1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

Poll closed Wednesday at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

18.2%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

8.9%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.8%
  4. Donovan Clingan

9.0%
  5. Zach Edey

3.4%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.1%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.5%
  8. Reed Sheppard

43.2%
  9. Nikola Topić

7.7%
  10. Dalton Knecht

1.1%
  1. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

I like Cody too. I voted for Shepard but if he goes 1 or 2. Its Cody for me. Maybe trade down and pick up a future 1st.

No Worries and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  2. MystikArkitect

So we need a center and weak side shot blocker who can also be a movement shooter and be a floor general while also being an assistant coach.

Tuckmose likes this.
  3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If you’re talking about the point in the interview I recall, George was answering Sheppard’s question about what PG had to get better at and grow at over his first three years in the NBA.

cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I think I’m coming around on Topic…especially with how some people don’t view Amen as the future PG.

But same thing as Clingan and Sengun about the spacing and brick city

Same with Topic and Amen they both can’t be on the floor at the same time since they both can’t shoot and teams will dare them to shoot and sag off of them.

Two non shooters will ruin our spacing

But Topic is a true PG a true pick and roll maestro and a true floor general just don’t see how he and Amen both fit into future plans.

Bo6, saleem, Mathloom and 2 others like this.
  6. awc713

awc713 Member

Amen is the PG. his shooting will improve…he is not a 3.

BaselineFade, Mathloom, cbass and 3 others like this.
  7. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

My top pick if he didn't re-injury his knee again.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

It wasn’t considered serious

9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Topics defensive ability is a concern as well

saleem likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I've watched A LOT more film lately, and I've definitely seen a basis for some of the Sheppard criticism, there were a lot of times he was way too conservative with his decision making. I still attribute a lot of that to being a rookie on a stacked roster just trying to stick to the role you're given, but it doesn't matter, the tape still exists.

I've also watched quite a bit more of Topic and I think I'm good if we get either of those guys.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I could be convinced to draft several of these kids ....

Risacher
    Sheppard / Topic
    Castle / Williams / Salaun

No Worries and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. Chad Butler

Chad Butler Member

To be honest, I wouldn’t draft Sheppard at 3. Maybe if we had a lower pick but his talent is too much of a wildcard given his archetype of player in the league. People talk about him like he’s Wardell Curry II twice over, let’s get serious here.

Risacher makes the most sense. We still need more consistent shooting, he already has a good floor with that to start out with. He could be our Michael Porter Jr. but with better defense. No need to overthink this.

I like Buzelis as well but I will admit he would be a reach at 3 as well. If they traded down to get him and pick up another pick (possibly to select Kel’El Ware), I would be very pleased with that outcome. Remember this is the 3rd overall pick, not the 8th.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Shep is still my top guy. After that probably Risacher. Not a fan of Topic. But i think Reed is bpa and best fit.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Topic is young and mostly playing in a very easy league, you will be getting a player with only raw unteachable skill.

To point at something missing like 3pt shot is not very meaningful. We're building this player. He's basically an international HS player. It's odd because he passes the ball like he's been playing 40 years but the rest of his game obviously you treat it as though you're drafting someone out of high school.

You pick this guy for what he'll be in 2 years. I think he'll end up a top 3 player in this draft.

No Worries and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm still in favor of trading the pick. If the Rockets select and retain Sheppard, I'm okay with it.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Bo6

Bo6 Member

it's really a toss up between BPA and fit... because Topic & Reed are on the opposite ends of the spectrum in this regard.

I think Topic will be a really good player but I don't see it happening here because we simply don't have the right personnel to maximize his strengths.. so do you still pick him anyways? Rosters can be extremely volatile in the NBA and you're only 1 injury away from going in a different direction completely.

saleem and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. prs325

prs325 Member

Topic is Giddy

18. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The question must be asked: Does he make players around him better? Sheppard definitely makes players around him better.
    • His court vision drives his high assist rate, leading to easy looks for teammates.
    • His 52% 3-point shooting creates enormous court spacing, opening up passing lanes and creating open shots for teammates.
    • His steals rate was very high -- which leads to easy baskets in transition.
    Ultra high basketball IQ on top of that.

Sheppard has the highest floor in the draft, and possible unicorn ceiling. He would be an amazing selection at #3.

19. Lovemachine2000

Pretty bold to call a skinny 6 foot 2 white guy a unicorn, but that's just me.

Jrocketj, Dobbizzle and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Is he a true PG?
    Can he run an offense?
    How is his handle?

saleem and Lovemachine2000 like this.