1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just move up to get Sarr?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by glynch, Jun 1, 2024.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The top 5 in next year's draft could end up being ranked higher than Sarr this year, so I don't know why you'd want to move up while trading away a shot at a potential stud pick next year. For all I know Sarr could end up being the greatest 7-footer ever, but right now, he's not some "generational" or "unicorn" talent and you could be trading away a future one to get him. Sarr can be impressive, but I'm not dying to get him right now.

coachbadlee and xiki like this.
  2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

NBA all-star PFs
    Giannis
    Banchero
    Randle
    LeBron

The only one of those who seems mildly available is Randle. And I doubt he plays an all-star game again....

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You know what, I would expect this from a newbie on here, but not you. You know better.

4. pmac

pmac Member

What is Sarr good at?

Sarr is the reason people call this a weak draft. There's actual quite a few players who project to have long solid careers in the draft just not any guaranteed all star type players. Sarr, may even go on to have a great career. But, til this point he hasn't displayed any elite talent.

xtruroyaltyx and OremLK like this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What do you disagree with?

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Defense basically--he's a great shotblocker and plays mobile, switchable defense. Don't know if I'd say "elite", but teams are always excited when they can get a 7-footer this long and agile with solid defensive instincts.

Similar overall package to Evan Mobley, maybe a little less advanced in some areas.

But yes, it's a weak draft and a guy this raw potentially going #1 is a good demonstration of that.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The Rockets starting a rookie off the bench over Amen and Aaron Holiday.

8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Well done. Slow clap

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

His ability to move on defense, his weakside defense, switchability, and maybe pop a shot when left open (maybe...). There's a clip of him guarding Ron Holland out on the perimeter that somewhat showcases his ability to be switchable and guard on the perimeter, but, as with everything else, I don't know how well that will translate to the NBA where the players are faster, bigger, and better ball handlers, in general.

OremLK likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, I think the misunderstanding is that I never suggested Sheppard would start as a rookie, I said he'd come off the bench behind FVV his rookie season then replace FVV the next season.

Also, it's not "over Amen", I have Amen starting technically at the 3 but essentially playing the 1 on offense. When it comes to more modern players, giving them traditional labels for their positions is really more of a technicality than anything.

I have the 2025-2026 Rockets starting lineup looking like

Sengun
    Smith
    Amen
    Cam
    Sheppard

This is obviously barring any major trades.

Aaron Holiday is not a relevant player in any way.

clutchdabear likes this.
  11. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Sheppard is an upgrade over Holiday. Dude thought he was MJ lol

12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

What if Reed is JJ Reddick or worse Jeremy Lin?

I don't think anybody in this draft is a can't miss. However, is it better to gamble on height and length or someone who probably won't be able to get his shot off in the NBA?

No Worries likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Then it's still not as bad as when they wasted the #2 pick on Jalen Green.

So if the really unlikely scenario that Reed Sheppard turns into a completely different type of player than he ever has been in his life plays out, it's not even the worst draft pick Stone has made recently.

I do find it pretty funny that this "probably won't be able to get his shot off in the NBA" nonsense keeps getting repeated though because there's flat out no reason to think that would happen given that it wasn't ever really a problem in college and the Rockets currently have a smaller and less athletic PG who doesn't struggle to get his shot off.

It's like you guys just ran out of legit things to say so you felt like you had to make things up.

cml750 and clutchdabear like this.
  14. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

lol at Holiday playing ahead of Sheppard

15. aelliott

aelliott Member

Amen doesn't currently have the skills to play PG in the NBA. Obviously, he'll be working on it heavily but it's going to take some time. He was awsome in the dunker role last year though. Once they moved him to the dunker spot, he was the best rebounder on the team. His defense is already elite.

Aaron Holiday is a FA and likely will be playing somewhere else next season.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

I think Sarr will be this drafts version of Jabari Smith. Not that Jabari Smith is bad (LOVE Bari).. but i think he’s just right now the token pick on paper because teams haven’t been able to see up and close yet to fall in love with some of these other guys.

I say this to say the Rockets might be drafting Sarr at 3 anyways. So I wouldn’t at this point be putting out an effort to trade up for him just yet.

OremLK likes this.
  17. OremLK

OremLK Member

It's possible. This lottery is very close in talent level. In the middle of the year I started seeing Sarr get mocked as falling a bit, and his stock seems to have rebounded now. You can see Atlanta falling in love with Risacher and Washington falling for Castle or Topic, for example.

It would be funny if he drops and both him and Sheppard are on the board. Maximum drama 'round here if that happened and we took Sarr, I expect.

dobro1229 likes this.
  18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Every player who had success in college, doesn't necessarily have success in the NBA. Remember, Jimmer Fredette?

Jimmer Fredette and Reed has very similar styles, same height, build and both were compared to, ironically, Steph Curry. However, Jimmer didn't make it. So, as you see, there are big questions!

Questions about Sarr, questions about Risacher and questions about Reed

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, but you know what translates the best? Shooting.

I'm not sure why you want to force a Jimmer comparison that simply isn't there....sure they are both white players that can shoot, but that's the end of the comparison. It's super lazy or dishonest analysis.

You could do the same lazy analysis of every player to ever be drafted and make the same strength of case to pass on them....even guys like Lebron.

20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

First of all, I said both players were being compared to STEPH CURRY who is not white! Color never came into our debate until YOU brought it up.

However, Jimmer's game and success is erily similar to that of Reed's, you have to admit?
    And Fredette had success in college from his Freshman season in the NCAA TOURNAMENT, until he left, unlike Reed.