1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

18.3%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

8.9%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.8%
  4. Donovan Clingan

9.1%
  5. Zach Edey

3.4%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.1%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.5%
  8. Reed Sheppard

42.9%
  9. Nikola Topić

7.8%
  10. Dalton Knecht

1.1%
  1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Buzelis couldn't shoot the 3 in the G-League. He also avoided physical contact, nor is he a remarkable defender by any means.

BasketballMind likes this.
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It just shows that as "credible" as those opinions were from all the experts, Jalen didn't shock and awe everyone with great basketball IQ, shooting, passing, and defense when he came on this team. It's been a 3 year process, as a starter. Even halfway through his 3rd season his pouting on the bench, his lack of effort at times, and his horrific shooting at times, and turnovers had many questioning him, and even considering trading him. It wasn't just me. Even his FG% wasn't great. So, laugh all you want, but Sheppard could very well be a very impactful player and great fit for this team, with his maturity, drive, and BBIQ. One thing you don't hear about him is that he is lazy on the court, selfish, or immature, and that's a plus from a young player.

#1682 deb4rockets, May 18, 2024
    Last edited: May 18, 2024
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

We are the biggest morons in the world if we don't draft Reed Sheppard.

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I prefer Sheppard to Jalen, but to be fair, I didn't see pouting from him - not like KPJ.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I know teams have Matas high on their boards, and as a developmental prospect I get it, because he’s super tall, athletic and has tools to work with. But I think he’s way too raw to be taken at #3, and I don’t see Matas and Risacher in the same tier. To me Risacher is a top 3 pick in this draft. With him you are getting a guaranteed switchy two-way high level shooter with length. That can really help us.

#1685 Aruba77, May 18, 2024
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He just gave interviews where he questioned Ime Udoka's offensive choices early into the season which is probably correct but as a young player you do not do it and especially not to a coach that has made the Finals.

While it was no direct pouting, it was a sign that he was not content with his situation.

7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

You would draft him over Risacher? That would be a hard call…

8. OkayAyeReloaded

I hear you, if he pans out he can be a great fit. I've been watching whole games of his and he is a true point guard and sets the table for others. He's very unselfish in that respect and although he was the leading scorer in High school he seems almost too unselfish at times and deferring to others.

He makes few mistakes, shoots at a special percentage, and helps on team defense but seems to gamble at times. He can give good contests to shots due to his vertical, but can occasionally get blown by his man laterally, where Kentucky's bigs would cover for him.

He comes from basketball bloodlines, his dad won an NCAA championship and mom played ball too. What concerns me there is his dad was a bust in the NBA and had very close percentages at times to Reed in College. His film screams role player so far, but the question is maybe he wasn't unlocked, or maybe he doesn't have it to blossom I don't know. Here are some full games of his people can watch, along with his Dad, Jeff Sheppard's stats.

Jeff Sheppard (Reed's dad)
    6'3 190 lbs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/sheppje01.html

Shark44, Easy and Corpusfan like this.
  9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No.

BI fortifies our weakest position, and he brings more, (when healthy and away from Zion) than most realize. There's an overlay regarding last year, and his Pelican stint in general. 2 way Ime guy who will blend well with Sengun on both sides of the ball.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I'd draft him with the no. 1 pick, too.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

If I remember it correctly, it wasn't an "interview", it was a statement in a profanity-laced argument with Roosh (which he might have foolishly regarded as a "private" conversation).

12. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I hate BI's game so much. He's just dribble dribble dribble dribble pull up 2. He's good at that but it's just a really corny way to play basketball. As the kids now would say, he's the Von Wafer of Kevin Durants. Can we just go for Trey Murphy who's on the same team and gonna be better than BI anyway?

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Apparently Risacherre is dominating a playoff game right now. Just after I watched a game from March where he was ass. Guess it was just a bad game!

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

#1694 J.R., May 18, 2024
    Hui, Shark44, KingCheetah and 3 others like this.
  15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Sarr? Risacher? Or Clingan? #1

16. OkayAyeReloaded

He had the tools, but I was wondering if he was soft mentally as I didn't have enough info. But Risacher just answered that question by performing well under pressure so far in a playoff game. I would have him over Reed at this point if he continues playing like this.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  17. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

The Risacher late season push is such good news to the Rockets, increasing the chances that Sarr will drop to 3rd. And if the two teams ahead pass on him and he’s so great a prospect, we pick him at three. I’m team Reed but the Rockets won’t lose in this situation.

Arnel, Zen Tabak and Strawberry Gum like this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Yea risacher won’t make it to 3

Arnel, thegary, Bo6 and 1 other person like this.
  19. OkayAyeReloaded

This is a great game for scouting purposes. This game has Sarr vs Matas Buzelis and Ron Holland, and Perth vs G league Ignite.

This was one of Sarr's breakout games where he turned heads and had two good games against Ignite, His 31-year-old teammate Cotton had 40, but 19-year-old Sarr came off the bench and had 26 pts 10 rebs, and 6 blocks on 10-14 shooting. You can view all of them as Holland had an excellent game, and Matas was solid.

https://www.espn.com/nba-g-league/boxscore/_/gameId/401592230

pippendagimp and J.R. like this.
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Perfect answer if we are drafting for fit. But by most accounts, we are drafting BPA which may or may not yield a player with a good shot.