1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston offered "several" Nets picks to Brooklyn for Mikal Bridges

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jan 31, 2024.

1. xaos

xaos Member

Totally agree

rockets1995 and Mr.Scary like this.
  2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Who's arguing that? All I said was he isn't the most clutch player. And that's facts. He didn't need to be cuz that team was so good they just blew teams out rarely played close games. But when they had to play close games like game 7 of finals, you saw how Cleveland could shut down the warriors offense without KD.

3. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Replacing Dillon with Bridges makes us an instant finals contender. As far as losing the next “curry” you gotta ask yourself if Curry would have only scored 3 points against Oakland in the tournament. I also believe that Curry was a starter on his college team unlike Reed. Coach didn’t trust Reed’s size, defense, ball handling enough to start the guy we want to pick 3rd????? Agree that he is a special three point shooter, but there were multiple other players who shot 47-50% that we can nab later in the draft or as undrafted.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

RAPTOR did not have metrics this season. Though, for the last season it did put out numbers, he's listed as 44th in their WAR.
    EPM has him in the Top 50 this year in Estimated Wins in an off year, and he was likely there the past 3 seasons as well.
    His rate stats have him outside the Top 50 usually, but rate stats don't factor in that he plays more basketball than others.

Mathloom likes this.
  5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Say what?

6. xaos

xaos Member

Lmfao

7. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Raptor has stats, they're just on Neil Paine's (one of the creator's) substack now.

This year Mikal Bridges all-in-one stats:
    EPM - 97th
    Darko DPM - 157th
    LEBRON - the app is down right now, but it was in the 70th-100th range IIRC
    RAPTOR - 59th

Andy Bailey publishes a list averaging all-in-one metrics on his twitter. Using the straight average isn't good statistical work, but whatever. Bridges is 84th, three spots behind Amen Thompson.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You seem uninformed with some inaccuracies.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I apologize for not knowing RAPTOR was on a substack now.

Dunksandthrees (EPM) still has Mikal Bridges as the 46th in their all-in-one stat estimated wins stat this year and probably the preceding 3. Estimated wins is more all-in-one than their EPM stat as EPM does not count in minutes.

RAPTOR had him at 44th in 22-23, 15th in 21-22, and 16th in 20-21.

I'd say those are seven data points that suggests Bridges is a Top 50 player. Maybe there is more evidence he isn't, but let's not pretend "
    There is no respected all-in-one metric that says Mikal is a top 50 player" when two of the authorites you list have him in the Top 50 multiple times over the past 4 years when using their most all-in-one stat.

If one wants to use per minute stats without any minutes minimum, sure, Bridges is not Top 50. I tend to think Bridges playing in 15 additional games while some other guys are sipping on pina coladas adds value.

10. JW86

JW86 Member

Say what now?!

raining threes likes this.
  11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The Warriors have 2 rings without KD. So they found enough offense to do that during their run. Curry is the centerpiece of that dynasty period. He’s got two with KD & two without him.

12. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Lol you don't even know what you are arguing. It's obvious you are the biggest curry fan. I never said he wasn't a centerpiece of a dynasty. I never said he wasn't a great player. All I said is he isn't the most clutch and proved it to you because he's 0-12 in the playoffs in game winners. You literally commented on my post about him not being clutch. Before his last finals against Boston he wasn't great on the biggest stage but he put it all to bed with that series. But I mean how did Iguodala get a finals mvp over him??

clutchdabear likes this.
  13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

How did Cedric Maxwell get one over Bird?
    How did Kawhi get one over Tim Duncan, Parker & Ginobli?
    Franchise guys are called such because they are the most valuable.
    Media Narratives get painted when role players play well in big moments but they often times just misguided. I mean it’s entertainment.

Iggy was valuable but to say he was more valuable than Curry was silly. There not even there much less winning without Curry.

#913 TEXNIFICENT, Jun 3, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2024
    raining threes likes this.
  14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Bridges was the guy a lot of people/teams thought could maybe be THAT guy 3 years ago. He had a ton of upside while on the Suns. Since being in Brooklyn, he’s proven he definitely isn’t that. He can contribute to a good team, but he’s definitely not a top dog. Not even close.

Pistol Pete likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Did anyone really think Bridges was that guy though?

As a scorer after he scored a lot in Brooklyn I saw him as maybe a 2nd guy on a championship team while now it’s more like he can be your 2nd or 3rd highest scorer playing off ball fairly often so he can get back to elite defense like his Phoenix days before he had playmaking responsibilities.

I don’t think anyone ever thought he was worth 4-5 picks. Marks is a maniac if he turned down 3-4 picks for Bridges. I think he leaked fake info to the press trying to inflate Bridges value but everyone called his bluff and stepped back. He’s going to get traded for 1-2 picks.

Just want to upgrade Brooks, nothing fancy. Roughly similar defensive ceiling but much better shooting and transition game. Won’t demand the max when expiring imo, I think we can extend him. Wouldn’t trade more than 1 good pick and one highly protected pick for him. I’d acquire the highly protected one by trading Brooks to a contender for an expiring contract and a FRP. So really we only send pick #3 and Brooks for Bridges. Any more expensive than that, I’m out.

16. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports
    Supporting Member

It is absolutely PR manufactured quite skillfully by the Nets via NY writers … and that should tell you that the rumors about Rockets offers are part of the same campaign. Which is why it is so silly people keep slamming Stone for making an offer he almost certainly did not make (or at least as reported - maybe he offered back picks with heavy protections?)

carl_herrera likes this.
  17. theDude

theDude Member

I don’t think you’re going to get that FRP from Brooks. Which contender needs a defensive-minded SF and still has a FRP to give up? If anything, I think Brooks will have to go to a team rebuilding that needs to take on salary, which will cost us picks (though maybe just some seconds).
    I believe the real offer was determined to be a swap of their own picks back for the Phoenix picks they held. That’s quite a bit different than originally reported and, personally, I think still stupid they didn’t accept.

cmlmel77 and jim1961 like this.
  18. MystikArkitect

Lol what

Snow Villiers likes this.
  19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

He’s a little slow that one.

20. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

You can thank an injured CLV team with no Love no Kyrie for one of those

And an injured DEN team with no Murray and Porter for the other.

Dude is the best shooter in the league and that's where it stops.