1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

We have to trade Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PatBev, May 12, 2024.

1. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

so a 16th pick is a win or lose depending on 2 mvps or none. someone shoot this guy. really. no pain. just shoot him :p

2. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Haha.

Accident.

Bari would be backing up Johnson at the 4.

Plenty of interchangeable pcs.

Training camp decides rotation.

astrosrule likes this.
  3. PatBev

PatBev Member

These are just my ignorant thoughts and I’m just trying to have a healthy conversation about it

4. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

OK first of all.

I don't want to trade Sengun.

I don't want to trade ANY of the core 6.

Nor the #3

But if you think Sarr is not a runner, fast or quick, you haven't seen him play.

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I have watched him play, against bad competition.
    Edey tested faster than him.
    He’s a strong leaper, but those numbers are not great

cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't understand people.

Maybe Sarr will turn out to be a decent or good player in the NBA.

But if you compare his performance in a much weaker league to that of Sengun in the Turkish league at the same age, it's simply not even close.

People then sometimes want to make the argument that "because of his athletic potential" (Stromile Swift, anyone?), he will eventually be unstoppable. But the NBA Draft Combine measurements are not spectacular - good leaper for a big guy, that's it.

So why are people so infatuated with him?

I just hope Atlanta or Washington think the same way.

cml750 and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I actually like Sarr, as a compliment to Alp and Jabari. But no way he replaces either

cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

So many wanting to get rid of JG for lack of efficiency, but Trae's also a chucker???

26/3/11 on 37% from deep and a 58TS%

And that kid, the one who shot 52% from 3 and was near the top in all the combine tests including a 42" vertical which was #1. He's smart, a pesky defender and exactly the type of player this team needs.

9. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Man you're right he's slow... not quick at all.

Defense looks questionable.

10. PatBev

PatBev Member

Since there is a slight difference of opinion in my original post I cooked up something a little better

Pistons
    Sengun
    Brooks (dont want that contract another 3 years)

Rockets
    Ausar
    1st pick

Hawks
    3rd pick
    5th pick

I would probably keep the 5th and offer the 3rd + future Nets pick or two if Hawks accepted

11. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

:cool:

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He tested slow.
    He played against lower competition.

cml750 likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Would the Hawks trade #1 for Sengun?

14. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I'm sure he was going all out when he's already the projected #1. Surprised he tested at all.

15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think it's healthy to question the long term future with Sengun. Settling on a dude to build around is NOT something to be taken lightly. Where you ****ed up though is bringing Sarr into this. I think Sarr at the expense of Sengun is a different topic than "I have doubts about Sengun" and I agree generally that Sarr is not worth sacrificing Sengun unless you make sure you are getting something else of better value in return.

FWIW I also have doubts about Sengun but the appropriate question for that conversation is "what if Sengun's ceiling is closer to Domatas Sabonis instead of guy who is completely unique in Nikola Jokic?" Everyone wants to go hard into how Sengun is Jokic 2.0 but I think the odds of that are slim to say the least(for one, Segun doesn't have near the length and "space" that Jokic does physically) and it begs the question of if Sengun is more likely to be like a good player with little success to date like Sabonis(who by all accounts is just a more efficient version of Sengun with a few less shot attempts), then how does that impact our long term plans?

Sabonis has been really good since he was in Indy, moved to Sacramento and has been on some competitive teams and yet hasn't had any playoff success. What lessons are there to gleam from a guy as good as Sabonis(who remember - looks like a more efficient Alperen Sengun) who hasn't seen success in Sacramento in the Western Conference despite having an all star PG, a ROY candidate, and one of the best 6th men in the league(Monk)...and oh by the way- the team who traded him has seen more success with Haliburton.

There are REAL questions any Rockets fan should be asking...instead of the questions Sengun stans are asking:
    Is he the best player on this team? - obviously yes (but also we are a lotto team, who really cares about the best player on a lotto team?)...or Will Sengun be the next Jokic? - obviously no because it took the lifetime of NBA basketball for their to be one Jokic...how would a second pop up so quickly? Sengun stans have to ask Sacramento fans how having a 20+/10+/8+ ultra efficient perennial All Star making max money and being capped out in the West is working out for them. And remember the cap rules recently changed to discourage a "big three" so you really have to make sure your big 2 is legit.

I'm not saying Sengun can't work out - but you are a complete fool if you don't consider the other side of that coin because you dont have the squint very hard to see how Sabonis/Fox/Barnes looks like a more efficient version of Sengun, Jalen, and Brooks.

16. PatBev

PatBev Member

I need this kid on this team

Would teams even get rebounds against us with Amen and Sarr grabbing everything or slamming that **** back in

If Amen develops his pg skills can ya'll imagine that pick & roll

17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I don't wear glasses but I borrowered some, just to be sure but he looks damn fast and quick to me.

Believe It! likes this.
  18. maypk

maypk Member

A full page of Sengun-Sabonis comparison for no apparent good reason.

There's a 99% chance that Sengun will not be as good as Jokic, but there's also a 100% chance that he'll be better than Sabonis. As a matter of fact, Sengun, at age 21, is already a much better offensive player than Prime Sabonis, and I'm pretty sure he has already drawn more double teams this season than Sabonis has in his entire NBA career.

19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

If they can move up to get Sarr, with Amen, Bari, Tari and Green!!! Man!

20. maypk

maypk Member

Obviously, it's completely hypothetical and that lineup is never going to happen, but I would bet my left kidney on that starting 5 to never make a post season appearence for 10 years.