.
  12. bustamove

bustamove Member

I'm pretty sure majority of CF feel the same way

Corrosion likes this.
  13. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Sengun
    Jabari
    Eason
    Whitmore
    Amen

14. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Ah yes, following the herd, the mark of a true intellectual.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

And Jaylen Brown considers himself a small forward too FYI

coachbadlee and Dobbizzle like this.
  16. bcast89

bcast89 Member

I feel like Tari is our future SF. Cam is like a combo SG/SF depending on how big or small we play.

Moe likes this.
  17. OremLK

OremLK Member

I can see it going either way. Both have so little NBA experience at this point--Tari obviously has more than Cam but with how much time he missed this season, I think they're both really in that "mystery box" category. A lot is going to depend on their development, on other moves the Rockets make, the development of other players and who fits best together.

I definitely see Cam as the more "go get me a bucket" option, and Tari as the more obvious heir apparent to the Dillon Brooks defense-first philosophy. But Cam could also become a much better defender than he is now, and probably will under Ime, so who even knows at this point?

And it's so strongly impacted but what happens with the rest of the roster. Is Amen a point guard? Because he might legitimately end up being the best defensive player on the roster? If he's not, whose slot on the wing does he take? Does Jalen flame out or soar?

All really interesting questions. I'm not ready to crown anybody the future starting anything on the roster except maybe Sengun, who's proven more than anybody else at this point among our young prospects (and also we have nobody else at center long-term).

bcast89 likes this.
  18. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

If Jalen doesn't flame out and Amen is a PG (the gameplan so far,) I see no reason why you couldn't start Amen/Jalen/Cam and then Cam slides to the 2 if Tari's on, or Amen slides to the 3 if the backup PG needs minutes and Cam's on, or Jalen slides to the 1, Cam to the 2 and Tari in the 3. This is why it's crazy that so many people root for Jalen to fail after that month. The flexibility of a backcourt rotation of Amen/Jalen/backup PG(Sheppard I'd hope) and then a wing rotation of Cam/Tari with Bari also able to slide either way out of the 4 would be potentially unprecedented.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

He is a better player than Green - and isn't a front runner, he competes regardless of the score, Jalen is a soft, front runner - sure he can score on occasion but he is so inconsistent and unreliable.

Cam will eventually take his job, he is just bigger, stronger, and more aggressive.

And at SG, that is a major advantage.

DD

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Actually the herd is following me ..... I was way out in front of the "Jalen is inefficient" talk - like since half way through his rookie year.

The only thing he's done to make any of us believe anything different since was an 8 game hot streak - then back to business as usual, getting benched to close the season.

I hope he puts it all together because as Stone has pointed out, no one else on this roster has his natural ability. Jalen working out makes the team better .... but the leash is short.